PDA

View Full Version : Help re charging..

Jelly Baby
12-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi,

I look after twins full time and have done so for a couple of years now. Everything has gone along steady, they are a lovely family and children.
When we decided the weekly bill it was a case of bartering an amount and i am happy with what i get.

Lately there has been talk of the boys starting pre school and they will be doing so maybe of next week. they will be using their 15 free hours so i will not have them for 2.5 days out of the week.

The parents called me round last night and told me one of their hours had been cut and cant pay me for the days they are at pre school and need me to ammend fees. their hourly rate is not great when i look at it and even charging half isn't a huge drop for them but i cant afford to work for nothing. The pre school shuts in holidays too so i would have them throughout meaning i need some to keep the place.

What would you do?
Thanks

EmmaReed84
12-09-2012, 09:24 AM
When I had a parent mention about fees I wrote her a letter stating the reason I charge during funded hours, I also gave her a breakdown of her fees and what she "would have paid" had I not give her any discount and that if she required me to not charge during those hours I would have to re-think the discount.

Suffice to say, parent kept the discount and paid during the hours.

Jods
12-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I charge half fees for pre-school hours x but offer a free lunch on those days x this works for me x

Jelly Baby
12-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks ladies.

A childminder friend and i have run through it and i am shocked at how much i 'should' or should i say 'would' be getting from a normal child. because they are twins the parents like i said bartered the price so ive always gone with what i get. The hourly rate is just over £3 per child so i have to work on this and it's quite depressing. Just doing letter for them so will see how it goes.

Thanks

miffy
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Good luck - I think because the parent has bartered the price with you once they expect to do it again but of course, they will expect you to be available to care for their children in the holidays which is having your cake and eating it in my book!

I hope you can sort it out amicably

Miffy xx

Jelly Baby
12-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks did a letter up earlier and have given them tonight. Really worried about ti tbh as cant afford to lose them but am not going to work for nothing! Dreading tommorow as have a feeling they will ask me to go round and see them so it will drag on all day..will update tommorow.
Thanks again x