PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down on paperwork?

Fitrix
14-09-2012, 01:45 PM
As I understand it the revised eyfs aims to have us limiting ourselves to essential paperwork only - ie that which is essential to children's development.
With this in mind, I am planning to keep scrapbooks of the children - things they do/create/say and places we go - wow moments etc without all the eyfs jargon. They will reflect what the child does/engages in. My planning will be based on where each child is at in all 17 aspects and will be done monthly - to fit around my theme and tailored to move them each on.
So the only paperwork I will have is a next steps sheet for each child, their daily diary (which I share with parents) and a scrapbook (which goes with them when they leave me setting).
Can the experts amongst you tell me am I doing enough? Thankyou all!

sarah707
14-09-2012, 03:16 PM
It is completely up to you how you show that a child is making good progress while they are in your care.

You might find it helpful to read the Ofsted inspectors guidance as it will give you an indication of what your inspector will be looking for -

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/conducting-early-years-inspections

Hth :D

bunyip
14-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I've drafted a letter for parents. Could you all take a look and let me know if I missed anything? Thanks.

As a result of Ofsted's drive to reduce paperwork, I hope you will be able to find time to read and sign the following, enclosed:-

An 8-page county-issued document outlining the changes to the 'new improved' EYFS.
My new, 7-page, revised EYFS-compliant consents form (please be sure to sign all 3 sections, and state your wishes clearly on use of cameras, mobiles, and assistant; this replaces the much more concise previous consents where you may recall that only 1 signature was necessary).
My new policy documents. The observant amongst you will note that all the existing policies have been expanded, and 2 new ones added. In particular the safeguarding policy has now reached an impressive 8 pages, thanks to the addition of a mandatory section on phones and cameras.
A covering letter, explaining how I intend to fulfil my new obligations to communicate with you, arrangements for anyone for whom English is a 2nd language, and anything else I've remembered.
A slip for you to confirm your receipt, understanding, approval, and total subserviance to the above.

As of September, your child's diary will be a tad heavier. This is due to the inclusion of weekly sheets which inform you of our planning and future activities, plus suggestions for activities to do at home to extend your child's learning and development, as if you had the time (just think of it as homework for toddlers.) Those of you whose children attend only one day a week may substitute the word "daily" for the word "weekly" in the previous sentence.

Please note that I shall require a cheque for £20 per child from each of you. It's not for the cost of paper and ink. Instead, I'm feeling rather guilty about all this and I think it only fair that we should all chip in to re-forest a small area of the Amazon basin in order to offset the carbon footprint.

Kindest regards, etc.

(or something similar) :rolleyes:

EDIT - NB: Sorry. I should point out this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek (why isn't there a suitable emoticon when I need it.)

rickysmiths
14-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I've drafted a letter for parents. Could you all take a look and let me know if I missed anything? Thanks.

As a result of Ofsted's drive to reduce paperwork, I hope you will be able to find time to read and sign the following, enclosed:-

An 8-page county-issued document outlining the changes to the 'new improved' EYFS.
My new, 7-page, revised EYFS-compliant consents form (please be sure to sign all 3 sections, and state your wishes clearly on use of cameras, mobiles, and assistant; this replaces the much more concise previous consents where you may recall that only 1 signature was necessary).
My new policy documents. The observant amongst you will note that all the existing policies have been expanded, and 2 new ones added. In particular the safeguarding policy has now reached an impressive 8 pages, thanks to the addition of a mandatory section on phones and cameras.
A covering letter, explaining how I intend to fulfil my new obligations to communicate with you, arrangements for anyone for whom English is a 2nd language, and anything else I've remembered.
A slip for you to confirm your receipt, understanding, approval, and total subserviance to the above.

As of September, your child's diary will be a tad heavier. This is due to the inclusion of weekly sheets which inform you of our planning and future activities, plus suggestions for activities to do at home to extend your child's learning and development, as if you had the time (just think of it as homework for toddlers.) Those of you whose children attend only one day a week may substitute the word "daily" for the word "weekly" in the previous sentence.

Please note that I shall require a cheque for £20 per child from each of you. It's not for the cost of paper and ink. Instead, I'm feeling rather guilty about all this and I think it only fair that we should all chip in to re-forest a small area of the Amazon basin in order to offset the carbon footprint.

Kindest regards, etc.

A 7 page Permissions and Consents form and an 8 page Safeguarding Policy plus all your other Policies? That seems a huge amount to me.

I have a 2 page Consents /Permissions Form where the parents sign once and confirm they have read, agree to and have had a copy of my Policies and Complaints Procedure. They can not opt out of any of them, if they don't agree to all of them I won't sign a contract. I can't be doing with different parents agreeing to different things. What if one of your parents says they don't want you to use an Assistant for instance?

I have an 8 page Policy Document which includes my Emergency Procedures..

I don't like the phrases highlighted in blue. As a parent I would be quite offended by them. 'Homework for toddlers'! really? Isn't that going a step too far? I would have hated for my childminder to do this to me when my dd was with one.

I would be more inclined to do a newsletter format in a bit more of a chatty way. I put the childs progress in the LJ and give activity ideas on the weekly sheet but I don't go into loads of detail. As you have inferred the parents are busy and most of my parents do loads with their children anyway.

loocyloo
14-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Kindest regards, etc.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: very funny!
i pretty much said as much to all my parents!

bunyip
14-09-2012, 05:04 PM
A 7 page Permissions and Consents form and an 8 page Safeguarding Policy plus all your other Policies? That seems a huge amount to me.

I have a 2 page Consents /Permissions Form where the parents sign once and confirm they have read, agree to and have had a copy of my Policies and Complaints Procedure. They can not opt out of any of them, if they don't agree to all of them I won't sign a contract. I can't be doing with different parents agreeing to different things. What if one of your parents says they don't want you to use an Assistant for instance?

I have an 8 page Policy Document which includes my Emergency Procedures..

I don't like the phrases highlighted in blue. As a parent I would be quite offended by them. 'Homework for toddlers'! really? Isn't that going a step too far? I would have hated for my childminder to do this to me when my dd was with one.

I would be more inclined to do a newsletter format in a bit more of a chatty way. I put the childs progress in the LJ and give activity ideas on the weekly sheet but I don't go into loads of detail. As you have inferred the parents are busy and most of my parents do loads with their children anyway.

Sorry Rickysmiths, my post was not meant to be taken literally. I've edited it with a footnote to avoid causing any further misunderstandings.

I appreciate your input all the same.

In all honesty, the "homework for toddlers" phrase came from a parent who'd been online and read the EYFS framework stuff about encouraging parents to extend their learning with at-home activities.

Yes, I'm the first to admit that my policies and permissions are on the large side. I thought it was just my personal paranoia, but my Ofsted inspector just said they were "comprehensive". :D

Fitrix
14-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks Sarah! And thanks for making me laugh bunyip!
It just worries me that they are giving us free reign to do it the optimum way for us to move children along in the best way but I know full well that come an inspection, the inspectors have very individual personal opinions on what is and isn't expected. Xx

bunyip
14-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks Sarah! And thanks for making me laugh bunyip!
It just worries me that they are giving us free reign to do it the optimum way for us to move children along in the best way but I know full well that come an inspection, the inspectors have very individual personal opinions on what is and isn't expected. Xx

Oh no, noo, noo, noo, noo, NO. Surely not!!!

Oh, actually, you're probably right. :p

:laughing::laughing::laughing: