PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your under ones?

tash 1
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi I have a 8 month old baby girl starting next week and was wondering If you can give me some ideas for meals and snacks? she will be coming for breakfast and lunch and afternoon snack.
Thanks Tashx:)

cathtee
02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi Tash, I usually get mom to provide lunch if they have jar food until they eat home cooked food. Breakfast could be ready brek or weetabix(if you can stand the nappies afterwards) afternoon snack could be rice cakes, fruit or rusks. I would ask mom what she gives lo and follow her menu.:)

Tealady
02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Alot of Childminders ask parents to provide food for under ones due to getting textures right, plus the worry of child reacting to new food. Would this be an option for you.

However if they have already signed up to a food included contract you could ask Mum to perhaps provide food for the first week or two, just so as you can see what consistancy she has (but be prepared for Mum to say no as she will be expecting you to provide), also maybe ask for a list of food she has tried to help you plan in future.

If she is Baby Led Weaned, this makes it easier. Give Mum a copy of your menu to check if there are any typical reactive food on it that LO hasn't tried yet, then she just eats the same as everybody else.

melco
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I am the same. I ask all parents to provide food until they turn one as I think its easier that way!!

tash 1
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Tash, I usually get mom to provide lunch if they have jar food until they eat home cooked food. Breakfast could be ready brek or weetabix(if you can stand the nappies afterwards) afternoon snack could be rice cakes, fruit or rusks. I would ask mom what she gives lo and follow her menu.:)
Hi was wondering about cereal option but didn't fancy mixing mums breast milk with the weetabix etc lol can you use water instead ?
Tashx:laughing:

Bridey
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm just about to start with a 9 month old baby and have asked mum to provide food. I won't offer to do it myself until the child is able to eat cut up rather than puree/mashed food.

I wouldn't have a problem mixing breast milk into cereal - done that one before!

tash 1
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Alot of Childminders ask parents to provide food for under ones due to getting textures right, plus the worry of child reacting to new food. Would this be an option for you.

However if they have already signed up to a food included contract you could ask Mum to perhaps provide food for the first week or two, just so as you can see what consistancy she has (but be prepared for Mum to say no as she will be expecting you to provide), also maybe ask for a list of food she has tried to help you plan in future.

If she is Baby Led Weaned, this makes it easier. Give Mum a copy of your menu to check if there are any typical reactive food on it that LO hasn't tried yet, then she just eats the same as everybody else.
yes I will learn from this making more work for myself and yes already said to mum included in fees and all signed.didn't really want to be making hot meals for dinner may do some bulk cook and freeze options OH does a great home made veg soup.
Tashx

kellib
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I have a 9 month starting this week, I'm providing her food as her Mum said she's really easy to feed. She apparently eats finger food at lunchtime so we'll see how we get on!

Mum says she eats toast, sandwiches (really squashed down lol), wraps, pittas, cold meat etc. It's been that long since I had a 9 month old that I can't remember what I fed mine :laughing:

nikki thomson
03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I am the same. I ask all parents to provide food until they turn one as I think its easier that way!!

Me too, I use to provide snacks for little ones but the organix snacks etc are so expensive that I stopped doing it but the problem I then found was mum of 9mth old I had use to put a packet of wotsits in his bag which I hate with a passion.
I didn't have him for long as I was a stop gap until the nursery had a space for him. X

lynnfi
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
You have to know whether the baby is used to mashed food or has already been given normal food.
Once I know this I just prepare my usual menus and mash it all for the baby if it needs to be mashed, or part of it.
So today they are having slices of tomatoes with french dressing, cucumber sticks, avocado slices with houmous dip, pasta with melted cheese or potatoes, and salmon.
My 9 months old will have the cucumber sticks and avocado as finger food and the potatoes + salmon as mashed as it is her first day here and I want toassess how it goes.

Bridey
03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
The 9 month old I'm getting only started weaning last week so is on only one or two spoonfuls of puree food!

~Grasshopper~
03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
babies can have normal cows milk with cereals from 6mths - just check mum has tried it first.

i give weetabix and toast and fruit. snack would be toast and fruit, lunch well anything really from 6mths + they can try most unsalted meals. how about homemade soup and bread for everyone, pasta, beans on toast ect.

i provide all meals for all children, i just mention to mum in the morning if its something new to see if they have tried it before. i wouldnt give eggs for the first time but anything else i would try them.

x

Maza
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
From 6 months they can have cows milk on cereal so I give weetabix, oatibix or porride (these are the cereals mum said baby mindee has at home).

The weekend before my 9 month old mindee started I cooked a few meals and froze them in little pots. This saved loads of time and thought in the long run and they lasted for ages. I got the recipes from Annabel Karmels book - you could order it in your local library. I made things like cauliflower cheese, lentils, fish with sweet potatoes and veg, chicken casserole etc.

My mindee wasn't having snacks at that age as he had milk mid morning and mid afternoon which acted as a snack.

miffy
03-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I get parents to provide food until the child is one. If you've already agreed to provide food then ask mum for a list of foods the child likes and get her to send food the first week so you can see the amount and consistency the baby has.

Miffy xx

tash 1
03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
From 6 months they can have cows milk on cereal so I give weetabix, oatibix or porride (these are the cereals mum said baby mindee has at home).

The weekend before my 9 month old mindee started I cooked a few meals and froze them in little pots. This saved loads of time and thought in the long run and they lasted for ages. I got the recipes from Annabel Karmels book - you could order it in your local library. I made things like cauliflower cheese, lentils, fish with sweet potatoes and veg, chicken casserole etc.

My mindee wasn't having snacks at that age as he had milk mid morning and mid afternoon which acted as a snack.Thanks will have a noisy at Annabel Karmel Book.Are you sure you can give cows milk in cereal from 6 months?when mine were babies we were told to wait till year old? and thought I saw recommendation on a weaning site only the other day confused now?Tashx

PixiePetal
03-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I have used the Annabel Karmel book and frozen portions. I ask parents if there is anything in the recipe they have not tried first. I remember a one pot chicken dish which goes down well. and a courgette and pea one too:thumbsup:

Often they eat the same as everyone either mashed or chopped:)

tash 1
03-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I have used the Annabel Karmel book and frozen portions. I ask parents if there is anything in the recipe they have not tried first. I remember a one pot chicken dish which goes down well. and a courgette and pea one too:thumbsup:

Often they eat the same as everyone either mashed or chopped:)
Thanks do you use a blender?:)

PixiePetal
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks do you use a blender?:)

depends how chunky I need it! Usually kids are a bit older when they start with CM these days compared to when I started and babies came at 4 months or so and were fed 'real' food earlier than is recommended now :rolleyes:

depends on the age and stage of feeding really

mrs robbie williams
04-09-2012, 05:59 AM
ive got a space on my 'all about me' form for lo's asking for a list of what they eat at home, im always wary they will have a reaction if i give something new.
When my 8m now nrly 2yr mindee started she was on finger foods and it used to be pasta, grated cheese, ham, cucumber, rice cakes, toast, scrambled egg xx

singingcactus
04-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I no longer proved food, but when I did if the parent wanted the child fed on jarred food, then they provided it. I provided table food. Whatever everyone was eating, was what everyone was eating. I don't mush, or puree, the child feeds themselves what they are able to, then they have their milk.

loocyloo
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
depending on the age of babe, i usually ask mum to provide 'weaning' type foods, but once child eating 'everyday' food, that might just need a bit of extra chopping or mushing with a fork, then they eat what everyone else has!

usually, when a babe/Little LO starts, i ask mum to provide meals for the first few days, so i can guage an idea of portion size and what sort of foods mum gives. as i have had mums say 'oh yes, they eat chicken or fish or veg but actually, they only eat it in one particular form or mushed or something! :rolleyes:

Mollymop
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I know it doesn't help you, but I don't provide food, especially for very little ones. I ask that they bring a packed lunch - a child of 8 months will still need milk in the day so I would expect mum to bring all that baby needs, food wise, for the entire day x

LauraS
04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree re talking to mum as parents.seem to do.things so differently. I met q 2 year old still eating out of jars (the smooth mushed kind!) But my 9m old has never had anything mashed - he eats shredded wheat for breakfast, sandwiches, pitta fingers, wraps, breadsticks, hummus, cheese cubes, raisins, fruit cut small, veg and dips, rice cakes, anything we have really so long as its cut right - so it won't choke him and so it is easy for him to handle.