PDA

View Full Version : Plug safety sockets - Yes or No?

Annelize
15-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi, what is everyone else's thoughts on this http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ I use safety plugs but now thinking I shouldn't?

LittleLadybirds
15-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I removed all of mine after looking at the information on their website. My house had just been fully rewired, so I knew the sockets were definitely up t standard.

I printed off a bit of stuff from the website and from the Ofsted inspectors newsletter from ofsted website about socket protectors, and just put it with my risk assessment. Bizarrely, when I had my inspection in May the inspector said that she had noticed that childminders were stopping using socket covers but didn't know why until she read my paperwork - ermm... perhaps she should have asked?!?!

tess1981
15-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I never used them with my children but I have to use them with mindees as SS will pull you on it and its a requirement

JCrakers
15-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't use them after reading up.

I just said in my RA why I don't use them :D

rickysmiths
15-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I have not used them for years as they are a hazzard.

I was rewired in my flat and our house was rewired before we moved in and was done again throughout 2 years ago when we had a large extension and remodeled the whole ground floor, it was easier to ripe out everything and start again!

You might find this interesting it is a Thread by the guy of Fatally Flawed. If you search 'Socket Covers' other threads come up as well.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55231&highlight=Socket+Covers

Mcgons
15-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I was advised to use them even after I showed my network coordinator the evidence..........then the council has recently advised everyone not to use them, children's centres etc, so I've stopped using them and have the letter from the council to help explain.

There was an article in Nursery World (May 2009) 'Shock tactics' which states that 'Practitioners are continuing to report that some Ofsted inspectors still regard socket covers as a safety requirement, even though Ofsted has officially confirmed to Nursery World that it does not recommend that they are used in nurseries'.