PDA

View Full Version : Fire Practise

Buttonsjan
03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi, I've only just started and think I understand the basics of teaching fire safety and carrying out practises, but the LO I have is only 16mnths. With older ones I'd be doing that firefly book ... not sure she's got the attention span for that!

What do you do with the little ones??
Thanks

sarah707
03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I do a monthly fire practice - the little ones just come outside with us and are around when we are chatting about the dangers of fire, how we managed the practice etc.

When they get older they join in and we provide more focussed activities for all the children during local fire safety week.

hth :D

Buttonsjan
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks Sarah, so if I just do, and talk more when she's older, that should be ok??

sarah707
03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks Sarah, so if I just do, and talk more when she's older, that should be ok??

I would say so yes! At the moment it's more about not being frightened of the alarm and being chilled enough to go outside without screeching... the rest will come later :D

miffy
03-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I would say so yes! At the moment it's more about not being frightened of the alarm and being chilled enough to go outside without screeching... the rest will come later :D

That's very true - I used to look after a child who was terrified if they heard the alarm or I mentioned fire - they assumed the house was burning down so much better to get used to it early on.

Fire drills are also about making sure you can get everyone out safely too.

Miffy xx

lynncjt
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I was just showing this CBeebies clip to 20month old mindee this morning!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbeebies/episode/b01dy4r3/Woolly_and_Tig_Fire_Alarm/

Talks about not being scared of the noise

Lynn