PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on male childminding

Twinkle star
08-09-2012, 08:23 PM
My husband would absolutely love to join me in childminding. I have just started my course and once I'm qualified he would love to do the course and work along side me, providing there is enough need for us both to work in this type of career.

The thing that concerns him is the 'male' role model rather than a female doing the same job.

What are your opinions and experience on males doing this type of job?

Thank you x

mum24
08-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I know two couples who childmind together, both achieved outstanding grades at their last inspection. They work very well together, and I think parents like the idea of having a man on hand, to give a more rounded (if I can put it that way) approach to playing and learning.
One of the lady childminders does not use the pc at all, but her husband does, and he does all the policies, risk assessments, and itc stuff with the children, she does most of the planning, so the two together compliment each others strengths and weaknesses.
Certainly both couples are almost always full, but I would look carefully at how much childcare is needed and available in your particular area. Things have gone from very busy to very very slow here, and I know several childminders who are leaving the profession because they cannot sustain their business.

Playmate
08-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I have worked with my hubby for 5 years now, we are both graded outstanding. Its the best thing we ever did :D Parents love the flexibility as we have never taken time off sick and we have 2 children who are living with mum with no dad around, so he creates the male role model. It takes time to build a joint business and it can be worrying if work suddenly drops, but overall I totally recomend it :clapping:

gegele
08-09-2012, 10:08 PM
men childminder working as couple don't have the same negative publicity than men working alone,

kids here LOVE my husband, he would enjoy joining me with the bigger ones, playing outdoor... he wouldn't be so keen on nappies, tantrum....:D

Twinkle star
09-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Thank you sooo much for your replies :D

It has given us a lot to think about and a more positive outlook :)

On my pre reg meeting we got the statistics for our area and there are only 4 childminders here and they are the other side of town to us, will have to see how numbers are etc once I'm qualified.

I guess thats the worrying part, if numbers drop and you are not able to earn an income. With us both working together its a big risk to take.
My hubby works in I.T so he could do jobs on the side but it means taking a few hours out of each day to keep that up :panic:

*daisychain*
09-09-2012, 08:39 AM
My hubby started working with me last week , and I love it. The first day he found it a little difficult getting his head round the fact it was 'work', as it is such a change from his last job. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, he said it wasn't easy but struggled to explain, he hit the nail on the head last night when he realised his new job was enjoyable! he has never enjoyed work before until now.
The children adore him, we just have to correct lots of little people from calling him "dad" now :blush:
It was a risk him giving up his old job, but he is saving £200 a month on petrol not having to travel to work.
Good luck to you and your husband if you start childminding together :)

francinejayne
09-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Thank you sooo much for your replies :D

It has given us a lot to think about and a more positive outlook :)

On my pre reg meeting we got the statistics for our area and there are only 4 childminders here and they are the other side of town to us, will have to see how numbers are etc once I'm qualified.

I guess thats the worrying part, if numbers drop and you are not able to earn an income. With us both working together its a big risk to take.
My hubby works in I.T so he could do jobs on the side but it means taking a few hours out of each day to keep that up :panic:

Hi Becky,
Since I have been minding I have been full (well as full as I want to be as I don't want too many, job enjoyment is my priority!) and I regularly turn down business. I know you said you would like to move nearer to where I live - I think there would be enough business to keep you both busy, but perhaps you could start the childminding up then your hubbie could join you? It is normal that most people want a few days a week care rather than 5 days a week, so perhaps hubbie could continue to work in IT the days that he wouldn't be full, just to keep himself in with the IT side of things and to earn a bit more income?

I also think that people would love a husband a wife team - I am not aware of any at all in our areas. My hubbie says he could never do my job though so hats off to yours!!

If you ever want to come round here to actually meet me and see what goes on then let me know!
xx

sarah707
09-09-2012, 09:48 AM
My partner works part time with me - he also has another job.

We love working together! It's brilliant to have someone to bounce ideas off and chat to and share concerns with ...

Parents like it too and the children love playing games with him!

I would say go for it! :D

Twinkle star
09-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the replies :)

and thank you francinejayne for the information specifically for our area :D

I'm going to finish the course and see what kind of requests i get, i don't mind taking on part time children or ones just for a few hours but for us both to do it we would need more full timers. Good idea about doing half half, theres I.T jobs he can do from home so on the days/hours were there is a gap he could be doing his other work.

So much to think about, gives me a headache at times lol I'm so organised i just need to get stuck in :D

(Oh and thank you francinejayne for the very kind offer to come and see how things are done, once I've got through the course or near the end it would be lovely to come and talk to you, i will have a better understanding then and be able to see how things run more clearly) xxx

Rick
14-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Thank you for the replies :)

and thank you francinejayne for the information specifically for our area :D

I'm going to finish the course and see what kind of requests i get, i don't mind taking on part time children or ones just for a few hours but for us both to do it we would need more full timers. Good idea about doing half half, theres I.T jobs he can do from home so on the days/hours were there is a gap he could be doing his other work.

So much to think about, gives me a headache at times lol I'm so organised i just need to get stuck in :D

(Oh and thank you francinejayne for the very kind offer to come and see how things are done, once I've got through the course or near the end it would be lovely to come and talk to you, i will have a better understanding then and be able to see how things run more clearly) xxx

It is a worry re enquiries. I am (soon to be once my certificate arrives!) an independant male childminder (in fact the only one in my region). Having asked around at play groups, everyone has said it wouldn't bother them, me being a chap looking after their children. Also I think there are two trains of thought here, I may have some people who would think it wasn't a good idea having a male childminder looking after their child but others (single mums maybe?) who would think it was a fantastic idea.

I haven't started advertising yet but I think there are a lot of people who are interested in how many enquiries I get. I have had some interest from parents at play group but that may be because they all know me!

bunyip
14-09-2012, 08:53 AM
It is a worry re enquiries. I am (soon to be once my certificate arrives!) an independant male childminder (in fact the only one in my region). Having asked around at play groups, everyone has said it wouldn't bother them, me being a chap looking after their children. Also I think there are two trains of thought here, I may have some people who would think it wasn't a good idea having a male childminder looking after their child but others (single mums maybe?) who would think it was a fantastic idea.

I haven't started advertising yet but I think there are a lot of people who are interested in how many enquiries I get. I have had some interest from parents at play group but that may be because they all know me!

Hi Rick. I'm also an independent male CM. My wife works as my assistant, but only for an hour or 2 each day (really just so I can do the pm school run without having to wake a lo who's sleeping, or if there's a late collection.)

I usually advertise as a husband/wife - CM/assistant team, and a lot of enquirers assume that my DW is the CM and I'm the assistant. Some enquirers seem to be put off by this, others are OK with it. As you say, it is actually a positive benefit for some. My first mindee came from a single mum who strongly wanted a good male influence. But then there are others who think men shouldn't be anywhere near children - which is strange cos, last time I checked, babies don't get made without fathers. Oh well...:(

Conversely, all the chaps at my local (ex-miners and iron-workers, the type you might expect to be prejudiced and chauvenist) think it's great and are always genuinely interested to hear how things are going.

TBH, I've had far more negative comments and cold-shouldering from other EY 'professionals' than from mums. But it seems to be a very small minority who dislike someone different moving into their cosy little world. I just tend to accept that every part of society has it's share of prats, and that's more their problem than mine. If anything, it inspires me to do a far better job than them.

I've also found, bizarrely, that some people assume I'm gay :confused: (or is it the pink polo shirt?)

One word of caution (and this isn't related to the male/female thing, and may just be my area.) I had a lot of interest expressed when I was pre-reg, which seemed to melt away as soon as I got my certificate. A lot of people were saying, "great, we need more CMs round here" but that didn't mean they were prepared to use one. I suspect they really meant, "we could do with too many CMs round here, so that the fees get dragged down even further." :p

Anyway, good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll find it very satisfying. :thumbsup:

tess1981
14-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi Rick. I'm also an independent male CM. My wife works as my assistant, but only for an hour or 2 each day (really just so I can do the pm school run without having to wake a lo who's sleeping, or if there's a late collection.)

I usually advertise as a husband/wife - CM/assistant team, and a lot of enquirers assume that my DW is the CM and I'm the assistant. Some enquirers seem to be put off by this, others are OK with it. As you say, it is actually a positive benefit for some. My first mindee came from a single mum who strongly wanted a good male influence. But then there are others who think men shouldn't be anywhere near children - which is strange cos, last time I checked, babies don't get made without fathers. Oh well...:(

Conversely, all the chaps at my local (ex-miners and iron-workers, the type you might expect to be prejudiced and chauvenist) think it's great and are always genuinely interested to hear how things are going.

TBH, I've had far more negative comments and cold-shouldering from other EY 'professionals' than from mums. But it seems to be a very small minority who dislike someone different moving into their cosy little world. I just tend to accept that every part of society has it's share of prats, and that's more their problem than mine. If anything, it inspires me to do a far better job than them.

I've also found, bizarrely, that some people assume I'm gay :confused: (or is it the pink polo shirt?)

One word of caution (and this isn't related to the male/female thing, and may just be my area.) I had a lot of interest expressed when I was pre-reg, which seemed to melt away as soon as I got my certificate. A lot of people were saying, "great, we need more CMs round here" but that didn't mean they were prepared to use one. I suspect they really meant, "we could do with too many CMs round here, so that the fees get dragged down even further." :p

Anyway, good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll find it very satisfying. :thumbsup:

:laughing: oh that made me laugh ... I do not know of any male cm near or far from me would love to see it

Rick
14-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your reply (my first one on this site!). I'm hoping other childminders won't be too bad, in fact, I know quite a few of them from play groups and are really supportive. If I get any negative comments it will just make me more determined. Just because I'm a bloke, it doesn't mean I can't be the best! I got to know people (mostly mums and childminders) from play groups before I decided to become a childminder so I was just like anyone else, it didn't matter one jot that I wasn't female! And they've continued to be supportive and interested in what I'm doing.
Fingers crossed someone reading my advert will have the same attitude!

Boris
14-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Good on you Rick! Go for it! We have a male childminder in our area and he is great (and busy). Hope it goes well.