PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for next steps...?

EmmaReed84
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a 41 month old mindee who is not very imaginative in his play. He often likes to play with cars, but puts them in lines, all in order facing the same way. He does not really do role play and is very matter of fact.

In an assessment I did, I put I wanted to tempt out his imagination a bit more. Anyway today we were singing and we used to attend "tiny tots" and they have a few variations of Row, Row your boat. So we sang them, then he made up his own version.

Row, row, row your boat, in amongst the trees, merrily merrily down the stream, now it's time for Monkeys!" then giggled and made monkey noises...

I have written out the ob and linked it, but struggling to think of some ideas of what to do next with him.

sarak31
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Very cute song!

You could pursue the music angle as this may have been what fired his imagination - go to a music group. Our children's centre has free groups, you may find something similar. Sing more at home and dance around. make musical instruments - shakers are easy and you can get creative decorating them.

You could pursue the monkey theme as he may really like monkeys (who doesn't!) - make monkey masks, dress up and be monkeys, go to the zoo if you have one near you, look them up on the Internet, go to the library and find books on them, get a zoo play set out for him ...

Hope those ideas help!

EmmaReed84
12-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Oh I like those ideas.

The problem with the group thing is that on a Friday morning we went to Tiny Tots which is a music and movement group, when we were looking at his playschool days, Mum wanted him to still have Friday morning free to continue going too the group. Over the holidays the group changed to Friday afternoons when he is at playschool. I still go with his sister. And there are no other groups on like that, especially to fit in with the time he is at playschool.

We generally sing everyday, but this is the first time he made up a song like that. He does like Monkeys, I have a Monkey harness which he uses when we are out. I Love the Monkey theme ideas!

sarah707
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Putting cars in lines is part of a trajectory schema - a schema is a repeated pattern of play.

Look for other ideas he might enjoy here -

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/357248

Hth :D

EmmaReed84
12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
As always sarah707... THANK YOU :thumbsup:

Trouble
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
i was just going to say that sarah ! you could do sizes or colours from the cars:idea:

sandy64
12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Putting cars in lines is part of a trajectory schema - a schema is a repeated pattern of play.

Look for other ideas he might enjoy here -

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/357248

Hth :D

thanks sarah thats afab webpage not seen it before but will enjoy useing it for info ive lo who runs round in circles around anythink and everyone always wondered why now maybe able to find out more:)