PDA

View Full Version : Flexible days enquiry

Tazmin68
06-09-2012, 07:52 PM
How would you work this one out.
Enquiry term time only as a teacher two days a week but could be any two days as hubby is a fire man and works 4 days on and 4 days off. I thought is was reasonable in that I do offer term time only contracts as I have other children attend during holidays. I offered her half weekly fee as the norm to keep place for her with the other half of daily fee for dats used. I thought that was reasonable has come back to me saying other childminders have quoted less.

LauraS
06-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I think your quote is completely reasonable. A full time place is effectively 260 chargeable days (holidays notwithstanding). She would take up the full space but only pay for 139.5 days with your offer. Under her terms, she would only pay for 78.

If you cam afford to drop that much and have a burning desire to work with a parent who puts her child with the lowest bidder, go for it. I would just tell her that the quality of.your provision means that you cannot drop further and still make a realistic profit, but best wishes etc.

mummyof3
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I'd be cynical and say that maybe she has told you this because she wants you to reduce your fees.
I had this recently and I said my fees still stand and wished her all the best. She rang me back a week later and asked if the place was still available as she didn't want a little matter of money stopping her coming to me. Unfortunately I'd already signed someone else who was happy to pay my fees without quibbling ;):laughing:

Tealady
06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I thought that was reasonable has come back to me saying other childminders have quoted less.

Well let her use them then. Stand your ground. If she genuinely wants you she will pay.

mrs c
07-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Think I would also be standing firm on this one. I would have also charged the same way you have. You are still keeping a place and if you charge less now you could regret this should there be another enquiry.

miffy
07-09-2012, 06:46 AM
has come back to me saying other childminders have quoted less.

I'd tell her to use them then! If a parent tries to haggle the price down before they've even started, they will probably haggle over other things too. I think the deal you've quoted is reasonable so unless you are desperate for the work I wouldn't offer less.

Miffy xx

nikki thomson
07-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Do not be drawn into negotiating fees, politely say when someone says I really like you but joe blogs down the road is cheaper that you think it's lovely that she wants to use you and that you appreciate childcare is expensive but your fees ate non negotiable and she's obviously free to go to someone cheaper if she so wishes but that your not reducing your fees.
Don't do it you will regret it. X

tess1981
07-09-2012, 09:49 AM
I am all for saving money and I understand childcare can be expensive but why do parents feel they can tell us how much they want to pay... do they stand in tesco and say "I know you washing powder is £2.59 but i only want to pay £1.99???? I think not. We set our fees as WE see fit not them (although i am one of the cm that is the cheapest in my area butI still make a profit and would not allow a parent to tell me that they want it lower) rant over:p

Tatjana
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Well let her use them then. Stand your ground. If she genuinely wants you she will pay.

Was thinking the exact same thing.

blue bear
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Wish her well and tell her you have other enquiries.

bunyip
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I negotiate fees individually, cos I've never had 2 families wanting the same thing and I realise they all have different means/circumstances.

BUT, I don't get into horse-trading over what someone else chares in my area. So if a parent told me they really like my setting, but so-and-so charges less, then I'd tell them to make a choice between the quality on offer here or the cheap price somewhere else. I wouldn't change my quote on the basis of someone else's fees. AFAIC, they can b:censored:r off down the road and pay for the other CM to sit her lo in front of the tv, because that's the sort of CM who drags the value of CMing down all over the country.:angry:

In short, if the cheaper CM was offering the same quality as you, then mum wouldn't be haggling - she'd have already booked with the other CM. She basically wants to drink champagne and pay for cheap plonk. :rolleyes:

brightstar
09-09-2012, 10:23 AM
There are so many people out there that don't seem to understand Childminders :panic: I had an enquiry this week for 15 mins each morning and then drop child to free breakfast club. Mum wasn't too happy when I told her there was a set charge for a morning session and I only do 9am school run. Sadly its all about cost for some people, I only do what benefits my mindees and my business now, too many people over the years have taken advantage of my good nature.

karen m
09-09-2012, 01:49 PM
If other minder is so cheap why is she even asking you i think she is bluffing. I have offered tt only and not took a retainer or during holidays my choice as i had a child that did just holidays so balanced out that child no longer comes as he moved out the area, i have learnt a big lesson the hard way.