PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so little work??

donnagwynne
16-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Does any one have any thoughts on this???

Lots of us seem to struggling at the moment and I was wondering whether this was developing into a nationwide trend or is just a blip.

With more parents being helped back to work there should be more work for us, but where is it??

How many of you know childminders who are giving up? There are a few in my area, and I know of two people who went to a pre-registration briefing and did not go on to register.

Have childminders fallen out of favour through bad press?
Have extended schools adversely effected the business?

Is this the beginning of the end of the industry ???

What does everyone think?

MissTinkerbell
16-06-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm lucky in that I live in an area where the head of the local school refuses to have a breakfast or after school club and one where the mums very much prefer a childminder.

I've had 3 enquiries in the last week and have only been advertising for 2 weeks!

christine e
16-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi
I'm in Mansfield Woodhouse and we are overwhelmed with work at the moment.
Where abouts are you in Nottingham?
Christine

emmadines
16-06-2008, 04:27 PM
im in maidstone and have nothing! no calls from parents but i have had aload of cold callers!:angry:

i do know one who's planning to give up!!

sarah707
16-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Can you speak to your development officer..?

You could maybe find out what the situation is locally and whether she can help with promotion etc...:D

cloud9
16-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Does any one have any thoughts on this???

Lots of us seem to struggling at the moment and I was wondering whether this was developing into a nationwide trend or is just a blip.

With more parents being helped back to work there should be more work for us, but where is it??

How many of you know childminders who are giving up? There are a few in my area, and I know of two people who went to a pre-registration briefing and did not go on to register.

Have childminders fallen out of favour through bad press?
Have extended schools adversely effected the business?

Is this the beginning of the end of the industry ???

What does everyone think?

I think for some reason we are all feeling it. in my area of surrey i'm use to at least a couple of enquiries a week by phone and several by e-mail but i have been advertising for 2 months now and have maybe had 2 or 3 enquiries over the whole period. I am starting to get concerned though

Tily Bud
16-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Over the last coulpe of years minders in my area have really struggled, with some having to give up. But just lately there seemd to be more enquiries , ive had 7 over the last few months about the same amount as i had in the the last couple of years , so hopefully things are picking up :D

sue32
16-06-2008, 05:54 PM
It does depend on area, I am a support childminder and all my new minders are getting work, I also have a waiting list from my parents and as soon as one child goes another starts. Hope thing start improving in your area but have a chat with your local schools, nurserys and see if they can help.

Twinkles
16-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I think for some reason we are all feeling it. in my area of surrey i'm use to at least a couple of enquiries a week by phone and several by e-mail but i have been advertising for 2 months now and have maybe had 2 or 3 enquiries over the whole period. I am starting to get concerned though

Probably asked this before , but where in Surrey are you ? I've never been so busy .

bubbly
16-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I've struggled since starting up and am now having to look at throwing in the towel :(

Mrs.L.C
16-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Its goes in waves here in Daventry but we are a small town. I struggled when I first started but over the last 3 years i havnt realy had a problem but I get a lot of word of mouth. I know others here do struggle to get work though and have thought of giving it up. I havnt had a call for months now.

Business is one of the reasons we are doing the Big Toddle. Not only is it a good course but its means we can promote childminders.

there are so many nurseries about now that parents automaticly think of them and not minders. I was speaking to a couple of girls I went to school with and they were going to chose a nursery but were complaining about the cost and when i told them the average minder is £150 a week they were schocked and thought it was about £300 and are now considering childminders.
Even though childminders are more promoted now, I think it still needs alot more.

Hope you dont give up and stick with it. Good luck

berkschick
16-06-2008, 08:36 PM
We are lucky to have lots of work here. In fact there are not enough minders.

We live in the commuter belt for London here in Berkshire though so there is plenty of work for parents therefore plenty for us!

I hope it picks up for you soon though, it must be very frustrating.

Jinx
16-06-2008, 08:44 PM
It comes in waves here for me. I hadn't had any calls for months, then 3 in as many days!!
I've also had 1 lady ring me 3 seperate times over the past 2 weeks!!! She's having alot of problems finding after school care for her 4 year old!!!! Wonder why? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope everyone who is looking to fill spaces have some luck soon.:thumbsup:

Jinx x

son77
16-06-2008, 09:10 PM
It too is very quiet here, I'm lucky as I dont really need to take on any more at the mo but I know some cm's that are struggling.

venus89
17-06-2008, 06:31 AM
im in maidstone and have nothing! no calls from parents but i have had aload of cold callers!:angry:

i do know one who's planning to give up!!

Much the same 20 miles down the road.... The odd phone call which leads to nothing (maybe it's me?!). But 4 mindees retiring in our town so that's good news - the other one who picks up from my school is going to become a doulah (Hooray hooray!)

donnagwynne
17-06-2008, 10:48 AM
whats a doulah??????????????????

I've never heard of this

venus89
17-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Might be spelt wrong....

A doulah helps expecting mums through the days around the birth, holds hand during birth etc.

Mollymop
17-06-2008, 11:02 AM
We seem quite busy in my area at the moment. I know of one childminder who is giving it all up shortly, only because she is getting older and has been a childminder for years.
I have heard of one who is thinking of giving up as she is fed up with doing it, but she always seems full.
I have had 3 enquiries over the past 2 weeks. one was a just, "oh, i am on the look out for a childminder so I will let oyu know" to one who rang and I couldn't help and another who is looking for a new childminder.

My friend should be taking on a 8 year old shortly, she got the enquiry this morning.

Hope things look up for you soon, good luck.x