PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone bother with free milk?

jadavi
14-09-2012, 03:04 AM
I struggled with it for a while and made about a fiver in two months ... Then when I tried to claim formula (which I provide) as well as normal milk for others the website couldn't take the info so I dropped it. However now I have so many mindees I wonder if i'm throwing away good money?
If you do it - how much do you claim a month? I have 4-9 mindees a day. Should I start claiming again and backdate?
Cheers

madmamma
14-09-2012, 05:45 AM
I put formula or normal milk for mindees through as an expense in my accounts. That way I know I'm claiming the right amount and don't have a potential problem with relying on another company over claiming in my name

~Grasshopper~
14-09-2012, 06:17 AM
i gave up. used cool milk for about a month and they kept messing up. i was getting about £1 of milk a week, not worth the hassle. now i just put it through my expenses and its one less thing to worry about auditing and messing around with.

x

miffy
14-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I haven't bothered for years.

Miffy xx

Mouse
14-09-2012, 07:46 AM
I struggled with it for a while and made about a fiver in two months ... Then when I tried to claim formula (which I provide) as well as normal milk for others the website couldn't take the info so I dropped it. However now I have so many mindees I wonder if i'm throwing away good money?
If you do it - how much do you claim a month? I have 4-9 mindees a day. Should I start claiming again and backdate?
Cheers

How old are the children? You can only claim for the under 5s.

I have 3 or 4 under 5s each day, so claim for 1 pint, or 1 1/3 pints each day. I work 4 days a week, so if they've all attended it's about 50p a day, £2 a week. My claim is generally between £8-£10 per month. But I only claim once every 6 months or so. 50p a day doesn't seem much, but it is nice when I get a £50 bank transfer twice a year :thumbsup:

When I put in my claim I simply sit with my register open counting up how many children I had over each month. It's easy :thumbsup: If you haven't claimed for a while (assuming you kept your registration with the site) it's definitely worth taking a few minutes to sit & go through your register.

loocyloo
14-09-2012, 08:02 AM
the nursery milk people lost me from their system!

i have a letter with all my id etc on, and they claim i don't exsist and have never been registered, yet, their system says someone is registered using my details !!:rolleyes: i gave up, i got so frustrated with them all!

i used to use scotts for free milk delivery, and after a couple of teething issues, they were great, but they don't deliver where i now live!

Mouse
14-09-2012, 08:07 AM
the nursery milk people lost me from their system!

i have a letter with all my id etc on, and they claim i don't exsist and have never been registered, yet, their system says someone is registered using my details !!:rolleyes: i gave up, i got so frustrated with them all!

i used to use scotts for free milk delivery, and after a couple of teething issues, they were great, but they don't deliver where i now live!

Scotts will have registered you with them, so must have claimed on your behalf at some time. I wonder if that's where the confusion has come from?

loocyloo
14-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Scotts will have registered you with them, so must have claimed on your behalf at some time. I wonder if that's where the confusion has come from?

having just read this, i have just written them another email to see if i can sort it out! hope so! i go through pints of milk !

Mouse
14-09-2012, 08:12 AM
having just read this, i have just written them another email to see if i can sort it out! hope so! i go through pints of milk !

Good luck!

Someone on here posted about how they had cancelled their delivery through an agent, but the agency was still claiming :eek: It also happened with a friend of mine & she only found out when she tried to do the claim herself :panic:

JCrakers
14-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I claim it every 4-5 months and do all the 4-5 months in one go.

My amounts very depending on school holidays when a couple of my littleys are TTO so dont come

Its between £3-£6 a month so when I do 5 months in a go I get about £25 so I think its def worth it.
Its all online and easy to do. I just go through the register, look who Ive had, mark it on a bit of paper for 1 child = 1/3 pint so 3 children make a pint :D

QualityCare
14-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I use cool milk no problems, l confirm each week that the amount claimed for is the same as l have had, once a child is in another setting getting milk we cannot claim for them each under 5 is only entitled to 1/3pt a day.

hectors house
14-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I use Scotts, they used to deliver twice a week on a Wed and Fri, but now only delivery on Friday which is bit of a pain, but I have my own milk delivered on a Tuesday so balances out in the end. I did try the individual cardboard cartons but it was messy as children used to squeeze cartons and milk would squirt out - tried using my own longer straws, but found they drink more milk if in their own beakers anyway.

Thanks for this post, must remember to ring Scotts and cut back on my order now 2 day mindee gone to school, then I will have to put it up again when new mindee starts in 4 weeks time!

kel1983
14-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I use cool milk. I get it delivered by the local milkman which is very handy especially on a wet day or a lazy day. :blush: I just let them know of any changes to numbers. No worrying about trying to work out how much money to reclaim.

amanda1309
14-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Use cool milk here.
Had a few problems of no milk delivered but rang them up and milk was promptly delivered next morning with a free extra pint for my troubles. :clapping:

clareelizabeth1
14-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I haven't bothered as not one of my mindies will drink milk. Two will only drink water and one will have water or juice.

Bridey
14-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Never bothered - would rather just claim back on my own expenses.

loocyloo
14-09-2012, 04:10 PM
it all gets very confusing!

nursery milk people have finally tracked down my account ... yes, it is linked to scotts and payments stopped end of march 2011. as i thought...

however, it is still linked to scotts AND they made claims on it, several months later when i wasn't living at the house, or even in the same county that the milk was claimed for!

typically, we reached this point minutes after the office for scotts closed for the weekend:( i am not very impressed at all. i have emailed them to ask what happened!

nursery milk people are great, just got to send them a letter with change of address etc and its all sorted!

Mouse
14-09-2012, 04:23 PM
it all gets very confusing!

nursery milk people have finally tracked down my account ... yes, it is linked to scotts and payments stopped end of march 2011. as i thought...

however, it is still linked to scotts AND they made claims on it, several months later when i wasn't living at the house, or even in the same county that the milk was claimed for!

typically, we reached this point minutes after the office for scotts closed for the weekend:( i am not very impressed at all. i have emailed them to ask what happened!

nursery milk people are great, just got to send them a letter with change of address etc and its all sorted!

This is the thread where someone else said it had happened (post 12)

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=104813&highlight=free+milk

kellib
14-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I get my milk delivered from Scotts, I get the individual cartons as the LO's I have drink more from them than they do if they get beakers, it's fab! :thumbsup:

funemnx
14-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I go on nurserymilk.co.uk and claim 1 pint per day which works out about £14 a month. My milkman delivers so I pay them and claim from the site which gets paid directly into my account. Easy peasy and no hassles! :thumbsup:

cathtee
14-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I haven't claimed for years, and now my lo's only drink juice

Zoomie
14-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I usually make a claim in December, which covers April to Nov, and is about £90 - very handy for Xmas. I then make another claim in April covering the balance of the tax year, so that I can finalise my accounts.

lisa1968
14-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Instead of claiming the cash back,I now get the free milk delivered-you get a third of a pint a day per EYFS child-I get 14 pints a week delivered on a thursday and they'll let you have semi,full fat,organic,formula,2 litre bottles,or even little cartons with straws.Its well worth it.

Mouse
14-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Instead of claiming the cash back,I now get the free milk delivered-you get a third of a pint a day per EYFS child-I get 14 pints a week delivered on a thursday and they'll let you have semi,full fat,organic,formula,2 litre bottles,or even little cartons with straws.Its well worth it.

14 pints a week?? How many children do you have to get that much? At a third of a pint per day, that would work out at 6 children a day, 7 days a week :eek:

jaswinder bedi
14-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I get delivered milk.by scotts never had any problems, i always phoned and just ammended the mindees one less or two more mindees. they were very helpful with phone and milk delivery service too!!! Only once a year we fill in survey sheet to let them no about your setting changes by email.

tulip0803
15-09-2012, 03:30 PM

I use nursery milk. I order with my weekly shop and claim back on-line easy peasy.

Lisa that's an awful lot of milk. It is a 1/3 of a pint milk per day for under 5s, not EYFS, so as soon as they turn 5 they are no longer entitled. If you receive too much milk then it is your responsibility, not the provider, to pay the government back, they are looking into this at the moment.

tammys-tots
15-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Cheers

i have little cartons of milk from milk for childminders i just email them if there are any changes to numbers, wanted to encourage children to drink milk, they seem to drink more out of these cartons for some reason. I did go with another company they delivered milk when i was away for 3 weeks last year even tho i told them i was off! these are good, you just get email asking you to confirm how much milk you have received in that week for gov.

lisa1968
15-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I use nursery milk. I order with my weekly shop and claim back on-line easy peasy.

Lisa that's an awful lot of milk. It is a 1/3 of a pint milk per day for under 5s, not EYFS, so as soon as they turn 5 they are no longer entitled. If you receive too much milk then it is your responsibility, not the provider, to pay the government back, they are looking into this at the moment.

I hope you are not suggesting I'm defrauding anybody!!
Each time my numbers alter I ALWAYS contact the dairy-but they still send the same amount.In fact I filled in a form just a few weeks ago to let them know of any changes and they still send the same amount.2 other childminder friends have found the same thing with the same dairy-they are still getting the same amount of milk that they have always had.
There have also been occasions where I have cancelled milk due to holidays and its still been delivered.

Mouse
15-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Each time my numbers alter I ALWAYS contact the dairy-but they still send the same amount.In fact I filled in a form just a few weeks ago to let them know of any changes and they still send the same amount.2 other childminder friends have found the same thing with the same dairy-they are still getting the same amount of milk that they have always had.
There have also been occasions where I have cancelled milk due to holidays and its still been delivered.

Lisa, I don't think anyone is suggesting you are doing anything wrong. You should be able to work out how much milk you are entitled to. If you're getting too much you really need to sort it out. The NMRU is quite clear that YOU are responsible for your claim, not the agent. If they are over-claiming on your behalf, it could be you that got into trouble for it.

You might be submitting the right numbers to the agent, but that doesn't mean they are claiming the correct amount. I'd try phoning them and finding out exactly what is being claimed against your name. The NMRU are very interested in any agents that make mistakes in the amount they claim.

tulip0803
15-09-2012, 08:16 PM

As Mouse says no-one thinks that you personally are defrauding anyone but it is your responsibility to ensure that only the correct amounts are delivered to you. There have been many instances of these companies over ordering (not the dairy that deliverers) and charging nursery milk over the top for milk - They are profit making companies and they want to make as much profit as possible. They are not held responsible for over delivery we are. Nursery Milk want to hear about these instances and the whole system is under review because of this.

migimoo
16-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I've just registered with 'Milk4childminders.com' they don't ask for any bank details as it's free, apparently I just let them know how many children i have for sessions of over 2 hours each day and if i want whole/semi skimmed and they deliver it...will update how it goes as not started yet.

Tazmin68
16-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi
I see so many comments with problems with outside agencies. I Prefer to just claim every few months with nursery milk and receive a nice little credit.