PDA

View Full Version : Nap time

Topkad84
05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Hello,

I have recently started minding a littltle girl aged 21 months. Everything is going well and she has settled in brilliantly, except for her nap.
Her mum says she goes down about one, But ! To get her to sleep her mum drives around with her in the car till she falls a sleep.
This isn't practice for me, so have try to put her in a pram and walk around and she eventually goes off after a bit of a fight. This is ok for now but how will I cope when it's raining outside I can't take my other mndee and daughter out in the rain.
I have try to put her in the travel cot but she just screams and I know that if this was my daughter I would want her to get upset.

What would you do ?
I have her three days a aweek.
K xx

littlecheeks
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Hello,

I have recently started minding a littltle girl aged 21 months. Everything is going well and she has settled in brilliantly, except for her nap.
Her mum says she goes down about one, But ! To get her to sleep her mum drives around with her in the car till she falls a sleep.
This isn't practice for me, so have try to put her in a pram and walk around and she eventually goes off after a bit of a fight. This is ok for now but how will I cope when it's raining outside I can't take my other mndee and daughter out in the rain.
I have try to put her in the travel cot but she just screams and I know that if this was my daughter I would want her to get upset.

What would you do ?
K xx

it sounds like lo hasnt learned to settle herself. personally i have always found it best to lay them in a quiet room to go to sleep. its sounds like a bigger issues that needs to be tackled by the parents too, otherwise you will be fighting a losing battle. she basically needs to learn to go to sleep by herself without being pushed in a pram or car. i would talk to parents and see if you can both do the same thing for her to settle?

cathtee
05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a lo 18m and I just say time for bed, she picks up the doll that I gave her to sleep with when she started with me and her dummy and she settles and goes off in a few minutes, but at home its a totally different game, they have to lay with her till she's gone off and then put her in her cot. Can't understand why it works for me to put her down but not for home:rolleyes:

Mollymop
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I had a child like this who wouldn't settle well without being pushed around in a buggy - I just laid her down in a quiet room and let her cry, she would cry for about 10 mins and then she would go off to sleep. After a few weeks the crying would reduce to only a few minutes until she settled herself.
Seems horrible leaving them to cry but sometimes it's the only way.

blue bear
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
My lo who was rocked off to sleep by parents went into buggy and I walked her round the garden to begin with, then I rocked her then I just popped her in and off she went to sleep, took time but weened her to it slowly. Now she's 2 she doesn't have a day time sleep, since they soon outgrow day time sleeps I see no harm in using the buggy.

clareelizabeth1
05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a little one whose parents get no sleep as he is a nightmaire. But right from the start with me has gone off for a nap with relative ease. Although he does like it best when he can just fall asleep on the sofa and he will do this straight after lunch even if other children are playing.

gegele
05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
put her in cot with cuddly dummy whatever she wants, and leave her to it. go back after a few minute and lay her back down without talking, then again after a longer time... she'll get it.

my first lo only ever slept in her own cot in her bedroom :eek:

she learned:D then slept HOURS!!!

SYLVIA
05-09-2012, 08:24 PM
it sounds like lo hasnt learned to settle herself. personally i have always found it best to lay them in a quiet room to go to sleep. its sounds like a bigger issues that needs to be tackled by the parents too, otherwise you will be fighting a losing battle. she basically needs to learn to go to sleep by herself without being pushed in a pram or car. i would talk to parents and see if you can both do the same thing for her to settle?

I have taken on an 11mths LO, 1st day today, who is cuddled or pushed to and fro in a buggy to go to sleep. Parent told me tonight that the HV has said that his sleep problems at night are due to this and he is now to be put in a cot and left to fall asleep. Good news for me but not looking forward to starting this on Monday. It is best though as they are not disturbed by the others

miffy
06-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Hello,

What would you do ?
K xx

If you can't get her to sleep in the cot then I would use the pushchair but not push her around - just put it in a quiet room and leave. I think children sleep much better in a cot but it's not always possible.

Miffy xx

Topkad84
06-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Thank you all for your replies, Day 3 I pushed her in the pram for 10 mins the carried her to the cot. I'm going to gradually do it less and less so she can fall to sleep on here own in the cot.

She seemed more settled going down today so it just trial and error.
Thanks Alll
K x