PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate cereal!

LittleLegsCM
13-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Right, Ladies (and gents ;) ) please tell me if I'm being out of order...

I don't buy chocolate covered cereals. I know some people don't mind them but it's not something I agree with and don't let my 2year old boy have them so refuse to buy them for mindees.

One of my mindees sat down this morning and cockily said "oh yeah, mum said when we go to tesco, we're going to get some chocolate pillows and bring them here so we can have them for breakfast..." my response: "unfortunately hun, your mum will be wasting her money as they wont be coming here. You know I don't allow chocolate cereals here and it wouldn't be fair to allow you to have them while others can't."

Is this wrong? if mum does buy them, am I in the wrong for refusing to let them have them here?
It's bad enough that his younger (2.5yr old) brother arrives here at 7 in the morning sometimes covered in chocolate spread from a sandwich or chocolate biscuit crumbs as mum's given them to him to 'shut him up' while she gets ready but to then allow him more chocolate before it's even hit 9am is a bit much, isn't it?!

miffy
13-09-2012, 06:47 AM
No, you don't have to give them just because mum has sent them and the eyfs will back you up (page 22 3.45) "Where children are provided with meals,snacks and drinks, they must be healthy, balanced and nutritious."

Miffy xx

Maza
13-09-2012, 06:49 AM
You are not wrong. Do they usually bring their own breakfast? Maybe you should have a word with mum before she sends in the cereal and causes an awkward situation. Remind her that you have a healthy eating policy.

My DD has a bran cereal almost everyday and because of its colour she christened it 'chocolate cereal'. I haven't bothered to correct her but I'm dreading her telling nursery that she has chocolate cereal for breakfast!

LittleLegsCM
13-09-2012, 06:53 AM
My DD has a bran cereal almost everyday and because of its colour she christened it 'chocolate cereal'. I haven't bothered to correct her but I'm dreading her telling nursery that she has chocolate cereal for breakfast!

haha bless her! maybe I should try that when my DS is older & starts requesting it! lol x

bunyip
13-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I suspect I would do food slightly differently to you, but I still think you're right for your reasons.

I don't believe that "healthy & balanced" implies a blanket ban on any food type. I could (but won't) bang on for ages how the over-simplification of 'good' and 'bad' food has replaced knowledge and understanding about food and consequently done a lot to mess up people's diets altogether.

The point is that you have a rule, based on a sound principle that's easy enough for the children to understand at their stage of development. It's certainly not in breach of EYFS statutory framework or Ofsted guidelines. And, whilst we are supposed to work with parents, that's not the same as caving in to their every whim. (e.g. It's not like mum is saying, "please do a little more to encourage lo to brush their teeth/exercise/enjoy books, etc." and you're refusing her on something important like that.)

So you should stick to your guns (even if my guns are different.) ;)

rickysmiths
13-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I would politely refuse it if it is offered and say that I don't have choc cereals, however if she wants her children to have it maybe she would like to give them breakfast before they leave home?

A mum arrived with me one morning this week saying she had promised low that they could have Thomas on the TV when they got to mine. NO I don't have time to have the TV on in the mornings and she should not make a promise without checking with me first!

My house, my rules.

rickysmiths
13-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I would politely refuse it if it is offered and say that I don't have choc cereals, however if she wants her children to have it maybe she would like to give them breakfast before they leave home?

A mum arrived with me one morning this week saying she had promised low that they could have Thomas on the TV when they got to mine. NO I don't have time to have the TV on in the mornings and she should not make a promise without checking with me first!

My house, my rules.

I do give my own children Choc cereals but they were kept as a treat in the school holidays and they didn't have them on mornings minded children were having breakfast or they had had them before children arrived.

KarenM
13-09-2012, 08:04 AM
I provide simple cereals or toast for breakfasts. They have a choice of what is offered from what I provide. Simple as that. Although the only one the children really seem to enjoy is mine!! So now I make a huge bowl of porridge and share it out, then they choose what they want with it.

The Juggler
13-09-2012, 09:16 AM
i'd be sayng same as you! now mine are older we do occasionally have 'treat' cereals - but they are for the weekend.

we have

cheerios
krispies
weetabix
shreddies
toast or crumpets

that's it. or fruit. They eat it or don't.

LittleLadybirds
13-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I have a range of cereals, including chocolate ones. I put a few different ones out each day, so the children still have a choice but the more unhealthy cereals are not on offer everyday.

We also have a discussion about why we don't eat choc cereal, cakes etc everyday, and what foods are healthy choices. You may be surprised that many days when the choc cereal is available they still choose the weetabix or shredded wheat! They all have toothbrushes and mugs to use after breakfast too.

I also have a 'junk' day each week on my menu, which comprises more of pizza, chicken dippers etc... And a few days where there is cake or icecream for pudding. I try to show them that it's ok to eat these foods in moderation, and to try and have something healthy with them, such as fruit or salad. I really don't see the point of cutting everything out as then that draws attention to the fact that they are not allowed it; then of course they will want it more.

We even had McDonalds over the summer holidays! :eek: No fizzy drinks though; they all had milkshakes.

I agree with other posts about not letting mum send specific cereal for that child. Very unfair on the other children, and begins to undermine your policies if that is what you have decided to enforce.

gegele
13-09-2012, 10:11 AM
well i'm the one who's going to get shot for what i give kids here :D

for your question : you're right, you don't allow chocolate in the morning so be it, your house your rules. easy as.

in my house for breakfast we have ANYTHING and everything!!!

my son eats at least 1 brioche with chocolate chip, bread and nutella, chocolate cereal with or without milk or weetabix. lately an egg. cup of milk
he eats combo of all of this LOL

my daughter is crumpet or bread with nutella, hot chocolate, chocolate cereal oan or an egg.

eggs are in fashion lately in our house LOL
i eat porridge or eggs and hubby is weatabix or eggs.

I'm happy that they're eating before school, they brush their teeth, they don't eat a kilo of the stuff as they tend to eat little of lots LOL

They're healthy, strong, full of energy, active children with good teeth.

i'm french and for breakfast we always had nutella on baguette or casse croute which are big biscuit kind of thing. sometimes i even had camembert on baguette dipped in hot chocolate ah ah ah aha h you can't explain it LOL
yet when they have packed lunch they're the children with 2veg 3-4 fruits and a yoghurt half a packet of skip somethimes.
or it's 2 cooked meal a day.

I choose to let them eat whatever they fancy as long as they eat in the morning but they don't eat "junk" food the rest of the day or in between...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

it works here,

AliceK
13-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a range of cereals, including chocolate ones. I put a few different ones out each day, so the children still have a choice but the more unhealthy cereals are not on offer everyday.

We also have a discussion about why we don't eat choc cereal, cakes etc everyday, and what foods are healthy choices. You may be surprised that many days when the choc cereal is available they still choose the weetabix or shredded wheat! They all have toothbrushes and mugs to use after breakfast too.

I also have a 'junk' day each week on my menu, which comprises more of pizza, chicken dippers etc... And a few days where there is cake or icecream for pudding. I try to show them that it's ok to eat these foods in moderation, and to try and have something healthy with them, such as fruit or salad. I really don't see the point of cutting everything out as then that draws attention to the fact that they are not allowed it; then of course they will want it more.

We even had McDonalds over the summer holidays! :eek: No fizzy drinks though; they all had milkshakes.

I agree with other posts about not letting mum send specific cereal for that child. Very unfair on the other children, and begins to undermine your policies if that is what you have decided to enforce.

I have the same idea myself. I work with children to teach them what is healthy foods, what we must eat to keep healthy and grow and also what is treat food and that its ok to eat treat food as long as we are also eating healthy foods. All my children have a balanced diet along with treats. Education is more important than banning things which can only cause issues with eating in the future. We have treats after tea and we also have a day when they get what some would term rubbish food, fishfingers, pizza etc. All my parents know and agree to it all. We also went to McD's for a treat lunch over the school hols :thumbsup:

xxx

Jods
13-09-2012, 10:20 AM
your house your rules - however I am from the a little bit here and there wont hurt camp x

We are a big poached egg on toast for brekkie types, nomm nomm x

and yes we do choccie spread sarnies every now and again x

bunyip
13-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I sense this may be about to turn into the, "who's given children the least nutritious breakfast?" thread. :D

My dd once dropped the grandchildren at mine for breakfast when she had an emergency. We had very little food in at the time, and nothing 'proper' that I could give all of them the same/similar in a hurry. There simply wasn't time to give them each different things and then sort out the "it's not fair" squabbles that would ensue, and make us all late for school.

Answer: they all walked to school with ice cream cornets. They still think it's the best thing that ever happened.

During the holidays I had a couple of them whilst mum took the others shopping for shoes/uniform. I asked what they'd like to do if they could do absolutely anything in the whole wide world. Answer: "I want to sit in the park and eat chips with you." :D

I should add that we don't make a habit of this.

Simple pleasures, eh? :)

Logan
13-09-2012, 10:37 AM
On a slightly different note what do you do about "pudding"? I'm really talking about my after school children. They have fruit or yogurt snack when we get back, then a sandwich tea with cucumber, carrot etc They seem to expect a pudding & I'm quite happy to let them have one but am short on ideas for something that will fit the bill of being healthy, nutritious etc I'm also happy to give them a biscuit, small cake sometimes but I have some children every day after school and am not sure that it's appropriate (even if their parents don't mind).

Ideas please?

gegele
13-09-2012, 10:47 AM
pudding here are : yoghurt- fromage frais for little ones or tinned fruit or jelly

my lot have chocolate mousse, creme caramel, cheese cake or fruits or jelly sometimes ice cream :D

But my new missing for this winter is to get better with pudding LOL i'm looking around for ideas. have you checked the school menu see what they're offering?

bunyip
13-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I have real problems with pudding.

Nutritionists say to offer them every course, even if they refused or didn't finish the previous one.

OTOH, I have mums who say lo can't have any pudding until they clear their plate.

Lo's quickly learn how to sit it out and wait for something "nicer" to appear in front of them.

The older ones go one step further and ask "what's for pudding" before they decide whether it's worth eating their main course.

Aaargh :panic: !

LittleLegsCM
13-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, although deserts are offered here there is rarely time for them to have them. We get back from school run at 4 & most go home at 5 so they are normally just finishing as parents arrive. If they ever do finish early though its yoghurts, snack tubs of sugarfree jelly, rice pudding or custard and fruit. Unless I've made apple turnovers or a crumble then thats offered aswell.

Im definitely in the 'everything in moderation' catergory, dont get me wrong, they all have 'treats' here and once a week they get to pick whatever they want me to cook for dinner but with this particular family I know they dont have a very balanced diet at home (as I said the 2.5yr old turns up here at 7AM covered in chocolate and normally again when he's dropped off at 2 as well!) so it kind of makes me more determined to ensure they have something other than the 'chocolate pillows' that they are always going on about.

PixiePetal
13-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I am all for everything in moderation and don't have a problem with the choc cereals every now and then - or any others.

I would be bothered about a family bringing their own though as it is not fair on others.

As for puds, mine have to have finished or at least had a good try of their main course to have a pud. They can always have fruit though :)

LittleLadybirds
13-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Feel free to have a look at my menu and use/discard ideas as you like :)

All children get a pudding in my house. They are normally good and eat their meals, so get the stated puddings.However, if they don't eat the meal or not very much, then they get a healthy pudding of yoghurt or fruit.

Littlelegs, perhaps you could let them have choc cereal once a week/fortnight or so at your house, and then maybe it is a start of balancing out their bad diet at home with healthier options at your house, and they may respond better to your healthy meal ideas? You could get the choc cheerios, which at least have the nutritious multigrains as well. Choc cereal is mainly bad for teeth, so give them a toothbrush after breakfast :D

ziggy
13-09-2012, 01:19 PM
As probably one of the oldest childminders on here, it concerns me all this about food.

We rarely have sweeties here, have fruit for snacks, milk or water for drinks and if a child doesnt want to eat then s/he gets down from the table without a fuss and waits till next meal/snack time.

All mine bring lunch boxes from home, some more 'healthy' than others.

My concern is that children are going to grow up with a strange attitude to food (sorry that is probably wrong choice of words)

My 14 yr old grandaughter was here for 3 weeks over the summer. She has a note book where she counts out her '5 a day' and how much water she has drunk.

A friend of mine, who i also mind for as and when needed, is a nutritionist (sp). She is very strict over what her 3 children eat and drink. My concern with them is that when at a party or friend's house these children devour 'junk food'. At my house i have seen them licking munch bunch joghurt pots left on floor by others, quite sad really.

I agree with the 'my house, my rules' thought but dont think personally i would stop child having the cereal. I had a 1yr old come today with a weetabix for breakfast; lunchable for lunch; 2 joghurts, a bottle of squash and a banana. I dont feel it's my role to tell parents what they should feed their children.

AliceK
13-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Feel free to have a look at my menu and use/discard ideas as you like :)

All children get a pudding in my house. They are normally good and eat their meals, so get the stated puddings.However, if they don't eat the meal or not very much, then they get a healthy pudding of yoghurt or fruit.

Littlelegs, perhaps you could let them have choc cereal once a week/fortnight or so at your house, and then maybe it is a start of balancing out their bad diet at home with healthier options at your house, and they may respond better to your healthy meal ideas? You could get the choc cheerios, which at least have the nutritious multigrains as well. Choc cereal is mainly bad for teeth, so give them a toothbrush after breakfast :D

I want to come to yours. I would love to have lunches and teas like that :)

xxx

Pipsqueak
13-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm with Gegele here we have anything and everything - a little of what you fancy and all that.
Generally i find children who have brekkie here have pancakes, muffins, porridge, croissants, brioche and so on....

I have a 'nothing is particuarly off limits' but everything in moderation because of xyz....

we eat pizza, chicken nuggets (often home made stuff) McD's, fizzy pop - in moderation!

however, your house, your rules and thats cool:thumbsup:

lisa1968
13-09-2012, 07:10 PM
In the past I have spent a lot of time trying to encourage parents to provide healthy food......
........and now I just think to myself "You know what? If the parents are happy for their kids to have choccie cereals/bags of haribo/cheese and onion crisps for breakfast/lunch/snack,then why should I break my neck trying to get them to do it differently??" I do know of several 'minders who actually go through the mindees lunch boxes and throw away anything they deem as unhealthy.How dare they?? What right do they have to do that??Many parents feel guilty enough as it is for leaving their child-a minder who does this just makes them feel worse! If I took every 'unhealthy' item of food out of the childrens lunch boxes,then some of them would have nothing to eat!!
The snacks that I offer range from dried fruit,to fruit salad,breadsticks and, yes,the occasional cake or biscuit. Like Ziggy, I have seen children who aren't allowed the odd sweet treat actually crawl right under my kitchen table to eat a corner of biscuit or a dropped hula hoop-thats more harmful to their well-being than actually eating the hula hoop.
I do have healthy eating policies, and the mindees happily eat the snacks I provide. And if any of the other children ask 'Why is Johnny allowed choccie cereal/haribo/crisps for breakfast?' then I just answer truthfully and say "Because thats what their parents allow them to have"

sophia36
13-09-2012, 07:14 PM
We generally have shreddies, cheerios, weetabix and toast for breakfast. This morning however was a different story. My alarm is set for 6.30am so imagine my horror when my daughter woke my husband and I up at 7.40am asking if we had the day off:panic: We had a power cut in the night hence no alarm!.

I have to leave the house at 8 so in the rush my older children sorted their own breakfast (heaven knows what they had!) and my 5 year old had a packet of hula hoops and a chocolate penguin in the car. I told him not to breathe on anyone. On the way to picking up my 1st mindee my son said "mum you didn't give me a drink!" He ended up having my mindees drink as soon as we had waved goodbye to his mum! Needless to say i refilled it as soon as I got home!

lisa1968
13-09-2012, 07:44 PM
We generally have shreddies, cheerios, weetabix and toast for breakfast. This morning however was a different story. My alarm is set for 6.30am so imagine my horror when my daughter woke my husband and I up at 7.40am asking if we had the day off:panic: We had a power cut in the night hence no alarm!.

I have to leave the house at 8 so in the rush my older children sorted their own breakfast (heaven knows what they had!) and my 5 year old had a packet of hula hoops and a chocolate penguin in the car. I told him not to breathe on anyone. On the way to picking up my 1st mindee my son said "mum you didn't give me a drink!" He ended up having my mindees drink as soon as we had waved goodbye to his mum! Needless to say i refilled it as soon as I got home!

LOL!!...love that!!