PDA

View Full Version : Over night care Yes or No and why?

Annelize
15-09-2012, 08:47 PM
How many if you ladies do it? How much do you charge specially if its a Saturday?
I charge £7.50 per hour on weekend (average babysitting fee in my area) and have enquiry starting on a Sat 1pm - Sun morning 8.30am. I thought to charge a flat night rate 8pm - 6am/7am and then my £7.50 the other hours.
Would really appreciate your thoughts on this. We dont really tend to do weekends any more but could do with the money.
Also those who do it how do you really find it? Is it not a bit awkward the first time?

blue bear
15-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't do it now, not been asked for years but to be honest it wouldn't fit with my family life I work flat out all week and need the weekend to recover

appleblossom
16-09-2012, 08:43 AM
I started doing it in June this year for one LO on request from his Mum. I'd never done it before and my first reaction when she asked was to say no. My DC arev 25 and 16 and the thought of going back to disturbed nights filled me with horror. But the Mum is a single parent and struggling to get established in her first job so I said I would give it a go and see how it went, but being clear that if I wasn't happy with it I would stop.

I only do this week nights and wouldn't even consider weekend overnight care.
I charge my normal hourly rate, which is £3.50, from 6pm normal finishing time to 8am normal starting time. That works out at 14 hours £42.00. Mum and I are both happy with that. She had expected to pay about £50.00.

It has all worked out OK. The LO goes happily to bed and sleeps 12 hours without disturbing us. Mum is really pleased and I feel it has made our working relationship even stronger.

jake
18-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi sorry to butt in on your post!But were you already registered to offer overnight care?Or did you have to ask ofsted first?Also do you have a spare room for this? Thanks jake:)

rachelle
18-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I do it. I have one whose parent is in the forces and away for months at a time, other parent has evening work things etc so easier to keep child here.

Annalize - No need to register now - risk assess and keep for Ofsted to see :)

jane5
18-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I have done it once for a mindee that I had regular days whose parents were going to a wedding and staying overnight.

As it was a one off I only charged them my regular hourly rate and it cost £88 for Sunday day and night and they collected mon morning.

I wouldnt do it on a regular basis as it interferes with my family life to much. This lo has left now and moved on to preschool but I am doing another overnight for them later in the year and will still charge them my regular hourly rate.

If I was doing it so a parent could work I would charge double rate for sat and sunday and maybe a fixed rate of £50 for 8pm - 6am ish.

hectors house
18-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I only offer it for current mindees (have had complete strangers ring up asking me to have their kids at short notice over a weekend), have only done it couple of times, mostly for weddings and parties. Just charged my normal rate all the time I had them as even when they are asleep I don't sleep well myself. You need to have a monitor between your room and theirs and I put up a stair gate on their bedroom door if they aren't in a cot to stop them wandering in night.

Boris
18-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I do it. I have one whose parent is in the forces and away for months at a time, other parent has evening work things etc so easier to keep child here.

Annalize - No need to register now - risk assess and keep for Ofsted to see :)

Seriously? Have they removed that restriction too? Wow, they are really scaling back aren't they.

jake
20-09-2012, 09:19 AM
We do have to inform ofsted if we decide to offer overnight care,and at least two weeks before we intend to to do this.But must have a monitor in the room and do a risk assessment also!:) Jake