PDA

View Full Version : Spitting

crazybones
16-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Mum has just dropped off 2 1/2 yr old mindee and says he has been spitting at things at the weekend and wanted to know if he had picked it up from here! I havent any experience of any of mine (own or mindees) doing this and wondered if anyone had any advice. Bearing in mind he is an immature 2 1/2 yr old but does understand NO.

Pipsqueak
16-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I think its one of those things best left ignored as much as possilbe - no reaction (to a degree). Brief explanations of thats not nice.

BUT just check he hasn't got a sore throat coming on or a taste in his mouth, my eldest spat when he had a bout of tonsillitus coming on - because of the foul taste in his mouth. (I trained him to spit into a tissue thank goodness)

Don't forget its something they see other people do out in the street, when you rinse your mouth after brushing, and our wonderul football players!!:rolleyes:

sarah707
16-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a 3 year old who spits occasionally for attention, usually in front of mum or at the table.

I tell him we can do better things with our mouths ... but if he does it at the table, I give him 3 chances, then I take him down and he doesn't get any more of the meal. It's worked and he's not done it for quite a while.

Having said that, he came in this morning spitting... thank goodness for playgroup! :D

angeldelight
16-06-2008, 11:40 AM
It is a horrible habit that some children seem to enjoy for some reason

A lot of the time it is done for attention so I like Pip would ignore it when I can and distract them at other times
I would also explain it is not really acceptable - imagine them doing that indoors - yuk

Hope it was a one off at the weekend with parents Annie and that he does not do it for you

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Tatia
16-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I love how mindees come back after weekends or holidays with bad habits but parents assume it was picked up in our setting! Had that with a kid who was cursing all the time. Silly!

angeldelight
16-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah Tatia they ask that because " Their little darlings never do anything naughty at home " !

It is an annoying question I agree

Angel xx

foxy lady
16-06-2008, 12:44 PM
hi yes i think i wouls just take no notice at the moment
if it carries on i would make the child clean it up if each time the child is made to go and get a tissue and clean it up they shouls soon get board :eek:
its relly horrible you just have to be careful that any other mindees dont start doing it
oh well good luch hope it stops soon

crazybones
16-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Well so far so good. He hasnt done it here. Apparently he did it in the mums face and to the cat.

avril
16-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Well so far so good. He hasnt done it here. Apparently he did it in the mums face and to the cat.

OMG :eek: and his Mum thought this was from your home,what a cheek :angry:
Could have been picked up from tv or seeing someone in the street. I think some parents live in a perfect little bubble were nothing ever happens :rolleyes:

angeldelight
16-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe next time he does something you could ask if he does it at home ??

Glad he has been ok for you - obviously knows how to behave with you then

Angel xx

mrsb
16-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Footballers have a lot to answer for, they are forever spitting in games:angry:

Definately agree with the others, totally ignore it, hopefully it was a one off and won't happen again anyway ;)

breezy
16-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Footballers have a lot to answer for, they are forever spitting in games:angry:

My son spat after seeing footballers do it on tv, said if they could do it so could he, so I told him he'd better not watch it again! Mind you he only ever spat when playing football , not at anyone:panic: