PDA

View Full Version : still no work! frustrating

kareninluton
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi
I know it can take months, but we are fast running out of money! i lost the 2 parents who were chasing me before the summer. i needed a good cry today. another childminder started up near the school and got parents i thought i'd got. oh well onwards and upwards!
any advertising tips??? i am doing post cards, children centres, free ads childcare.co.uk, i wear a tshirt outside school, my daughter wears a hi-vis vest with my name and mobile and email on it, childminding groups.
am i missing anything?
what information do you give prospective parents?
Karen

miffy
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry you're finding it tough to get started.

Have you tried advertising at your local baby clinic, library, shop windows. Just tell everyone you meet that you are a childminder.

Hope things pick up for you soon

Miffy xx

JoRo163
11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I think we registered within days of each other and I have been having the same problem!

So far, I've had plenty of enquiries from childcare.co.uk - most have come to nothing, either we didn't click for whatever reason or they want the wrong school... I've had a one off day's work with the possibility of more holiday work (very maybe) a very loose ad-hoc for 2 children I've looked after before (wrong school again) and my sister has gone back to college so I have my niece for just one and a half days a week. So, not a great deal all in all.

I have got someone coming tomorrow wanting 2 nights a week overnight care, which I wasn't over keen on doing initially, but I'm coming round to the idea as I have very little work and need to be earning something! Also I possibly have someone coming to visit at the weekend, their daughter attends the same school as my daughter.

I would suggest getting a website (I'm organising this now - a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm hoping it will bring in some work!) and ask the school to give out your leaflets in book bags. Keep going and it will come together!

Let us know how you get on!

LauraS
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
I think we registered within days of each other and I have been having the same problem!

So far, I've had plenty of enquiries from childcare.co.uk - most have come to nothing, either we didn't click for whatever reason or they want the wrong school... I've had a one off day's work with the possibility of more holiday work (very maybe) a very loose ad-hoc for 2 children I've looked after before (wrong school again) and my sister has gone back to college so I have my niece for just one and a half days a week. So, not a great deal all in all.

I have got someone coming tomorrow wanting 2 nights a week overnight care, which I wasn't over keen on doing initially, but I'm coming round to the idea as I have very little work and need to be earning something! Also I possibly have someone coming to visit at the weekend, their daughter attends the same school as my daughter.

I would suggest getting a website (I'm organising this now - a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm hoping it will bring in some work!) and ask the school to give out your leaflets in book bags. Keep going and it will come together!

Let us know how you get on!

Do it yourself. It is seriously easy, honestly, and costs very little. I think I spent about £3.60/month for hosting and £7 for a domain name. I am a total internet numpty but I think my site looks ok. I used wix.com

I would second having a website. Even when contacting parents on childcare.co.uk I think it helps, because they can see what they are getting with you. All the profiles on childcare.co.uk blur into one after you have read a few - having a website that says more about you and provides lots of pictures makes you stand out.

Other than that, keep at it. I registered at the end of June and was despairing over the summer, having only had a couple of temp/ad hoc contracts. As of mid-August I had had loads visit and disappear or fall through for various reasons and was totally miserable about it. I have since taken on two families who I had seen way back at the beginning who I thought had disappeared - they came back. I also had someone start at very short notice. I have another coming to sign on Thursday. That makes me full (not counting the space I have from 1pm on a Thursday and Friday afternoon :). Today I turned away an enquiry for the first time, woo hoooo me :laughing:. Keep going, it could change overnight, tomorrow could be it :). Fingers crossed.

Angela234
12-09-2012, 07:50 AM
It will happen i came back to work after 2 1/2 years out started ads back at March in July got 2 enquiries in the same week both started with me last week had 2 more enquiries last week but can't do at moment as also have 2 young grandchildren so they are all young 9 months 12 months and 2 x 13months.
I was getting stressed about not getting any calls at all never thought i would have to wait 6 months

Really hope the phone rings soon

Good luck

Ballette
12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Sending good luck vibes your way :)

Ripeberry
12-09-2012, 09:40 AM
If you are an NCMA member you can be listed an show your vacancies on the ****** website that they run. Just log in an follow the instructions. Very easy to do.

nipper
12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
I would definitely recommend having a website, particularly if you are registered with childcare.co.uk. It gives prospective parents a chance to have a closer look at your setting, but from a distance if you know what I mean. I also think it is a fantastic way to sell yourself moreso than you can in an initial telephone call. It is very often the website that parents mention when they decide to call to see if you have any vacancies!
Where I live I know of at least five other childminders who operate but none of them have websites.
I gave up teaching to become a childminder and was full within six months because I threw myself into advertising and filling my spaces. I had to do it because I had to match my teaching wage, albeit working from 7.30am - 6pm every weekday with only four weeks off per year.
My existing parents all comment that my website was one of the best they had seen (I'm not trying to be big-headed here at all) just to prove that it's all about the image you portray. Things like accurate spelling and good use of English also prove to parents that you are professional.

As far as the lack of mindees situation is concerned, just sit tight and something will come along soon...they're a bit like buses, you wait all day and then two come along. Before you know it you'll be turning them away!

At the risk of my thread being removed this is the link to my website...
www.nipperstelford.moonfruit.com (which does have a link back to the childminding forum)

Apologies if I'm not allowed to use my website name here.

AliceK
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Have you tried advertising on Netmums and also Gumtree. I have got parents from both those sites.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

xxx

loocyloo
12-09-2012, 10:40 AM
i moved and had to start from scratch in a new area where i knew no one!

it was hard work, and i thought i would never get any children. i told everyone and anyone i was a childminder, asked all the local shops/coffee shops/farm shops/soft play everywhere and anywhere if i could put a flier or business card up. i spoke to local health visitors, childrens centre and drs & dentists! i went along to toddler groups ( on my own ... my own children were at school! ) i chatted to mums, played with children and helped with teas & snack! there is only one childminder where i live and a few scattered around, but i spoke to them and met up and made links. i put an advert on the school notice board and school put me on their newsletter.

it took 4 mths for me to get my first mindee, just 5 hrs, one day a week. ( mum from toddlers ) and then i was out & about everywhere in personalised tshirt/fleece/umbrella - all saying 'childminder' and then a coupel of months later, i got lots of calls, mainly from word of mouth and people saying they had seen me around!

goodluck xxx

nipper
12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Just thought, is it worth contacting some of your local childminders to let them know you are up and running? I have got to know a couple of mine who were really grateful when I put some new business their way too, when I couldn't take on any more children. I think people are quietly appreciative of this.

Jods
12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
A friend of mine did a cake and juice day, where local parents could come to her place and have a chat, she also offered free taster sessions - suffice to say she is full with a waiting list.

You can also approach some of the large companies (ie. Tescos) who might be local to you, to see if you can pop an add up on their notice board.

Get your self out to the local play schemes groups, even as a volunteer

(just ideas that might be a bit different and new to try)

Rebecca Foster
12-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I know it can be tough starting out but just grit your teeth, you will get there!!

:)

Chrysalis
22-09-2012, 10:59 AM
This thread has lifted my spirits a bit - I've been registered for over a month now and advertising anywhere I can think of. Had a few enquiries but nothing has come of any of them. I think my problem is that I can only offer 3 days a week as I am also studying for a postgraduate diploma.

Anyway, it's good to hear all the stories and encouragement. I will persist! It's getting very tough though :(

Good luck to everyone xxx

gegele
22-09-2012, 12:39 PM
It took nearly 6months between registration and starting minding then i went nearly full within 3weeks!!!!:eek::clapping::D

i did work as a home carer during evening and week end until minding picked up, then i kept week shift just in case then then just worked 1sunday night every 2weeks to keep a foot through the door just in case.

watched kettele never boil :D mindees are like buses, you wait for one ages then there are 2-3 !!:clapping:

good luck, just get chatting at the school gates:thumbsup: