PDA

View Full Version : overnight care

jake
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I would like to offer overnight care,but not sure what the requirements are for this?Do i have to have a special room just for this?My husbands child comes to stay with us every other weekend,so his room is not used the majority of the time!Would i be allowed to use his room during the week to offer overnight care?
Any advise on this would be really appreciated. Thanks Jake:)

Daftbat
10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I have provided overnight care for years and to answer your questions:

1. No you do not necessarily need a separate room for the child - just a separate bed. My daughter shared with a mindee (boy) whilst they were both young and I used a put up bed in her room. As my daughter got older she used to share with me and her dad but then I stopped with this particular child as I felt it no longer fitted in with the privacy she needed.

2. You do need to check whether you need a separate smoke detector in the bed room you use. I know that this bit has had different responses in the past.

3. You need to show how you will meet the overnbight needs of a chils - e.g using a monitor, stair gates at top of stairs, own bedding and towels and toothbrush etc.

This is all you really need. I do overnight now and then still and its a really handy tool to have the licence since it means that you can accomodate emergencies/mother going in to labour etc etc without worrying.

jake
10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Thankyou for your help,does that mean its ok to use my stepsons bed as long as i use seperate bedding for minded children?And do i still need to inform ofsted that i am now offering overnight care?I was told by another childminder in my area that as long as you meet requirements that you no longer have to inform them. Thanks again. Jake:)

Daftbat
10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Yes you can use the same bed with different bedding and yes I think the requirements re Ofsted have changed but I would do a risk assessment anyway and give them a call just to check.

sarah707
10-09-2012, 05:14 PM
You must speak Ofsted before you can offer overnight care :D

Mouse
10-09-2012, 05:22 PM
You must speak Ofsted before you can offer overnight care :D

Sarah, do you still need Ofsted approval, or do you just need to tell them what your plans are? I've had a local cm tell me you no longer need to do anything & can just do overnight care.

winstonian
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I contacted Ofsted and have had an email back to say
Thank you for your email.

In response to your enquiry, Ofsted will stop using conditions of registration as a matter of course from September 2012 and will also soon begin to remove standard conditions from the certificates of those currently registered on the Early Year's register. As a result Ofsted will no longer deal with variations requests.

Providers must meet the requirements set out in the EYFS including the factors they should take into account when deciding on the numbers and ages of children. It is the responsibility of the registered person to decide whether they meet these requirements. Providers need to be able to demonstrate to parents and inspectors that they understand all the requirements of the EYFS including how many children they are allowed to look after. Ofsted will check at inspections and any other visits that providers understand this requirement and that they are not looking after more children than the EYFS allows.

I hope you find this information helpful.

However should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

sarah707
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I am cross with Ofsted on this one :(

EYFS 2012 requirement 3.76 -
All registered early years providers must notify Ofsted of:
• Any proposal to change the hours during which childcare is provided; or to provide overnight care.

Then their letter to childminders about the changes said that we didn't need to ask permission to add overnight care.

So I emailed them about it and they said the EYFS requirements are law and must be followed :rolleyes:

Don't do anything that will get you into trouble :(

Rebecca Foster
11-09-2012, 06:44 AM
:)Best thing to do is speak to ofsted for advice and the correct procedure

jake
11-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys!Its a bit confusing isnt it?Think im going to ring them anyway,just to be on the safe side:D

winstonian
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I agree Sarah, I called them first and then thats why I emailed them but then got the above reply.