PDA

View Full Version : do we need written/signed contracts

ziggy
04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Am i correct in thinking we have to have signed/written contracts before we can look after a family?

My friend is having problems getting parent to sign new contract as her job is under threat of change.

I thought we had to have contracts in place, am i wrong?

Pipsqueak
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Nope you don't HAVE to have written contracts however its advisable.

A contract can be made verbally - however it could be very hard to prove/disaprove on either party (unless there were very vigilant witnesses!)

ziggy
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
thanks for that

NICMA said the same to friend.

Personally i wouldnt take on a family without a signed/written contract, are there many who would???

Bear23
04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
thanks for that

NICMA said the same to friend.

Personally i wouldnt take on a family without a signed/written contract, are there many who would???

me :blush:

I don't see the point of them to be honest.

Pipsqueak
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
me :blush:

I don't see the point of them to be honest.

genuine gasp!! lol
so do you use written contracts then? how would you resolve and issue with a verbal contract?

Bear23
04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
genuine gasp!! lol
so do you use written contracts then? how would you resolve and issue with a verbal contract?

lol,

i used to use them but stopped

I tell them the fees, they pay in advance, end of really

sarah707
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
You cannot get any support from your insurance company in the event of a problem unless you have a written contract.

You might also be at risk of invalidating your insurance if you don't have a contract in place - you should check with your insurer first!!

Bear you are naughty! :laughing: :D

The Juggler
04-09-2012, 04:46 PM
i wouldn't work without one. its the sick pay/absence fees, etc, etc, whcih are covered too. A parent could just say they weren't told.

Bear you are a braver woman than me:p

marnieb
04-09-2012, 05:29 PM
i wouldn't work without one. its the sick pay/absence fees, etc, etc, whcih are covered too. A parent could just say they weren't told.

Bear you are a braver woman than me:p

I have to agree with Juggler - as smoohtly as things might run, in my experience it can take one tiny thing for a parent to be unhappy over nothing, I'd feel so vulnerable without my contracts!!!!

ziggy
04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
thanks sarah, i had a feeling that there could be a problem with insurance, think i read that on here some time ago.

I using MM contracts now and it covers most things, not just financial side of things. I'm just a worrier and wouldnt feel happy taking on family without signed contract. Although having said that dont know if it makes that much difference were something to go wrong.

samb
04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I even do contracts for siblings that I have very occasionally - I just wouldn't feel "safe" without one

Bridey
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I can see Bears point. No money = no child care! Simples!

However I wouldn't like work without one myself. I especially wouldn't have a new family calling the shots like that.

Bear23
04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
My thoughts were, if a parent wasn't happy here i wouldn't make them stay for four weeeks. I also don't think i would chase them through the courts for a little bit of cash. i have my sickness policy etc and they all sign for them, and all thats covered.

I am still insure ok but would obviously not be able to chase payments with them.

I get paid in advance and if its not there in a few days, theres no childcare.

I used to use contracts, but then i didn't see the point.

all the parents read my policies, do the paperwork and so far all ok, it might bite me in the bum one day but so far no issues. if a weekly payer leaves owing 70 pounds or so i simply couldn't imagine chasing them. Ofsted not bothered about contracts, so i just thought why bother.

I'm not against contracts, i just thought why bother thats it really.

ziggy
05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
i do see your point and although i will continue to use contracts i often wonder how 'useful' they would be if a problem did occur.

As for my friend's problem i think parent is taking advantage and i have advised her not to continue care. The parent pays in arrears and is refusing to pay holiday pay owed. BUT work is short here and i guess the parent is aware of this, sad situation.

ziggy
05-09-2012, 06:53 AM
oh and another point, i always thought using contracts made my job seem more professional, as many people class me as a 'babysitter' doing this for the fun of it.

Helen Dempster
05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I didn't know that you don't HAVE to have a contract. I, personally couldn't/wouldn't work without one. Not only do they look professional, but like the others have said, how would you resolve any problems when things are done verbally? I'm sticking with my contracts I'm afraid.

primula
05-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I am naughty too! i have yet to get together with parent to do a contract, have had mindee for about 6 months:blush: brillant parents, always pay a month in advance!! i have childminder friend who has been chasing fees for months and months, she had contracts, ncma werent to helpful either..

hectors house
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I have always done contracts - however seem to have not got round to doing one for the sibling brother of one of mindees, have looked after him since Dec last year - I keep meaning to and even mentioned it to his mum this week, I would hope I would be covered by "custom and practise" - but doing his contract is some where on my "to do" list!

miffy
06-09-2012, 05:37 AM
i do see your point and although i will continue to use contracts i often wonder how 'useful' they would be if a problem did occur.

As for my friend's problem i think parent is taking advantage and i have advised her not to continue care. The parent pays in arrears and is refusing to pay holiday pay owed. BUT work is short here and i guess the parent is aware of this, sad situation.

Having a contract does not mean you will get paid even if you pursue a case through the courts and get a judgement, it still doesn't mean you'll get the cash owing so I can see Bears point.

But for your friend I'd advise her to get paid in advance not arrears and no pay means no childcare. I think this parent is taking advantage of her.

Miffy xx

Bear23
06-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi guys,
just to say i'm not saying don't do contracts, i probably should use them too.

its just worked out ok for me not to, but as Sarah said it could backfire.

I do sit down with parents at begining to do permissions, policies etc, and discuss sickness time off etc.

Bear23
06-09-2012, 06:57 AM
[QUOTE=Bear23;1153820]Hi guys,
just to say i'm not saying don't do contracts, i probably should use them too.

its just worked out ok for me not to, but as Sarah said it could backfire.

I do sit down with parents at begining to do permissions, policies etc, and discuss sickness time off etc.

As miffy said a contract doesn't actually mean your gonna get paid anyway and as i always take a deposit, if they leave without paying i still get paid.

everyone knows i don't work bhols and if they need me urgently they can always ask x

Jods
06-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I do have contracts, but only a very simple one which I knocked up - so I know that NCMA wont cover it legally - as like Bear I charge in advance - no money no care and its 4 weeks notice either way, I dont charge retainers or deposits, you either send your child, or I will fill the space with someone else (which also being honest I have had no (touch wood) lack of enqiries, and am turning people away all the time) x

I do have a casual schoolie, but I can do this as my two full timers are enough to live off, so the casual is nice extra pocket money - he is on a very loose contract, and mum understands if I cant do it then I cant, but I have never not been able so far x

ziggy
06-09-2012, 09:56 AM
ah some good news

friend has been dropping off my schoolie this week (obviously with mummy's permission) and the mummy she's having problems with saw her collecting my schoolie. Presuming friend has taken on this child the mummy was bit worried.

SO, today mummy rang my friend, apologised for her behaviour, agreed to sign contract and promised to stop messing her about. RESULT:clapping:

As i said to my friend, sometimes no matter how much we need the money, we have to be firm with certain parents. I'm just thankful i've never had a problem with any of mine (yet lol)

JCrakers
06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I only do them because its the 'thing to do' :D

All my parents pay in advance and they pay a deposit so if they left they would lose it. If they don't pay then I don't have their children so I cant see myself being out of pocket. If someone decided to leave half way through a month then they would have paid a month ahead anyway so it would be their loss financially not mine.
But I do have contracts, just in case :D

I am in a very,very lucky position to have a dh that earns quite a bit so my wages don't have to pay bills. My wages are for days out/kids clubs/holidays/new kitchen/etc. So as it goes I can be a bit laxer with the contracts if I wanted to be. Financially I don't have to work but I cant think of anything worse than sitting around the house all day :blush:
If I had to rely on my wages to pay the mortgage I would definitely make sure they were in place :D

Mouse
06-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I've always done contracts and was grateful recently when several parents were contacted by tax credits asking for copies of them. I do think parents who claim benefits should have a contract as they are sometimes asked for it.