PDA

View Full Version : Nappy disposal.

helendee
05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, good morning to you all.

Just wondering if any of you use a nappy collection service and if you do could you tell me how much it costs you please.

We only have fortnightly collections here in Bristol and have all been issued with really small bins now so there is no room for nappies!!

Thanks. x:eek:

rickysmiths
05-09-2012, 11:19 AM
We have the same here. Our council will collect nappies every week, but you have to pay for it. Of course if you are doing it for your business you can put the cost through your books as an expense.

I would ring your Council.

hectors house
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
You could do the same as some Nurseries do and send home dirty nappies - this is because Nurseries would have to pay for "clinical waste" disposal. My grandad when he was in a residential home used to wear a "pad" as occasionally would have a wee accident - my mum lived locally and used to collect pads as the home had a set charge of something like £15 per resident per week!

We only have fortnightly bin collections too and when I asked council for an extra bin because of all disposable nappies they tried to say I would have to pay business rate - so have had to learn manage, but would consider sending nappies home if it became an issue.

JulieA
05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I was dreading when they bought in the smaller bin collection once a fortnight however, I seem to manage ok and if I do have an odd bag over the night before collection, one of my elderly neighbours will pop it in their bin for me.

I have 3 eyfs children in every day all in nappies, but I change them when we are out and about as much as I can so I can make use of the nappy disposal system there.

helendee
06-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys for all the help.

I have been taking them to the park over the road and dumping them in the bins there but my husband says this is illegal so I have stopped doing it now. What a shame!

rickysmiths
06-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Yuck I have to agree with him though it prob isn't illegal. Better to keep them in a small bin with a bin bag in and take them to the local dump at the weekend.

To be honest I can't see the problem. We are a family of 4 adults and I have had 4 under 5 5 days a week for 50 hours each a week all in nappies and I have a very small general rubbish bin because we have to recycle and I have never run out of bin space. As a family and for cm I fill 1 very small flip top bin a week, plus the nappies and my green bin is rarely more than half full every 2 weeks. On the other hand the recycling bins are overflowing!

miffy
06-09-2012, 01:30 PM
With two new starters this week both in nappies, I've really noticed how quickly the bin is filling up. Fortunately our bins are a reasonable size. I'd see if you have an elderly neighbour who wouldn't mind if you put some rubbish in their bin.

Miffy xx