PDA

View Full Version : Linking obs for child with speech delay.

welshgirl
13-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Mindee who is 26 months has a speech and language delay. He does not have any words, and uses limited babbling and noises. Yesterday he pointed at a picture of a sheep and said 'Baa'. He did this 4 times. This is a real achievement for him and a first, he knows the animals and can point in response to questions such as 'where is the sheep?', but has never vocalised it before. How do I link this to the EYFS, I guess it should be under speaking, 8-20 mths, uses sounds in play, but is it ok to do this if it is under his age range. Does anyone have any ideas where to go from this in regards to next steps? I thought about 'Baa Baa Black sheep' 'old macdonald', make a cotton wool sheep, use the farm yard, visit local farm, use books with farm animals, animal puppets, little people zoo.

VeggieSausage
13-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Mindee who is 26 months has a speech and language delay. He does not have any words, and uses limited babbling and noises. Yesterday he pointed at a picture of a sheep and said 'Baa'. He did this 4 times. This is a real achievement for him and a first, he knows the animals and can point in response to questions such as 'where is the sheep?', but has never vocalised it before. How do I link this to the EYFS, I guess it should be under speaking, 8-20 mths, uses sounds in play, but is it ok to do this if it is under his age range. Does anyone have any ideas where to go from this in regards to next steps? I thought about 'Baa Baa Black sheep' 'old macdonald', make a cotton wool sheep, use the farm yard, visit local farm, use books with farm animals, animal puppets, little people zoo.

I think make it a wow moment but under the 8-20 months category, it will give an idea how behind they are which will be useful for transitions into school/nursery etc.....

Pipsqueak
13-09-2012, 01:24 PM
absolutely - you link it to the stage - regardless of the age range.

I use the Early Support Materials alongside the EYFS. (they have not been updated as yet for revised eyfs but work just as well)

PixiePetal
13-09-2012, 01:40 PM
def put it as a wow in the 8-20m stage then you will see how he progresses over time and maybe catches up at a later date with support :thumbsup:

well done little man :)