PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I have had the worst day ever!!

melco
05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi,

I had a lo who is 14months today, he starts with me properly tomorrow but today had a 2 hour settling in session.

I have 2 children of my own aged 6 & 8 and I also have after school children who also started today aged 9 & 10.

Basically when we got back from the school run all of us were in the dining room and it was 5 mins from the 14month old being picked up and he bent down and hit his face on a plastic house, I picked him up and had a look and there was a little blood on his tongue but nowhere else so think he may have bit his tongue. I filled out an accident report and when Mum arrived I was my normal happy and cheerful self and explained what he had done but she was looked very shocked and then I received 20 questions about how it happened, where I was etc etc. I think she thought I had left him alone!!

I brought her into the room where we were to show her exactly what happened and explained that we were all with him and he was fine 2 minutes later. Tomorrow when he comes he will be staying for dinner as well as the 2 after schoolies and she then started questioning how I will look after when I prepare dinner.

I told her that I will be preparing dinner during the day and that if I need to I will put him in the highchair with some toys, she told me that he would not like this so good luck. I don't know what else she expects me to do as I can have him walking round the kitchen! I also think she has decided 2 extra children will mean I can't cope but as they are older having my 2 or having all 4 will not make a difference to how I will be able to look after her lo.

Also she then asked whether I had given him some milk, she only told me to give it to him if he was tired, I did not give him any as he was happy and I did not see the need. She said that I need to give him some at 4.30pm otherwise he would not have a drink but this was the time he was going and I had given him some water.

Anyway basically I thought everything was fine and I wasn't worried about telling her about the accident as I even met her at the park the other day and he fell over twice and hit his head quite hard against a pole!! So he does have accidents.

But now I just feel sick and deflated like I am in the wrong even though I know that I could not have prevented him hurting himself. Also she went home with my accident report!! So will have to ask for it back. Great!!

Anyone else had days like today? I am now just worried about him starting tomorrow as we were all getting on so well. I don't want it to be ruined.

Thanks for reading

melco

gegele
05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
well you got it out of the way :laughing: no more accident for a while now :D

it's the begining mum is concerne as she doesn't really know you yet. she'll relax no worries.
:thumbsup:

ziggy
05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
oh poor you, big big hugs

my 2yr old mindee fell twice at toddlers today, then once in garden, then walked into the door

toddlers do have accidents, nothing more you could have done

I would have given mum same answer with regard to preparing meal. What does she want you to do?

melco
05-09-2012, 06:46 PM
When she signed contracts I did not have any after schoolies. Now that I do I think she is worried that I will not be able to look after him properly and then him having the accident on the first day I have all the kids didn't look good.

I don't know what she expects as 4 children after school or just my children would not make any difference on the care I give her child.

Smiley
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Don't beat yourself up about it, we all have days like this.
Parents can find it difficult coming to terms with someone else having to deal with their child when they have a bump or fall and can give us a difficult time over it. Try not to take it to heart, she is maybe struggling with feelings of guilt of going back to work, it's early days and still in settling in phase. Don't doubt your abilities you'll be fine

singingcactus
05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
She will work through it, I'd guess she is just very nervous. She'll see tomorow (fingers crossed) that he won't have accidents every day. She knows that he will have them sometimes, so try not to worry too much, she was probably just feeling a bit guilty that she hadn't been there to snuggle him better. I know I feel guilty if my son gets hurt at school and I am not there. She will cope, it will be fine, it just takes a bit of time.

~Grasshopper~
05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
oh hun, she is prob just worried about leaving him.

i had a new starter today aged 5. i left the children sat outside whilst i answered the door to another parent, i was gone 30 seconds. new 5 year old tried to pick up my kitten (had been told not to pick her up) and had a big scratch on her arm. she wasnt bothered but i am mortified, to make matters worse dad came early and i hadnt done a form or even remembered to tell him :eek:. god i hope the scratch had vanished and she forgot:panic:.

i will speak to mum tomorrow.

accidents happen with kids, i would put a 14mth old in the highchair whilst i did dinner. some spoons and stuff to bang normally keeps them happy.

x

JCrakers
05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Im sure everything with smooth out when you all get to know each other better.

Don't feel bad about it, toddlers do hurt themselves and it couldn't have been prevented.
Relax tonight and get your energy ready for tomorrow :D

Maza
05-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Sometimes innocent comments from parents send our imaginations and nerves into overdrive. I do sympathise with mum but at the same time she did choose a childminder and not a nanny, so other children will always be around. I put my mindee in a high chair too whilst I prepare meals and he is fine. x

Boris
05-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Don't beat yourself up, you're going over it in your head but you couldn't have done anything to stop it. It was an accident, probably the first of many at your house! Relax, it will be fine! Easy for me to say, I get myself in a state trying to analyse parents (she didn't come in today, she must be annoyed with me etc etc)!

winstonian
05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
My first mindee fell over in our garden on her first day and bashed her head into the wall. She had a huge egg on her forehead. I seriously could have cried! She was fine and so was mum and it got it out the way. Good luck for tomorrow
x

The Juggler
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
you know you can cope. think - she is an anxious mum. what you've got to do is let the comments wash over you and prove to her that you can do it. Have faith in yourself and soon she'll be saying 'don't know how you do it' :):thumbsup:

melco
06-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone!!

I will let you know how today goes

miffy
06-09-2012, 06:39 AM
When she signed contracts I did not have any after schoolies. Now that I do I think she is worried that I will not be able to look after him properly and then him having the accident on the first day I have all the kids didn't look good.

I don't know what she expects as 4 children after school or just my children would not make any difference on the care I give her child.

She just sounds a bit anxious so try not to let her comments bother you.

Hope things go OK today

Miffy xx

Bear23
06-09-2012, 06:59 AM
I had this with a one year old, first day smashed his head and the bump just kept growing and growing:eek:, was awful, looked really bad. Mum was frantic, but he's still here two years on

Hope today goes ok xx