PDA

View Full Version : Difference between CYPW and NVQ

balijay
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Can someone please explain the difference between the CYPW Diploma L3 and the CCLD NVQ L3? I have recently started the diploma but am panicking now in case I should have done the NVQ. :eek: Or are they classed as the same thing with different names? (please say yes!)

bunyip
02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
AFAIK the NVQs are being phased out, though will retain their value if you already have one. At least, that's what my training centre told me when I asked about the NVQ and was put on the diploma course.

The idea of the 'level' numbers was to create a framework in which employers, etc. could understand the equivalence of different qualifications across the EU. So one level 3 certificate held the same value as another that was listed in the level 3 category, irrespective of whether you call it an NVQ, diploma, or a different name in Greek. I don't think it ever quite worked out like that in practice, cos the UK and 1 or 2 other countries couldn't agree on the exact framework.

balijay
02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Ok so it sounds like I am on the right path. Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest!