PDA

View Full Version : Sarcastic dropped jaw moment!

LittleLegsCM
05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
So I've been caring for 2 brothers since April. The older brother who I just before & after school has quite bad ADHD with aspergus (sp?) tendencies. Since basically day 1 I've been concerned with the younger brother who is 2.5. He doesn't talk AT ALL, refuses eye contact with anyone, is physically violent towards everyone for absolutely no reason (its like a switch flickers) and will not join in with anything. I have been banging my head against a brick wall suggesting mum sees someone, GP/HV or similar but everytime it was ignored.

Yesterday the boys returned after the holidays, talking to mum she just happened to mention 2.5yo had his 2yr check during the 6 weeks. I asked how it went and after a bit of dithering she finally announced the HV was concerned with his development and has referred him to a speech therapist AND a special needs unit! My response? :eek: wow! Really?! You would've never had guessed that! :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed he now gets the help he needs!!

smurfette
05-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Phew!!! Love the way they listen to us. We only have the little ones all day every day! Glad he is getting help anyhow hope it makes your life easier

Helen Dempster
05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I had a parent like that - her son was showing signs of SOMETHING in his behaviour/development and time and again I would bring his mum in and try to get her to open her eyes and see that something wasn't quite right. She ignored me, was very blinkered, said he's fine at home blah blah blah. Anyway, I saw her a few weeks ago and she said he's been diagnosed with Autism! I didn't act quite as shocked as you though.... lol :laughing:

bunyip
06-09-2012, 10:15 AM
They should think themselves lucky they got it diagnosed before starting school.

I spoke with a few mums in the playground. They've variously been told by the school:-

There's no such thing as autism.
There's no such thing as dyslexia.
We'd like to help your lo out with a SENCO, but we already have enough children placed under SENCO at this school and it's beginning to look bad.

Un - be - lievable :eek:

I suggested they all contact the LEA for advice.