PDA

View Full Version : Beakers/Cups when to use

clorogue
04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Is there are website that a parent can go to giving the latest information about beakers and moving onto cups with no lids. I would like to be able to forward the information to parent to help her move forward- I find the advice varies on different websites and I just wondered whether there was any particular one you go by.

Many thanks

miffy
04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
No, sorry it's not something I've ever looked up n a website. I've usually just tried the child with a cup when I think they might be ready and see how we've gone from there. Would the health visitor have any info?

Miffy xx

loocyloo
04-09-2012, 09:44 PM
i have an 18mth mindee and last week tried her with an open cup and she was fantastic! going to carry on with open cups!

i usually try them with open cups around 18mth-2yrs. (usually after watching them with the toy tea set to see how they are going!)

Pipsqueak
05-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Like LoocyLoo I offer lidded cups around 1yr and open cups 18mo-2yrs. My 2yr old has been using an open cup for around6 months now.
I started off with one of the play t-cups!!!

What you could do is offer at your house and take photo's of the child using it and show to parent as in a WOW moment - look how clever I am ..... type of thing!

hectors house
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Depends where children are while drinking whether they have a lidded beaker or open cup.

At table, try them with open cup from 18 months

Down from table (on carpet) still have lidded beaker up to 2 and a half, encourage older children to leave unfinished drinks on table where they can reach but hopefully younger toddlers can't!

Just try an open cup up to table or out in garden and pass on the outcome to the parent.

I still use beakers without lids for children up to school age as they tip over less than a plastic glass.

JCrakers
05-09-2012, 08:23 AM
No, its basically down to each child, who you think can hold a cup without a lid. :D

Some children are more steady and have more hand/eye co-ord than others. 1 2yr old struggle where as another would be fine. :D