PDA

View Full Version : knocking or walking in?

greanan
10-09-2012, 06:27 PM
as title says do your parents knock and wait for you to answer or just walk in? new wee one started today, and mum just walks in when dropping off and collecting, she did the same during settling in too. all other parents knock and wait apart from when its pouring.

Zumba-mum
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Your door should be fully locked so no one can just wonder in!

Zoomie
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
my doors are locked so they have no choice.

Are you not putting yourself / children at risk from strangers doing the same thing?

Pipsqueak
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
My setting (home) is secure - people cannot just walk in and out my home. They have to knock to gain entry

Children also exited the setting (home) without my knowledge

My front door is locked and the rule is only an adult can open the door or my older two sons.

cathtee
10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
My front door is locked at all times only to be opened by me, by leaving it unlocked anyone could walk in while busy or one of the children could let themselves out:panic:, please lock you door for all of your safety

sarah707
10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Everything should be locked up!

Parents knock / ring the bell and wait - if I am changing a nappy they wait a little longer.

I let them in and decide how far into the house they can come :laughing: :D

Greengrass74
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Same as others have said our door is always locked as is the side gate to the garden so no one can get in.

I think you should keep the door locked so no one can get in, or LO's can't get out.

miffy
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Doors locked here too!

And children know that they are not allowed to open the door to anyone if I am changing a nappy or dealing with something - hubby has had to wait outside more than once! :D

Miffy xx

BucksCM
10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I take it that you (OP) don't have a latch/lock on your door?
I don't "lock" mine, but it can only be opened from the inside.
As everyone else has said, bit of a safeguarding issue :eek:

Children aren't allowed to open the door unless they ask an adult in this house too:)

JCrakers
10-09-2012, 07:07 PM
My doors always locked :D

You need to lock it as you never know who will come in uninvited :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
10-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Doors locked here too!

And children know that they are not allowed to open the door to anyone if I am changing a nappy or dealing with something - hubby has had to wait outside more than once! :D

Miffy xx

And many a parent too having to wait!

Many years ago and a totally different house we did leave the door unlocked at pick up times but this was before Ofsted and door was locked at all other times.

Carol xx

Ripeberry
10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Just keep your door locked. If anyone can walk in what's to stop them walking in and attacking you and the children?
What's to stop children walking out? :panic:

mushpea
10-09-2012, 07:55 PM
OMG anyone could just walk in :eek:, this is a serious safeguarding issue which needs to be addressed.
my front door cant be opend from the outside and I have a sliding lock high up on the inside so mindees cant get out, we also have the rule that only adults open my door.

hectors house
10-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm naughty too and unlock inside door around time parents collecting, so parents can come in and catch us playing - I love my open door policy but going to use the excuse of "all new EYFS" to stop this as I do know that uninvited people could walk in and Ofsted would go mental! I have a porch so parents can step in out of rain and read parent info board in case I can't get to door immediately. My safety policy says door is locked at all times so I guess the time has come to do what I say I do (although the parents know I haven't until now).

BucksCM
10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
"Open door policy" doesn't mean literally "open door" though!:eek:

karen m
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
My front door is always locked,back door which leads of from kitchen/diner is unlocked so children can freely go in and out but gate is locked

tulip0803
10-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Door is always locked and only an adult to open it.

Had a problem about a year ago with DD2 opening the door when anyone knocked and had to explain that she must not do it even if she knows who is there, she hasn't done it for a long time. I also have bolt at the very top that I can shoot across if it ever became a problem with any child trying to open door (high latch too). I saw DS open the door at about 20 months by pushing his sit and ride toy over, standing on it and undoing the latch which was shoulder height to me - luckily I saw him.

jelly15
11-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Doors locked here too, key is kept in my pocket.

Kiddleywinks
11-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Door locked here too, open door means they can peak through the windows if they get here earlier and see what we're doing, before they knock to announce their arrival ;)

margaret
11-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Door locked here ,and parents and children discouraged from peering through window ,i have nothing to hide but find it frightening to suddenly see someone peering in at me ,encouraged to stand away from door to give me space,cant abide people who want to charge in ,obviously no manners and children should be taught this.

ziggy
11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
door locked and key on hook high up on wall, had a 3yr old stand on toy to get key once so am looking to get a chain as well.

we are on main road so would never leave door open

caz3007
11-09-2012, 08:21 AM
My door is always locked and key on a hook up high. My DS can reach, he is 9 and can unlock the door, but only does if told to. I mind in my front room and can see who is at the door, if its a parent and I am changing a nappy or cant get there straight away, or we are in the bathroom, just call out that I wont be a minute.

I had a mindie a while ago that let himself out of his OWN front door and ended up walking around the streets at 6.30 and he was 2. Luckily he was seen by someone who knows me and she bought him to me as she didnt know where he lived. Since then my door and that parents door was locked

Ballette
11-09-2012, 08:22 AM
As others have said, this is a Safeguarding issue. Door should be locked at all times during minded hours. :eek:

hectors house
11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Point taken - Door now locked, although only to stop un invited people coming in as have never had a mindee even get out of the first front door into the porch - have door from lounge into hall, then front door into large porch then front door out onto drive in quiet cul de sac. I pride myself on my supervision and children know they are not allowed to open either front door without me.

Just writing a note to go on door now explaining to parents why door is locked - although I'm going have to hide a key in porch as sometimes if back door is open the inside front door (one I have now locked on a catch) slams shut and I wouldn't want to be locked out while children inside.

gegele
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I do not lock my door as In my opinion in a emergency i want the kids to be able to get out to get help.
i slipped down the stair a few month back and i was stucked on the stairs, lucky it was a week end, hubby was in garden with children i had to wait for 1 of them to come to back door so i could call out, and hubby my hero came to save me :-)
my children know to go and call my neighbour in case of emergency and i 'm now going to have to teach the nearly 3yrs old the same thing.

my front door is bummer to open anyway so right now only my older one manage it (even parent struggle at time ah aha h )
there is a second door, and younger children are in back of the house with me with a stair gate at the door, older children know not to open the door to stranger and will open door to parents. some parents come by back gate as they know i'm in kitchen feeding the babies or in garden.

i'm one of those people who have only 1child lock on the car as i'm worried that in a crash the children need to get out themself, well the biggen helping little ones out. i know it could be the right door damaged... but it's an illogical fear i can't deal with.
so younger child is sat in middle, the next younger by door with lock which is behind me and the biggest small one is on the left and knows not to touch the door.

:thumbsup:

mandy moo
11-09-2012, 09:14 AM
My front door if not locked, can be opened from the outside..
Its always locked..
I just dont like the idea of any old tom, dick or harry just letting themselves in..

My keys are on a hook away from little hands, but low enough that my youngest son (almost 11) could reach in an emergency.

lisa1968
11-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Despite it being a safeguarding issue........how rude of the parent to just walk in!! I don't even walk into my mum's without knocking first!!