PDA

View Full Version : Learning Goals

melco
03-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I was at a party with friends yesterday and one of my friends is a nursery manager and the other a primary school teacher and we were talking about the new EYFS. They started talking about learning goals and how there were 64 and now there are 17 etc I might sound stupid but I was not sure what they were on about.

I have asked the primary school teacher before about something I did with a child and I wanted to know what area of development this would appear under and she started saying things like KUW 7 - 5 blah blah blah and again I did not know what she was on about!! :eek:

Am I missing something? When a child does something with me I just put the picture or write what they did in the area of Learning. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

melco

VeggieSausage
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
There is the 7 areas of areas of learning such as PSED, Understand The World, Pysical development etc and then under each of those heading are sub categories so for Physical Development there is Health & Self Care and Moving & Handling - those sub categories are numbered.....

melco
03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Oh thats fine, I thought they knew something else that I didn't. Thanks!

moggy
03-09-2012, 02:33 PM
The Early Learning Goals are the goals at the end of each area in the Dev Matters- in the 40-60+ section for each area (ie there is a ELG at the end of Comm & Lang: Understanding). They are what the school's reception year (usually) are aiming for and need to report on in the EYFS Profile at the end of the EYFS, so 5 years old. There were 60 odd of them and now there are 17 in the revised EYFS (although the 17 contain a lot of sentences!).

melco
03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks!

I think they have been doing it such a long time they were able to talk in numbers and I was just like :eek: but now I understand what they were talking about I feel better.

sarah707
03-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Childminders are not normally responsible for monitoring children against the Early Learning Goals - unless you deliver funding.

Plus we no longer have to offer the full EYFS to wrap around school children.

So don't worry about them! :D