PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 9 year old boy

melco
06-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi,

I have a 9 yr old boy after school for 3 hours, he only started yesterday and he refused the food I had for snacks and he asked a few times what he could do.

Everything I offered for snacks or ideas I had for him to do he did not want it or want to do it. It must be hard for him as he comes with his 10yr old sister and I have 2 girls aged 8 & 6. I have him everyday after school and am going to town today so just after some ideas for things for him to do and what food I can give after school. I like to give fruit, harvest bars etc

I do have a football that I brought for him but with the british weather there is not much longer he can probably do that.

Thanks

melco

Bear23
06-09-2012, 07:15 AM
i'd get him to fill out a 'all about me' form, get him to tell you what he likes and what he does else where.

i used to look after two boys and they were both very different, one was happy doing play dough and painting, really got involved and helped me with the younger ones, the other just came in grabbed a book and barely spoke, just happy to chill.

lorraine04
07-09-2012, 05:27 AM
Can they not play board games together/card occasionally?. I have 13 year old, and 3, 10 year old during the holidays. The boys just want to be out with a rugby ball and the girl just wants to play on park with swings. When i take out the card game UNO or cluedo etc.. they all play together nicely.

samsstars
07-09-2012, 05:43 AM
How about Lego, I think the board game idea is good as well. All my 10 year old wants to do after school is play on the wii, listen to his music or get out in the garden on the trampoline/ play football.

Filling out an "all about me" is a great idea, then you'll have a starting point.

Good luck.

melco
07-09-2012, 09:18 AM
I did have an all about me filled in but it just has down his hobbies outside of being at mine and school.

I brought some card games yesterday but he wasn't too interested. I may have to get some board games as well because at the mo he is happy playing outside with the football but think with autumn coming that may change soon

PrincessFiona
08-09-2012, 07:37 AM
....watching this thread and hoping for ideas as I also have a 9 year old boy starting next week and have been racking my brains. :)

lynnfi
08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
making a journal with what he's done, collages etc or on subjects that interest him like Egypt or an animal or any interest (involving internet search, drawings, a bit of writing, printing, poems etc),
building lego kit or any other construction kit such as car, plane or boat (long term project to assemble, glue, paint etc),
mosaic kit,
origamis,
cooking,
painting and drawing (involving a bit of material for older child then), learning to play an instrument if you know of one
stilt walking in the garden,
reading age appropriate books
science experiments such as exploring with a microscope

An online shop to give you more ideas (they are expensive but excellent ideas that you can explore without buying their thaings) myriadonline

lynnfi
08-09-2012, 09:13 AM
I forgot one of the most popular here:

Challenging puzzles

mushpea
08-09-2012, 07:43 PM
I think I would offer him a choice of prehaps two activities and if he turns them down say 'ok' then busy your self with somthing and see what he does, if hes says what can I do tell him you gave him a choice of activities and he turned them down so now he can make his own entertainment. I had to do this with the 6yrold i had as I found she was getting very picky over activities as she had far too much choice. I would also do the same with snack , offer two different things then tell him its one of those or nothing.

lucyD
08-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I have an 8 yr old boy come to me, he has done drawing...i have found pics online of things he likes ie iron man etc & printed them out & he has then copied them & coloured them in, he also made shrinkies with his sister (you draw on them & they shrink & go hard in the oven) he loved that. He also liked the swingball as well as lego & I also got him a kit that you make a pirate ship & paint it etc..he loved that too & was only a few £. Its quite handy that he comes with his sister though as she keeps him entertained & other mindee & my son also keep him entertained but everyone is different. Good luck x

NI MINDER
08-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Its difficult starting to get to know a child at this age. Its maybe easier having them from small and they grow up with you - they are more comfortable and easier to occupy. But getting a 9 year old starting takes a bit of settling in and getting to know each other.