PDA

View Full Version : Minding/ Pregnant/ maternity

LittleLegsCM
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Morning all,

I really need some advice, if anyone is able to give it.

We had quite a shock on Friday when a sample I had taken in to my surgery came back with a completely different result to what I was expecting- I'm apparently pregnant! It was a big shock as I have depo injection so it was the last thing I was expecting to hear. They've now taken bloods to 100% confirm but as you can probably imagine I have a lot of worries and questions going round my head!

I've only been set up and minding since Feb. I have a 23 month old, a 2.5year old and my own son who is 2 next month (as well as after schoolies) - would I have to give one of the mums notice and lose a lump of my income?

Anyone who has been pg while minding: did you really struggle to cope? How far along did you work too? How long did you take off? And then there's after, how did you cope with a newborn, your own toddler and mindees??

And the main question: do I risk completely losing all my
Mindees due to parents being unhappy with the situation??

The only way we could do this without it completely breaking us financially is to take the bare minimum time off but then I'm absolutely terrified I won't cope :( please, if any can give me any advice, help, comfort that everything won't go to pot I would really appreciate it x

stargazer1
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
oh bless you! I don't have any answers I'm afraid, but just wanted to say what a lovely (if slightly panicking!) surprise. Hope you are feeling ok, and the world won't fall apart as a result of this, so don't panic yourself too much. Hope someone comes along soon to answer your queries xxxxx

Tazmin68
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi
With my youngest one of my mindees gave notice about 2 months before I was due. I took 6 weeks off as son was a section and did not want to risk tearing by picking up younger ones. I had the after schools back at 3 weeks well I was at school anyway to pick up big brother.
My other pre school ie 2 yr minded nan came and stayed to help parents out while I had mat leave. Because I paid ni I claimed maternity allowance. I had youngest 7 weeks early went into labour on the Sunday and hubby had to ring parents for me to let them know I couldn't have children on the Monday.
I stopped going to minding or stay and play groups until he was 4 months old and I was ready to attend normal groups. With regards to number I would have thought that you would need to risk assess but you have some time yet and children may leave in the meantime like one of mine did. It is hard but you go with it.
The 2 and half year old will have turned 3 years and may be with you part time unless you can provide 15 hours free entitlement which will free up a little time. As I said I just went with the flow.

lynnfi
03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
You do need to relax! Everything should be fine!

I was pregnant when childminding and all went really well. I stopped work 15 days before due date, although everybody's different and should listen to their body... Sickness though can be there and make it impossible to continue childminding if it is severe.
You could also cut down on numbers gradually.

Then I took some 6 months with maternity leave, but I would have coped minding before that, just a choice. I think ideally one should have at least 3 months with baby before beginning again, but again people are different.

As to parents, they were happy for me really. And anyway it is your life, not theirs. I have always waited til 5th/6th month to tell them, as I consider it as personnal.

I was happy to begin again after 6 months and began slowly with only 1 full timer under 5, then 2, no schoolies.

Hope this helps :)

lynnfi
03-09-2012, 02:22 PM
P.S. Congratulations! :):):)

LauraS
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
No words of wisdom, but :clapping:congratulations!:clapping:

~Grasshopper~
03-09-2012, 03:15 PM
hey congrats hun.

i am ttc and have my own 2 1/2 year old and 5 yr old.

i will have to have a section at 36 weeks due to previous problems but i intend working up to then and then taking as little time off as i can - BUT i have just lost a toddler and now only have schoolies and a morning toddler so i wont be mad busy. im hoping i will be allowed to return after 2 weeks as i heal very well from my csections (will be my 4th) and i will have dp around to help and my mum but i cant afford to loose anyone.

just try to relax and i think you cold keep all your present children because it is continuity of care as per new rules for variations.

x