PDA

View Full Version : All of a muddle :(

child_friendly
15-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi
I have been registered since March 2012 and still haven't got my first mindee. Since registering I have done everything in regards to advertising. I got a few enquiries but they came of nothing and the interest seemed to have died off. Due to no money coming in I had to stop paying the fee for childcare.co.uk but still have my profile open and have stopped advertising to sort moving house, but I am still able to childmind. In the past few months we have been sorting out things to relocate to Sheffield from Devon so everything with regards to childminding i.e. paperwork etc has been on hold and I lost motivation to anything. We have found a house but its through an exchange (a 3 way swap) so gotta find someone wanting our house which is proving difficult. So I am putting everything in trying to sort it out. So everything is in limbo at the moment.
Sorry this is so long winded but just wanted to get it off my chest.

While I write this I am surrounded by paperwork which I am in the process of updating it to the 2012 EYFS....... I've got ur e-book Sarah which is helping :) its just taking ages as I have an 18 month old n he doesn't sleep during the day so don't get much time to do anything (even putting the kettle on is hard work :rolleyes:) I also don't get much time in the evenings! So have to do bits here and there....sorry waffling on now..I'll stop...

Well anyway, my friend has just asked me to look after her 19 month old boy while she is at school Mon-Thurs 12-2pm- days and times haven't been sorted yet (plus traveling time to and fro as she lives in the next town, I can't pick/ drop him off as I don't use the car for childminding so she understands to find transport) She has two jobs and as found out the jobcentre will pay for childcare if she goes with a registered childminder, wants to go with me as she knows me and doesn't want a random person. She knows we are in the process of moving and understands I might not be able to mind her child for long.

I have so much paperwork to get through before I take any child on (I know I should have done this ages ago, just lost motivation :( ) Its gonna be some long nights.....My heads all over the place and Im getting so lost in what I need to do..gonna have to write lists after lists of things to do :)

Well what I am asking and wondering is has or does anyone childmind for their friends children? Does it work? How would I do observations? What paperwork do I need? How does payment up front work if I would get it from the jobcentre? Would I need to do settling sessions?

Sorry again for waffling on, hope its not too much info, if wanna ask any questions please do. Also if someone could answer mine that would be great :)

sarah707
15-09-2012, 04:14 PM
It can be really hard working for friends - they often try to take advantage and abuse the friendship so do be careful.

Put the rules in place from the start - money up front, pay on time or care stops, sign paperwork before child starts etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about a LJ for the child if it's short term - a photo diary or scrap book would probably be better.

I hope it works out for you! :D