PDA

View Full Version : christmas hols?

adele1985
06-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Just woundering how much time you all have off over christmas

last year I worked up until christmas eve and was back for 1 child on new years eve

this year im thinking of taking from friday 21st od december nut not ure what date to go back its either wednesday the 2nd or monday the 7th

what do you think ??

lisa1968
06-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I finish on Friday 21st Dec and return to work on Thurs 3rd Jan.Our schools dont go back until the 7th Jan.

Tealady
06-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I have this in my contract

"The Childminder shall not be available on Christmas Eve (24th December) or the three working days that typically fall between Christmas and New Year.
Additionally if the 24th December falls on a Tuesday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 23rd December and should the 1st January fall on a Thursday then The Childminder will be unavailable on the 2nd January."

I have Thursdays off so this year I will be closing the Friday before Christmas too to give me a clear block. My family had booked off the first week back but that got cancelled so I will be back on the 2nd.

JCrakers
06-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm finishing on 21st when school finishes and having 2 weeks off. I've learnt over the 5yrs that no one needs me over the Xmas period and if they ever do it's only dribs and drabs so book two weeks off
Although it also depends on what day Xmas falls as well as to whether I have a full two weeks or not

AgentTink
06-09-2012, 05:43 PM
The only paid holiday I have in my contracts is the period over Christmas were I am shut from the 22nd until the day after the new year's bank holiday which could be either the 2nd or 3rd of January.

I just feel that it is such a hectic time for all of December that I would like some time off without having to worry about losing a weeks worth of pay. None of parents seem to mind.

mrs robbie williams
06-09-2012, 05:47 PM
i usually take the week between xmas and new year - if they want to take extra time its fine but i then charge x

FussyElmo
06-09-2012, 05:59 PM
I finish the day the schools close and go back when they open :)

funemnx
06-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I finish on 21st December and back on 2nd January. I used to play chicken with the parents to see if they would book it off first but always ended up with 1 child who's parents would send because they were paying so just book Christmas with my other holidays now in February for the whole year.

It's lovely knowing I'll have a nice big break with no odd days in between :)

kellib
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm taking the whole of the school holidays off this year, last year I worked the week in between Xmas and New Year and really didn't like it, felt like my son couldn't enjoy his presents without LO's annoying him!

Think the schools finish here on the 20th December then they go back on either the 7th or 8th of January! :thumbsup:

amanda1309
06-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I always take the 2 weeks the schools are off as holiday every christmas

cathtee
06-09-2012, 06:13 PM
err not sure, definately 25,26th and new years day, waiting to see who wants me, already had 4 weeks off and all bank hols will soon start asking who will need me its only 15 weeks away:clapping: must start shopping:D

PixiePetal
06-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I finish on 21st December and back on 2nd January. I used to play chicken with the parents to see if they would book it off first but always ended up with 1 child who's parents would send because they were paying so just book Christmas with my other holidays now in February for the whole year.

It's lovely knowing I'll have a nice big break with no odd days in between :)

just checked the days of the week for Christmas etc and I will be the same as you :thumbsup:

I like to shut the door on the toys and relax :D

BucksCM
06-09-2012, 08:04 PM
A good few years ago I had just one child who would still come in that week inbetween...I don't do it now.
I let the parents know at the first "chat" that I take two weeks during the summer hols and the week(or so) inbetween christmas and new year.
Haven't had any complaints yet.

samb
06-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I will shut from xmas day to new years day. I told the parents in my first newsletter of the year back in Jan 2012. Last week a parent asked if I had decided yet what I was working at xmas and apologised for asking me so far in advance lol! I told her it was ok as I had let her know a week after xmas what I would be working already!

Mouse
06-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm taking the 2 weeks off.

4 of my children are term time only, 2 of the others have parents who are off the same time and the other 2 make alternative arrangements :thumbsup:

mummyof3
06-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I finish on 21st december when my children finish and I am not returning until 7th January :D Much to the parents sheer horror that I actually WANT to take time off and spend it with my family and that I've given them 5mths notice too :rolleyes:

Helcatt
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
The only paid holiday I have in my contracts is the period over Christmas were I am shut from the 22nd until the day after the new year's bank holiday which could be either the 2nd or 3rd of January.

I just feel that it is such a hectic time for all of December that I would like some time off without having to worry about losing a weeks worth of pay. None of parents seem to mind.

I am thinking about doing this, or something similar, at least

I am currently booked to work the 21st and think we had said we would be back to work on the 3rd, as we were going to be away. I might stick with that actually as it gives us one extra day off (we, co-minders anyway, I will be taking about 6 months off after christmas)

HX

Toothfairy
07-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Same here :)

miffy
07-09-2012, 06:48 AM
I intend to have the whole of the school holidays off!

Miffy xx

tess1981
07-09-2012, 09:42 AM
A good few years ago I had just one child who would still come in that week inbetween...I don't do it now.
I let the parents know at the first "chat" that I take two weeks during the summer hols and the week(or so) inbetween christmas and new year.
Haven't had any complaints yet.

same here but at the moment i have term time only children and get half fee on the days they are not with me...:p so i get loads of days he he:laughing:

ziggy
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I plan to close on friday 21st december then re-open wednesday 2nd january. My full time mum is a teacher so sure she will be ok with that.

I dont charge when i'm closed

The Juggler
07-09-2012, 12:57 PM
i don't work over xmas:panic:

stargazer1
07-09-2012, 07:28 PM

That's what I am doing too. Love Christmas with my kiddies. They share the rest of the year with mindees so think its really important that they get that special time of the year as family time. Already planning Christmas activities with mindees for the few weeks they are with me before we finish, I love Christmas sooooo much!! :clapping:

dette
07-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I couldn't work if i wanted too...i have 7 kids and my livingroom is full of prezzies in 7 huge piles it usually takes to newyears eve to find the floor or anywhere to sit.Could only make it safe if i put mindees in a cage in the hall.Not a bad idea mmmm dont think OFSTED would like it though

Jo Jo
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I always take the 2 weeks the schools are off as holiday every christmas

Same here its nice to have a bit of family time especially at christmas :)

winstonian
07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
24th, 25th, 26th and 1st Jan

dusky777
21-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I have learnt the hard way on this one!!
Last 3 years i have woked upto the last working day before christmas, parents took the mickey arriving late when not at work and promising to pick up early?!this year im closing on friday the 21st. I will NEVER work christmas eve again and it will be going in all new contracts from now on.
Im back to work on the 2nd Jan. They have all had plenty of warning!!

eddie
21-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Last 3 years i have woked upto the last working day before christmas, parents took the mickey arriving late when not at work and promising to pick up early?!this year im closing on friday the 21st. I will NEVER work christmas eve again and it will be going in all new contracts from now on.

Don't blame you! I hate it when they are late and not even working - its just taking the mick. I finish on the last day of term and start back on 7th Jan. I need a break.

Bananabrain
21-11-2012, 11:49 AM

I have worked xmas eve in the past. I had one child with severe diarrhoea all over my bathroom and another who's mum got shirty because I dared to ask what time she was picking up.[I knew she was packing 4 hols so not at work]
Never, ever again