PDA

View Full Version : those who look after children with epilepsy

mushpea
14-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I have been asked by a parent if I would look after her 10yrold with epliepsy (please exscuse my spellings) , this is somthing I am new too and whilst I am aware there are different types and different severitys I have no other knowledge of it so I wanted to ask those of you who look after a child with epelipesy what you have in place with regards to paperwork , I was thinking of doing a specific policy with regards to this childs care . I also wonder do we have to call an ambulance each time the child has a fit or does this depend on the severity and if not every time what wording do you have in place on your paperwork to back this up?
I also wanted to ask how many times you have had to call an ambulance to your eplipetic child and how you delt with this with regards to other parents worriying it would happen often.
I had a child who had a feveral convulsion , I went with him in the ambulance and my mum who happend to be visiting took the other children untill the parents arrived, one parent was asking how often this was likley to happen, I think if it had turned out to be epilepsy she would have stopped using me.
I appriciate all children with this are different so these questions may be difficult to answer but i need some idea of how to answer and reasure this parent and also reasure myself I can deal with this

rachelle
14-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I have 2 - one who just blanks out but no seizures as such and the other who has seizures. I drew up a care plan with mum which states the procedure I will follow if he does have a seizure in my care and we both signed it. It states clearly that I will be unable to travel in an ambulance with him but will call her as soon as I have called the ambulance.

I call an ambulance every time - possibly no need but I explained to mum that I am not medically trained and therefore would far rather be ott than hedging my bets. All incidents are logged and signed and the care plan updated.

The other child I make a note in the daily diary of the times of fazing out that I spot. They are up to 3 or 4 times a day and possibly more that go unnoticed. I also log what the child was doing prior to the absence and sleep patterns as they seem to follow a pattern.

hth :)

alwaysright
14-09-2012, 08:14 PM
i think really i would see parents and ask them all the questions you have as they are the only ones who would have the proper answers as they will know about the type of epilepsy that he has etc, as you say there are so many different types and he may have a type were he doesnt actually have tonic clonic seizures (that when they drop and shake, a full blown fit) my daughter has epilepsy and she has what they call complex partial seizures so she doesnt fit as such but the doctors have said that she could. the parents will be able to advise you about if he needs an ambulance after each episode but i would think unless its a serious one that he wouldnt. as he is older he may also have auras -a feelings, taste etc- and no the attack is about to happen so is able to make you aware and make him safe, and he may also be controlled with medicine so not have many seizures. my daughter just turned 11 last week and she has a care plan in school, i just asked to be contacted if it happens but they dont have to call an ambulance, so maybe if you decided to care for him you could do a care plan with the parents asking them what they want you to do in the event of an event and also get the boys input as he will know what makes him feel better and safe.
hope that helps, i must say when my daughter was first diagnosed i lived on pins for 6 months and was always thinking what would i do if the phone rang now, or what would i do if she had a seizure now, how would i sort out all the kids etc but i have relaxed a bit now :)
i have only had to phone an ambulance twice but i have to admit both times i wasnt working so i suppose if you meet with the parents and find out what his situation is - how often etc - then you will be able to decide if you could sort out your other little ones if it happens

alwaysright
14-09-2012, 08:17 PM
just to say as well our local authority had a training course called epilepsy awareness so i went on that and you may be able to access any training needs through the hospital epilepsy nurse??

mushpea
14-09-2012, 08:26 PM
thanks folks, Rachel do you have to call an ambulance reguarly? dose mum mind that you dont go with him? I only ask because as a parent I would like to think that a adult whom my child knows was with them so just wonded how parents of children who reguarly use ambulances view this
folks does anyone have an example care plan I could look at please, I have never had to write one so dont really have a clue how to do it or what to put on it.
will look up the training, thats a good idea thanks
I think what worries me most is the impact it would have on the other children in my care which is why I am askin for advice on how to deal with this. child has other SEN also with which I am fairly confident with its just the seizures that worry me as i dont want to have to be calling the other parents every week to collect their children because of this one child but then i dont want to turn this parent away either as I know she is having trouble finding somone and I love working with Sen children but this is what we will discuss monday I guess.

alwaysright
14-09-2012, 08:33 PM
i have a care plan i can send you, i did it myself, its for general medical conditions and i fill it in with the parents. i would think that the parents would not want you to call an ambulance every time as when the child is coming round they are better to see familiar faces and places, i also think that the other children just accept and can also sometimes be the first to alert you something is wrong. if you message me your email i will try and send it through

mushpea
14-09-2012, 09:01 PM
i have a care plan i can send you, i did it myself, its for general medical conditions and i fill it in with the parents. i would think that the parents would not want you to call an ambulance every time as when the child is coming round they are better to see familiar faces and places, i also think that the other children just accept and can also sometimes be the first to alert you something is wrong. if you message me your email i will try and send it through

thankyou that is very kind of you, I have pmd you, as a mum I wouldnt want my child to be in an ambulance on their own but I also see it from the point of view of the other parents who wouldnt want their children left in other peoples care reguarly, I really want to have this child and help mum but i wont do it at the risk of the care of the other children.
thankyou

alwaysright
14-09-2012, 09:10 PM
i understand exactly so i would meet with mum and see what happens, i thought when i found out about my daughter what would i do.....i had a child with downs, a child with apnea, a child with a heart condition.....it was like childrens ward here :) maybe i missed my vocation and should have been a nurse.
the other thing is as the child is ten i imagine its just after school so the time he is with you is just a few hours so then the chance of him having episodes is less than if he was with you all day iyswim....
and you could also liase with the school with the mums permission

i have snt it through by the way so hope it worked!

mushpea
14-09-2012, 09:23 PM
yes it worked and its great thanks, gives me a good idea of what I need to do, and you have reassured me loads already so thanks, my main worry is what if its regualar but i guess if hes getting the right meds then it should be under control to an extent, Yes you do sound a bit like a childrens ward lol, how do you cope with them all ! my son has SEN too so it will also be a consideration as to wether the two boys can get on.

alwaysright
14-09-2012, 09:44 PM
i think i'm lucky as the kids all get on together :-) so i suppose like you are used to dealing and coping with your sons needs or little differences it just kind of becomes normal! hope all goes well anyway when you meet up x

rachelle
14-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I only have child 6 hours a week. Mum was fine about the not going with him policy - I can't promise to have cover for the other children and if mum is rung at same time as emergency services she can be here in 10 mins. It's not ideal but it's safer than promising to accompany each time. For this child I will call each time due to age and history. I also feel it covers me. It might be different for a child with different history.

mushpea
15-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I only have child 6 hours a week. Mum was fine about the not going with him policy - I can't promise to have cover for the other children and if mum is rung at same time as emergency services she can be here in 10 mins. It's not ideal but it's safer than promising to accompany each time. For this child I will call each time due to age and history. I also feel it covers me. It might be different for a child with different history.

i see I guess i need to chat with mum and find out a bit more then go from there but is nice to have some ideas and plans of what I could suggest to her. does your one fit a lot then?