PDA

View Full Version : 5 under 5's can I or cant i

mushpea
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
on a Monday I have a 2.5yrold , a 4.5yrold and a 9month old,, a parent of siblings of whom the eldest has been with me three years wants me to have them extra on mondays too when needed can I do this
so to clarify if I had them aswell on a monday I would have
9month old 10am-8pm
2.5yrold 8am-5pm
4.5yrold 8am-1pm
then the sibblings
3.5yrold 8am-5pm
14month 8am-5pm

can I self variation this one ?

sarah707
10-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Theoretically for continuity of care I think so yes...

Write your RA very carefully noting how you will make sure it is in the best interests of each of the children... how you will meet each of their individual needs... how you will ensure they get outside experiences... how you will ensure they are all stimulated etc with appropriate activities...

Make sure all the parents know what you are doing so they don't make 'over minding' calls to Ofsted.

It will take some planning and organisation I think.

To be honest I wouldn't do it on my own... with dp as my co-childminder and knowing all the children very well maybe...

On my own I'd worry about getting them all outside esp in the rain or through winter and organising meal times because I can't see them from the kitchen and I don't have enough quiet places to put them if they are all tired at the same time etc.

Do you have to inform your LA? We do in Cheshire East so they know what we are doing... they might be able to give you advice as well.

Hth :D

JCrakers
10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Right move aside...the variation expert is here :laughing:

It would be allowed but whether or not I would want to do it is another matter.
Looks like hard work and a long day, working until 8pm :eek: that's a 12 hr day

Although it sounds like it wouldn't be every Monday so you could give a try and see how you manage.
What I would particularly look at is

How would you manage in a fire
How would you get out the house if you needed to
Do you have car room or buggy space
Is there room for all to eat

And more importantly do you have enough wine in for when you finish ;) :thumbsup:

The Juggler
10-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Right move aside...the variation expert is here :laughing:

It would be allowed but whether or not I would want to do it is another matter.
Looks like hard work and a long day, working until 8pm :eek: that's a 12 hr day

Although it sounds like it wouldn't be every Monday so you could give a try and see how you manage.
What I would particularly look at is

How would you manage in a fire
How would you get out the house if you needed to
Do you have car room or buggy space
Is there room for all to eat

And more importantly do you have enough wine in for when you finish ;) :thumbsup:

lol, crackers I'm with you on that. wine o'clock indeed! mushpea in theory - no problem and with one being 4.5 I'd say it wouldn't be different to having 4 and say , your own young school child at home with a cold etc, etc but I'd not be wanting to do it often!

mushpea
10-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your replys, it would tale some organizing but to be fair the three older ones are very independant so getting outside in the garden would be fine as for going out an about because one goes at 1pm an the other arrives 10am there's not really much time to go out anyway, 5 should be for only 3 hrs then down to four. Proving its benificial to all children do they mean things like children socializing more, learning to play with different age children an how to treat them, turn taking and sharing, learning to help younger children, joining in group activities, am I on the right lines?
I have enough space at the table and equipment plus they can either help make lunch or do drawing whilst I make lunch
As for a fire babys would bu tucked in arms and older ones would follow me then outside we would all sit together on the grass in acircle holding hands or cuddling youngest
At the moment its all just thoughts as it may not happen its just typical that dad suddenly changes jobs a month after I fill my last space that'd been open for 2yrs!.

bunyip
11-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Best of luck.

I tend to think that if Mother Nature doesn't normally provide a mum with 5 under-5's at the same time, then who am I to try it. :eek:

miffy
11-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Best of luck.

I tend to think that if Mother Nature doesn't normally provide a mum with 5 under-5's at the same time, then who am I to try it. :eek:

:laughing::laughing:

Good luck mushpea!

Miffy xx

mushpea
11-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Best of luck.

:laughing: I like it,,, theres a woman lives near me she has 8 children of her own :eek: a set of twins and at least 2 others who arent at school yet, I personaly think shes slightly barmy, at least I can send mine home at the end of the day:laughing:

I'm hoping I wont have to do it but I hate letting people down and so if I have to suffer for 3hrs once a week then so be it but all the children I have are very well behaved and calm at the moment, I dont have any that are constantly up to mischief or climbing on everything etc so hopefully it would work , I think that I would tell the parents of the sibblings I will try it once and if its too much or it dosent work then I wont be able to do it again, yes actutaly thats a good idea cause if I do find it to much i then have a get out clause lol

gegele
11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Best of luck.

ah ah ah ah ah ah well mother nature could but rarely does :D:D

to be honest i wouldn't either.

you have it pictured with big one drawing, baby happy in your arms and others helping, (which always makes it harder work in truth)
but have you also try in your head the fact that the 2.5 is going to follow the 4.5 who doesn't want to be follow and might eventually snap and push while 3.5 has an accident and pee all other himself...14months old is cutting his molar and the 9months old starts a separation anxiety period so when you put him down to tend to the bumped head and the dirty child he will sreech non stop. when you'll turn around you'll deiscover the 14months old exploring the world in the pee puddle under the table!!!

make sure you're prepared for the worst as well as the best.

if it was a one off i probably would to help for a doctor appointment but not every week, not alone.

good luck

Mouse
11-09-2012, 09:41 AM
With those ages I think it's perfectly manageable for a short time. I wouldn't want to do it all the time though!

mushpea
11-09-2012, 10:08 AM

you have it pictured with big one drawing, baby happy in your arms and others helping, (which always makes it harder work in truth)
but have you also try in your head the fact that the 2.5 is going to follow the 4.5 who doesn't want to be follow and might eventually snap and push while 3.5 has an accident and pee all other himself...14months old is cutting his molar and the 9months old starts a separation anxiety period so when you put him down to tend to the bumped head and the dirty child he will sreech non stop. when you'll turn around you'll deiscover the 14months old exploring the world in the pee puddle under the table!!!

if it was a one off i probably would to help for a doctor appointment but not every week, not alone.

good luck

:laughing: sorry your quite right and I know it wasnt meant to make me laugh but it did cause i can easily picture you scenario and yet it can all quite easily happen but i guess thats where knowing the children you have comes in as I know how to deal with all of them when they are having off days, yes the accident thing wether it be a wee or a bleeding accident wouldnt be easy but when I had 8 after school and I had a serious incident I just kept the others insight of me at all times whilst I delt with the injured child, I have also been know to sit them all down on the side of the path whildst dealing with a bashed knee injury before so i know where they are,, they just took it as a big adventure lol
I definatly couldnt do it all day but on an odd occasion and for only 3 hours I would consider it,, mind you thats only with the promise of a big glass of wine when theyve all gone home:laughing:

blue bear
11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
If I knew all the children well and that they would gel together well I would trial it for the first three hours but make it clear it was a trial.
I have four under five regularly (four under two when it started) and in the holidays a reception child so at one point she was also 4.5 and to be honest we had no problems. it just takes a lot of preparation to ensure everyone gets the best.

The Juggler
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM

good luck

i agree with this. I have 4 each day. On good days it's gorgeous and bliss - but still hard work - on bad days I'm pulling my hair out, near to tears and ready to drop at the end of the day :panic:

You can almost guarantee that the day the baby is fractious, the older ones will go through an 'accidents' stage with toileting and the toddler will be going through a hiting or pushing stage :panic:

I would tell them you will only do it if an absolute emergency and if they can't get anyone else to help