PDA

View Full Version : Childminding with a friend?

Zozza
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
My friend and I have decided to child mind together, we have only just looked into it so have a long way to go yet. We will be doing it from my house, my question is does anyone else work with a partner and has it worked for you?

LauraS
05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm sure there was someone on here recently who went through the process with a friend and the friend pulled out a couple of days before the inspection. I would be worried about things like agreeing/balancing holidays, sharing enquiries/children/vacancies/expenses/responsibilities. I would want to look thoroughly into co-minding and the tax/ofsted implications - not sure if there are any. I would want to agree a way of working, does your friend have a similar outlook and ethos to you? I would worry about who 'owned' the business - if it doesn't work and she decides to go her own way, who will own the business/business name (since business is largely word of mouth, could be valuable)/various resources etc.

I would also look very carefully into how many children you will be able to mind as a pair - having two minders as I understand it does not necessarily mean twice the number of children, if you don't have the floor space/equipment. If you can only mind an extra child as a pair, does that mean you have the lions share of the children since it's your house and she has just one, or will you share. If so, will either of you resent it if money gets tough?

I have seen it done but usually the childminders are a couple rather than mates, which (I guess) would simplify things as there would generally be one common financial goal/gain.

Personally working with a friend sounds like my worst nightmare, no matter how close the friend! :o

Zozza
05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, certainly a lot to think about :eek:. We have worked together as a pair for over 4 years doing emergency call out for the elderly. The main reason I asked her was that we work really well together and didnt think it would be so daunting as going on my own.

Boris
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
If I were you I would register on your own, get your friend to register at her house and then just meet up in the day (every day if you want!). I had a bad experience working with a friend who I had worked with in a nursery before. You can still help eachother write policies etc. You will both be able to claim the tax allowances, if either of you are feeling poorly you don't have to make the effort to go out to the other persons house and you can use eachother as back up. Just my opinion though hun! Hope it works out xx

chriss
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I am going to be childminding with a friend from my home. How do we divide expenses such as gas/electric, or do I just claim it on my tax expenses as its from my house ? Also is there anything else to consider regarding the business side of things ? Thanks in advance :)