PDA

View Full Version : My LA course: Progress Check at Two... what do you make of this?

EmmaReed84
14-09-2012, 05:20 AM
So I went on my course last night... met some very people who I hope will be signing up here soon ;)

Anyway we were told we HAD to use the LA versions of the "EYFS Progess Check at Two" so that everyone is working from 1 uniform design :rolleyes:

Also we were told that in our LA health checks will be done by 2yrs 3mths so the check should be done then, we were given examples and had to say when we would do the check...

Some of the examples (not exact wording but you get the idea)...

X is 2yrs and 2 mths and joins you x sessions a week, never been in childcare before... the answer... we had to do the progress check on that child in ONE MONTH before they were 2yrs 3mths

X is 2yrs 11 months, has already had their health check and joins your care, never been in care before... the answer... Again we HAVE to do the progress check BEFORE they are 3 so in just ONE MONTH

I did find the course interesting and so actually like "elements" if their form but wanted your thoughts on this... especially being we HAD to use their forms.

EmmaReed84
14-09-2012, 05:59 AM
OMG sorry about all the errors, I was very early and I hadn't drank my coffee... Plus DH kept me awake he is dieing with a COLD :rolleyes:

~Grasshopper~
14-09-2012, 06:15 AM
my la training was on tuesday. it was total rubbish, they didnt even know what they were going on about. they said you can now take on 4 under 5. i wanted to stand up and explain it properly :) but i didnt, dont think that would have gone down well.

they cant tell you what forms to use, just use the ones you want.

x

childminder54
14-09-2012, 06:20 AM
I thought if they had, had there 2 year check before the revised Eyfs in September we didn't have to do it

miffy
14-09-2012, 06:38 AM
I went to an LA "information" session on eyfs this week. Our LA have also produced their own form which they would like us all to use but at least they didn't say when we had to do it - in fact they said that you would have to get to know a new starter first before you could do the check. Think your LA is being a bit unrealistic.

Miffy xx

sarah707
14-09-2012, 06:47 AM
The rules for the 2 year progress check are in the 'Know How' booklet on the www.foundationyears.org.uk website - EYFS page.

Anything else said to you by trainers or LAs has been made up by them.

It has often been the case that LAs have tried to put more pressure than required by law on early years providers.

The revised EYFS was supposed to have stopped that by making everything clear and concise.

Obviously this message is yet to reach some LAs :D

miffy
14-09-2012, 06:52 AM
I thought if they had, had there 2 year check before the revised Eyfs in September we didn't have to do it

According to our LA we still have to do a 2 year check on children in our care regardless of whether they have had their 2 year health check with a health visitor, so no getting out of it! :D

Miffy xx

loocyloo
14-09-2012, 07:17 AM
our LA have said we can use whatever forms we like ( DO recommedingthe final form in the foundations years document :D ) and we do need to do it sometime between 2 & 3. up to us when! currently 2 yr checks are done at 2nd birthday, so can't be done before hand!

i've got a 2yr 10mth, who is leaving me in 2 weeks ( only comes 5hrs a week ) might do one for her as a hand over document to preschool. i have another LO who is 3 in 3 weeks, wasn't going to do one, but might!

mama2three
14-09-2012, 07:26 AM
It actually makes sense for the whole LA to do the same forms in this case though. The link up between 2 year checks in settings and heath visitors will be much better recieved by HVs if they can access the information in a familiar and consistent format. Whilst most of us are perfectly capable of coming up with a form that works for us , parents , etc it would certainly be easier for HVs to see one format - and indeed when we are often struggling to be seen as professionals on an equal footing regarding child development it may actually appear more professional than a range of forms .
My own paperwork is largely free flow , I dont have boxes to fill in or things to tick off - i know Im covering what is needed , parents like it , Ofsted were more than happy with it.. but in this one case Ill stick with the LA forms.

Mouse
14-09-2012, 07:38 AM
It actually makes sense for the whole LA to do the same forms in this case though. The link up between 2 year checks in settings and heath visitors will be much better recieved by HVs if they can access the information in a familiar and consistent format. Whilst most of us are perfectly capable of coming up with a form that works for us , parents , etc it would certainly be easier for HVs to see one format - and indeed when we are often struggling to be seen as professionals on an equal footing regarding child development it may actually appear more professional than a range of forms .
My own paperwork is largely free flow , I dont have boxes to fill in or things to tick off - i know Im covering what is needed , parents like it , Ofsted were more than happy with it.. but in this one case Ill stick with the LA forms.

I agree with that completely. I tend to avoid any local authority 'recommended' paperwork, but I do think a standard form for the 2 yr check is a good idea. I know at one time it was mentioned about the early years check forming part of the child's red book. In that case it would have to have been a standard form.

LittleLadybirds
14-09-2012, 07:49 AM

You don't have to do the 2-yr assessment on ANY child who has turned 2 before the 1st September 2012 - regardless of whether they have had the 2 yr check by their HV.

If you care for a child who turned 2 on or after the 1st Sept, then you are required to complete a 2 yr assessment. The idea as far as I understand, is so that parents can take the assessment to the HV if possible.

I like the idea in principle of the LA giving a form to everyone to use, as long as it's well thought out and not a botched job! It may be that they are trying to streamline all the childcare providers, so that HV aren't going to get confused with loads of different forms. Presumably the nurseries etc.. will be expected to use the same form as you?

Mouse
14-09-2012, 08:04 AM
You don't have to do the 2-yr assessment on ANY child who has turned 2 before the 1st September 2012 - regardless of whether they have had the 2 yr check by their HV.

?

Where does it say that?

We were told that we had to do checks on any child in our care before their 3rd birthday. I have a mindee who will be 3 in November & who has had his HV check. I was told I should do an assessment on him before his birthday, give a copy to mum & put a copy on file.

I wish we were all getting the same information :rolleyes:

Twinkles
14-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Oh now I confuzzled !

I wasn't going to do the two year checks if the child had already had their HV check.
I thought the whole point of them was to support the HV check so no point if it's already done !

hectors house
14-09-2012, 08:25 AM
The rules for the 2 year progress check are in the 'Know How' booklet on the www.foundationyears.org.uk website - EYFS page.

Anything else said to you by trainers or LAs has been made up by them.

It has often been the case that LAs have tried to put more pressure than required by law on early years providers.

The revised EYFS was supposed to have stopped that by making everything clear and concise.

Obviously this message is yet to reach some LAs :D

Although meeting Ofsted once every 3 to 4 years for my annual inspection is often enough - I sometimes think it would be easier if Ofsted carried out training sessions on important issues like revision frameworks, otherwise it ends up like chinese whispers with the local authorities and development officers for each county interpretting things differently and often telling us completely the wrong information. Although we all know that each Ofsted inspector has their own ideas about the right and wrong way to do things too, so we don't really stand a chance!

mandy moo
14-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Although meeting Ofsted once every 3 to 4 years for my annual inspection is often enough - I sometimes think it would be easier if Ofsted carried out training sessions on important issues like revision frameworks, otherwise it ends up like chinese whispers with the local authorities and development officers for each county interpretting things differently and often telling us completely the wrong information. Although we all know that each Ofsted inspector has their own ideas about the right and wrong way to do things too, so we don't really stand a chance!

Your not wrong there..lol

EmmaReed84
14-09-2012, 12:42 PM
our LA have said we can use whatever forms we like ( DO recommedingthe final form in the foundations years document :D ) and we do need to do it sometime between 2 & 3. up to us when! currently 2 yr checks are done at 2nd birthday, so can't be done before hand!

i've got a 2yr 10mth, who is leaving me in 2 weeks ( only comes 5hrs a week ) might do one for her as a hand over document to preschool. i have another LO who is 3 in 3 weeks, wasn't going to do one, but might!

:D Those forms are done by my LA. On a course in January they knew their forms were going to used as a guide and the tutor was hopping up and down like it was her birthday lol...

I do like some elements on their form, but I also like mine lol... I think I will try to work with theirs and see how I get on...

I am allowed to put it up on here aren't I?

loocyloo
14-09-2012, 01:10 PM
]:D Those forms are done by my LA. On a course in January they knew their forms were going to used as a guide and the tutor was hopping up and down like it was her birthday lol...[/COLOR] :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I do like some elements on their form, but I also like mine lol... I think I will try to work with theirs and see how I get on...

I am allowed to put it up on here aren't I?

i have put together a combination of the last form and the one before it, as i felt the last form was so vague, i wouldn't know/remember (:blush:) what i was meant to be writing, as although i need to do 4 this term, i then won't need to do one for months & months!

sarah707
14-09-2012, 01:30 PM
You might find this information interesting in the new FAQs released today -

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2012/09/new-frequently-asked-questions/

Question - Is there a standard template to use for the progress check at two?

Answer - No. The EYFS Framework does not require the progress check to be completed in a prescribed or standard format.

Hth :D

angeldelight
14-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Answer - No. The EYFS Framework does not require the progress check to be completed in a prescribed or standard format.

Just about sums it up then :laughing:

Angel xx

EmmaReed84
14-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Have I mention recently that I LOVE YOU! lol

I have done an amended version of my 2 year check...

EmmaReed84
14-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh another thing they said was.

A child has to have achieve EVERY SINGLE statement for an age band before they can be said they are at that stage...

So for example... if I had a month old who was pretty much doing everything in the 16-26 months bar one one thing, even though they might do the other really well, she said they are not at that stage?? Meaning that you have to put them at achieving 8-20 months??????

When asked again, she re-iterated... every single statement!

Just checking?

sarah707
14-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh another thing they said was.

A child has to have achieve EVERY SINGLE statement for an age band before they can be said they are at that stage...

So for example... if I had a month old who was pretty much doing everything in the 16-26 months bar one one thing, even though they might do the other really well, she said they are not at that stage?? Meaning that you have to put them at achieving 8-20 months??????

When asked again, she re-iterated... every single statement!

Just checking?

Noooooo! The statements are not meant to be used as a checklist!!

They are GUIDANCE - the clue is in the name of the document and the statement at the bottom of every page :D