PDA

View Full Version : Ad hoc hour contract clashing

samb
13-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi all, I have taken on a mindee on an ad hoc contract. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Mum needed very short after school hours but for an under 5 1-3 times a week (generally 1) and term time only but not whole of term time! I agreed to do it on ad hoc basis on a higher rate. We signed contracts before summer hols and I had him 1 day in total over summer. Mum has only just given me dates for this half term. When I signed contracts my spaces were different to what they are looking like they will be soon. The day that looks like the main day she would want will be full from January (as in I will have 6 under 8s so can't do variation either). I know it is ad hoc and so basically its fine however I don't know what to say to Mum. Do I say yes to dates I can do and wait for her to ask to book more and say no or do I say from xxxx date my availability will be xxxx? I am thinking the latter - is that ok? I hate confrontation although I am getting better with help from you guys so please help me again!

LittleLadybirds
13-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Maybe just have a casual chat with her and mention that you have had a lot of work enquiries and that you are most likely going to be full on whatever-day it is from January. Unless you definitely don't have the space, then why worry yourself over what may/may not happen by making it formal. If you've mentioned it to her, then at least it will be less of a shock if you then get other clashing contracts, and she will have had some warning to look elsewhere.

samb
13-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a child who usually finishes by the time the ad hoc boy would need so taking the same place however that boy is leaving due to mum on maternity and I have already signed up new one for his replacement starting Jan. However the 4th and final place may also be taken up by a schoolie very soon and as its properly term time and maybe some ad hoc in hols I don't want to turn it down to keep a space open for someone who may not be there and I would have to put variation in place for to do it. You made it sound like it is really - not a big deal! lol! Not sure why I was getting in a pickle now!

PixiePetal
13-09-2012, 02:46 PM
my ad hocs in the past have always known - cos I told them :laughing: - that if a full time child came along then I may take them on and ad hoc mum can chance I have a space when they need it. :)

I get a list of dates and told them which I could do :) ones I couldn't she had to sort herself