PDA

View Full Version : Help on rising 5's

emmalc
15-09-2012, 09:48 AM
My daughter who is 4 (turned 4 on the 5th sept) attends the local school nursery for 10 sessions per week can she be classed as a "rising 5" now?
Can't seem to find the answer.
Many thanks

mum24
15-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Edited by moderator - a school day is defined in the replies below and does not encompass nursery care.

nic t
15-09-2012, 10:42 AM
No she can't. She will still be one of your under 5s.

She needs to be in full time school not nursery.

JCrakers
15-09-2012, 10:45 AM
No, not until she's at school

Which will be from when she is turning 5 not 4 :D

christine e
15-09-2012, 10:45 AM
No she can't. She will still be one of your under 5s.

She needs to be in full time school not nursery.

Agree with above - to be in school would have had to have been 4 by 31st August - nursery doesn't count

blue bear
15-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Revised eyfs 3.40: childminders may also care for more children in the early years age group if the children aged four or five attend other provision for a normal school day and/or holidays

A normal school day is defined as two session with a break in the middle of the sessions.

It say other provision not school so the way I have read it is as long as your lo is at nursery for morning , lunch and afternoon session I would say she can at four be counted as a rising five for number purposes.
Obviously you need to risk assess this and be confident you have made the right decision as its you who will be inspected and judged on it.

emmalc
15-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you for your replies even though I'm still none the wiser!

I initially thought it would only apply to 4year olds who went to reception but after reading the wording from Ofsted it only states 4 and 5 year olds who attend a educational setting for 10 sessions.

My daughter does attend 10 sessions 9am all the way through until 3.30pm, she stays there for lunch. It is a school nursery not a playgroup or pre school.

I'm hoping she can be classed as I rising 5 as I currently mind a 2yr old his brother 10mths full time. I've just lost a 3 year old who is starting nursery (I had a variation in place to care for 4 under 5's).

I've now had an enquiry for a 12 mth old to start in November for 2 days a week. Work is slow round here at the minute and with caring for siblings the worry is if they leave that's all my income gone so would like to take this little part timer on.

I will ring Ofsted for clarification but fear that could be a waste of time as they consistantly give conflicting information out!!

blue bear
15-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Ofsted won't give you an answer they will just refer you to the revised standards with the answer it's up to you to work it out basically.

Three years ago I had a lo age four start private school in the nursery full time, I applied for a variation as mum wanted me to have baby sibling and including the nursery child it would take me to four under five.
I was told I did not need a variation as child was in full time school and could be counted as rising five, when questioned they confirmed it was because she was in A private school albeit the nursery but was still counted as school.
Fortunately thi gs changed and I did not need the variation or to count her as rising five as this made me some what uncomfortable as. Eyfs then clearly stated must be at school.

Looking at revised eyfs 3.40 it seems to me they have made the sensible decision of making it a level playing field, so if a child is in another setting full time they can be counted as rising five once four regardless of what sort of setting, it's the age they have focused on not whether it's school or nursery etc

Pipsqueak
15-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Thank you for your replies even though I'm still none the wiser!

I initially thought it would only apply to 4year olds who went to reception but after reading the wording from Ofsted it only states 4 and 5 year olds who attend a educational setting for 10 sessions.

My daughter does attend 10 sessions 9am all the way through until 3.30pm, she stays there for lunch. It is a school nursery not a playgroup or pre school.

I'm hoping she can be classed as I rising 5 as I currently mind a 2yr old his brother 10mths full time. I've just lost a 3 year old who is starting nursery (I had a variation in place to care for 4 under 5's).

I've now had an enquiry for a 12 mth old to start in November for 2 days a week. Work is slow round here at the minute and with caring for siblings the worry is if they leave that's all my income gone so would like to take this little part timer on.

I will ring Ofsted for clarification but fear that could be a waste of time as they consistantly give conflicting information out!!

I would say because nursery is not compulsory it is not considered under the remit you are hoping.
I have always been under the impression and there should be a thread about on here; that it has to be SCHOOL - ie from reception.

Rather than ring ofsted - ask them to clarify what they are telling you - in plain English (and not EYFS quotations) in an EMAIL - so you have written clarification.

ALWAYS get emailed confirmation from Ofsted

Tazmin68
16-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi
I asked this question at a briefing session as was referred to section 3.39 and definition of young child at bottom of page. And was told had to wait until reception.
The answer I was given was no.
Someone did then ask about section 3.40 and was told normal school day refers to reception children not any form of pre school environment.
Debbie

sarah707
16-09-2012, 12:14 PM
A school day is defined in the Children's Act as 2 sessions of school with a break in the middle.

A school day is not the same as a nursery day because a school day is compulsory while a nursery day is your choice.

A child is not in full time school (rising 5) until they start reception class.

This is what the law says - I have had it clarified by Ofsted.

Hth :D