PDA

View Full Version : Tax credits/charging

lucyD
12-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Quick bit of advice from you lovely ladies if pos..I have a bro & sis for school hols, they started with me for summer hols & all great. We have contract for 8.30-1.30 m-f in school hols but mum now emailed to say in oct half term she will only need me 4 days rather than the 5. She is on TC so will she still be paid for 5. If so am I entitled to charge her or do I accept it & review contract? Im confused...Thanks if anyone can help

I don't wish to lose them for the sake of a day but obviously don't want her chopping & changing all the time & thinking it is ok :(

cathtee
12-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi if you are contracted for 5 days then you are entitled to 5 days pay, I know she is giving you plenty of notice but unless she wants to change contracts for 4 day holiday cover for all holidays then she may be within the time period to make changes.

Hope this helps

lucyD
12-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi if you are contracted for 5 days then you are entitled to 5 days pay, I know she is giving you plenty of notice but unless she wants to change contracts for 4 day holiday cover for all holidays then she may be within the time period to make changes.

Hope this helps

Yes, its like she is taking a days holiday, so in contract I get paid in full for parent holiday. Will put this to her & see what she says. She will prob then just use me as she is paying for it. I just hate the idea of her getting the TC money for using me then keeping it

bunyip
13-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Yes, its like she is taking a days holiday, so in contract I get paid in full for parent holiday. Will put this to her & see what she says. She will prob then just use me as she is paying for it. I just hate the idea of her getting the TC money for using me then keeping it

To be fair, do you have any solid reason to believe she will be over-claiming on the TC? She might actually be an honest person who tells HMRC the correct figures. Or it could genuinely slip her mind to inform them, although I understand HMRC are being a bit stricter on this than previously.

Also, HMRC use some rather complicated calculations to work out a claim. So it is mathematically possible that the TC award for 4 days and 5 days are the same. Based on the claimant's circumstances, they get a % of the cost of childcare, but there's a fixed upper limit. So, if it hits that upper limit over 4 days' fees, she'll not get any more for 5, 6 or 7 days. (Admittedly, this last point is unlikely to apply: I think the weekly cap is just over £200 for 2 lo's.)

If you have reason to be suspicious, then you are perfectly entitled to call the TC Helpline. They'll take the details and decide whether to investigate. They will not report back to you on the findings, but may contact you if they want to collect further evidence to support an investigation.

No offence meant, and maybe you have a good reason to doubt the mum's honesty, but I do find it a little sad that so many CMs immediately assume the worst of their clients. :(

tess1981
13-09-2012, 08:48 AM
To be fair, do you have any solid reason to believe she will be over-claiming on the TC? She might actually be an honest person who tells HMRC the correct figures. Or it could genuinely slip her mind to inform them, although I understand HMRC are being a bit stricter on this than previously.

Also, HMRC use some rather complicated calculations to work out a claim. So it is mathematically possible that the TC award for 4 days and 5 days are the same. Based on the claimant's circumstances, they get a % of the cost of childcare, but there's a fixed upper limit. So, if it hits that upper limit over 4 days' fees, she'll not get any more for 5, 6 or 7 days. (Admittedly, this last point is unlikely to apply: I think the weekly cap is just over £200 for 2 lo's.)

If you have reason to be suspicious, then you are perfectly entitled to call the TC Helpline. They'll take the details and decide whether to investigate. They will not report back to you on the findings, but may contact you if they want to collect further evidence to support an investigation.

No offence meant, and maybe you have a good reason to doubt the mum's honesty, but I do find it a little sad that so many CMs immediately assume the worst of their clients. :(

with the greatest respect to everyone using this site I admit I have to agree. I charge a set fee 52 weeks of the year if i take a day off (not holiday) i do not charge parents but i leave it up to them to inform tax credits if they not paying me full fee. Tax credits will eventually ask me how much did Mrs X pay this year to you and I tell them. a vast majority of parents are honest so i never ring to check. I suppose somewhere along the line we do get stung but we should not allow this to taint our view of others.

again this is not meant to offend anyone and i hope i didnt :)

AliceK
13-09-2012, 09:36 AM
If your contract states full pay for childs holiday then this would be classed as a holiday and would still be payable. I would just invoice as usual. If she brings it up refer her back to your contract.

xxx