PDA

View Full Version : How to say goodbye??

maluvsya89
05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
i am quitting in 5weeks and 2 days, i said goodbye to my school holidays yesterday but because they are only with me during the holidays i was ok about it..... but i currently look after my siblings who are three on october 12th (twins) its also my last day minding and they will be moving up to essex that evening. i have been caring for them since they were 10months old and saw them twice a week before i gave in and moved back in with the parents the problem now is where they are spending weekends with me due to parents house hunting they are becoming more and more attached to me and cry for me at night and want to sleep with me in bed and follow me every where.. my sister who is more advance then my brother is putting her foot down and saying she is staying with me and my other half. also my mindee child mom told me she keeps asking for me and when she is at home all she does is shout my name and come round looking for me?? these children are getting to attached to me and im feeling really guilty about leaving cm (twins are moving which is out of my control parents asked me ot move with them but its too far away from the life i have built up and also partner has a stable job here) the mom has asked me to settle her lo into the nursery two weeks up to her start date 15th oct and i feel guilty just thinking about leaving her there at nursery..... sorry to ramble on i dont know what im looking for in advice i guess i just need to off load x

lynnfi
06-09-2012, 06:57 PM
It must be hard indeed. But I think you have to let go, and if you do, the children will as well.
I would try a gentle separation, such as not having them as often during weekend perhaps, and may be go to more toddlers groups and outings, park etc for them to become more independent. Encouraging them to explore and separate at least physically from you.
This will help them. But they will survive anyway.

hectors house
07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
It is hard to say goodbye, we all know we shouldn't get attached but we wouldn't be any good at the job if we had no feelings. A few years ago when one child who I looked after from a baby went to school I was devastated, the next year when another one went I handled it better, last year was better still and this year - well we have only said a partial goodbye as I'm picking him from school settling in sessions one day a week for the next couple of weeks.

I have tried to keep in touch with most of the children as they all live locally - but not so easy for you if they are moving away - you can always e-mail, skype and visit occasionally.

I hope you and your mindees spend a nice few weeks together, maybe go out on a day trip, take some nice photos and put in a memory book.