PDA

View Full Version : Initial Assessment of Child

eviesmum
12-09-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm a new childminder and I know I need to do a baseline assessment type of thing when a new child starts with me. But how much detail should I record? I've been looking for a form to use but they seem to vary so much and I'm really confused about which will be best. Some link to the EYFS and others don't. And I can't open the attachments on here :( Any help would be fab!

EmmaReed84
12-09-2012, 09:19 AM
When I take on a new child I get the parents/child to do an All About Me form. Asking questions about their likes, interests, favourite toys etc. I then over the next few weeks/months do various things with the children making notes and observing how they play first of all getting ideas for future play, where they are in regards to DM etc.

Then when I feel I have enough observations I do an assessment with next steps and start from there, I do this cycle ever 6-12 weeks.

Everyone is different in how they do things, I have changed the way I work several times over my first year until I settled in to a sort of routine with it all.

eviesmum
12-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Thank you! I've got them to do an All About Me booklet so I'm on the right tracks then! I was thinking that I needed to do an assessment straightaway but it makes sense to wait and observe them first. That's helped a lot, thank you.

sarah707
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Your starting points assessment will be done over the first few weeks - for part timers it might take longer.

It will include info from parents and other settings if relevant plus your own observations.

hth :D

eviesmum
13-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks Sarah. He's only coming 1 afternoon a week at the mo so I think it will take a while! I'm just making some notes and doing some obs for now.