PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having mindees arriving after 8am and needing breakfast?

nipper
10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi, just curious as to what you think. I have one mindee who has a five minute car drive to get to me in the morning who arrives not having had anything to eat or drink despite her being awake since between 6.30 and 7am. She arrives at 8am. Another one (aged 15 months) has a 20 minute car journey, arrives at mine at 8.20am but again has had no drink or food on waking. I tell the mum of the littlest one that I can't give toast until we get back from the school run, as we leave at 8.40am.

I find it strange that these parents are unable to at least sit their children down and try and get some breakfast into them before they leave to come to mine.
Anyone else have experience of this?

tess1981
10-09-2012, 09:01 AM
my mindees (3 of them) arrive just after 8am and they are all fed before coming to me. I had asked mum when they started if she wanted me to give them breakfast but she said they up early and she sets them at the table with cereal or toast or fruit. she says this will keep them going to snack time (10am)

nipper
10-09-2012, 09:06 AM
This is the thing, when we get back off the school run just after nine, I feel that I have to do early snack say by 9.30/9.45 just to satisfy the ones who haven't eaten. Normally I would give snack just after 10am.
In the holidays when I have school aged kids, they have all eaten breakfast at home even if they get here early.

AliceK
10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
All my LO's (EY's) arrive between 7.45 and 8.15 and I give them all breakfast when we return from the school run at about 9.15. The parents know they wont have breakfast until then. Sometimes they will have had breakfast at home but they still want to have some at my house. I also have a schoolie arrive at 8am and he has never had breakfast but he can eat quickly so just has a bowl of cereal before we leave for school. I don't mind too much as I don't have my breakfast until I get back from the school run anyway.

xxx

mushpea
10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
mine all have breakast before arriving, I tell parents that if they want me to give breakfast children need to be here by 8am at the latest or we woulent have time, then the next 'food' time is 10am snack , I cant be constantly feeding children all day as my house is designed so I wouldnt be able to see the children who are in the lounge or play room whilst I am in the kitchen plus we would never go anywhere or get anything done.

muffins
10-09-2012, 09:45 AM
mine all have breakast before arriving, I tell parents that if they want me to give breakfast children need to be here by 8am at the latest or we woulent have time, then the next 'food' time is 10am snack , I cant be constantly feeding children all day as my house is designed so I wouldnt be able to see the children who are in the lounge or play room whilst I am in the kitchen plus we would never go anywhere or get anything done.

Same here, breakfast is served at 8 & cleared away at 8.30, if they want Lo's to have it here then they have to be here by then to eat it!

We dont always come home after the sch run so late breakfasts arent possible!

JCrakers
10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
All mine have breakfast at home as I don't have time between 8-830am and somedays when I arrive back home at 910 I collect another mindee and we head straight out to toddler group.

Somedays my 3yr old may bring some toast that she's not finished but not very often.

rickysmiths
10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
If mine arrive a 8am or later they don't get breakfast. No time before going on school runs (we leave at 8am) and then toddlers or other activities.

Logan
10-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Children who need breakfast need to arrive before 8. I explain this to parents & it is clear from the contracts what they've agreed to. I have a different charge for children who arrive after 8, parents are told that this does not include breakfast. So far, so good!

gegele
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
you should put your foot down with parents. tell them last breaskfast is serve at 7.50-8 whatever you're prepared to do, as you need to get ready for school run.
tell them that children should have breakfast and a drink before coming as snack is at 10 and it is a too long period to leave children without food.

good luck

with lo i sometimes give them a toast or crumpet in the buggy on the want to school.

nipper
10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
tell them that children should have breakfast and a drink before coming as snack is at 10 and it is a too long period to leave children without food.

Exactly my thoughts...think I might suggest this.

ziggy
10-09-2012, 01:38 PM
2 of my mindees arrive here at 8am having had a full breakfast every morning ( bacon, egg etc)

I make it clear that breakfast isnt available after 8.30 here.

In the holidays i had a child who came with box of cereal at 9.15 but i made her wait till snack time at 10 before she could eat it. I felt a bit mean but as mentioned it takes up most of the morning if everyone eats at different times.

Could you mention in a newsletter ?

marnieb
10-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I did a letter telling all my parents that if children arrived any later than 8.15am, then I will not be giving them breakfast.

So far, it's worked!!

SYLVIA
10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
breakfast is for those who get it before 8. I feel that parents have time to feed children themselves if they by that time. Snacks at 10 and that's the next food time. So if they don't eat the breakfast they will be hungry. Cant be doing with drip feeding throughout the day. A few of mine don't have tables at home and are used to picking and going back and forth to the plate. Not here though!

caz3007
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
7.45 is my cut off for breakfast as we have to leave at 8.15. So any arriving after 7.45 have to already be fed.