PDA

View Full Version : Tandom pushchair

Angela234
15-06-2008, 09:48 PM
How do you get on with tandom buggies i am looking at getting one have a side by side but we have a main road with no pathment buggy too wide.
So wondering what tandom you use? and what age children you have in them.

Angela

angeldelight
15-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Hope someone give you advice

I find it bad enough pushing the double one ha

Angel xx

crazybones
16-06-2008, 06:11 AM
I have a mothercare one. I hate it. I do have two 2 and a half year olds in it so it is really heavy. My shoulder is really suffering with it now so I am after a 3 wheel side by side. I always used to have a sidebyside and the only reason I got a tandem was the size of my front door but I have decided my shoulder/back are more important to me than having to struggle in and out the door a couple of times a day.

charleyfarley
16-06-2008, 06:24 AM
I have a graco stadium duo.

It is long and I find it quite heavy with a 2 1/2 and an almost 2 year old.

There are some good ones out there now so I would shop around, if you have the time .

I'm needing a side by side now with a buggy board and am not rushing into it as do not want to make a mistake this time

Good look with finding one

Carol xx

sarah707
16-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Too heavy - it gave me a bad back and shoulder after a day... it had to go! :panic:

babyandchild
16-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Hello

I use a phil and teds with the second seat attachment at the back. It's a 3 wheeler and really easy to push, the only bad thing about it is whoever is sitting at the back doesn't get a very good view.....they can only see out sideways! To be fair the children don't spend that much time in the pram so I don't see it as a problem!

I used to have a Mothercare Double Urban Detour - but found that too wide, then I had a Mothercare Hoxton, but foud that too heavy....theres just no pleasing me!

I think you just have to go with whats best for you...

Hope this helps

xx

deeb66
16-06-2008, 07:19 AM
I also have the Urban Detour double buggy (also have singles as well)

Yes it is quite wide and does get frustrating sometimes but have to say it is very light and so easy to push that I am willing put up with the width of it.

Since having one I haven't suffered with back aches cos of pushing it.......haven't really tried many of the others really as had my Detour for abut 6-7 years :thumbsup:

melanieabigail2004
16-06-2008, 08:00 AM
I have a Graco Stadium Duo and although it isn't the lightest thing in the world I don't have too many complaints with it - I think I would prefer a three wheeler but that's only because we go to a nearby forest a lot and it would be easy to go 'off road' with.

Mel

Mrs.L.C
16-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I used a tandem for about a year and it was ok...great that I could fit in shops easier but they are heavy esp with toddlers in but if you dont use it much then it shouldnt be a problem. Iv got the 3 wheeler 360 out n about nipper now which is alot easier to push and fits through doorways easier than other side by sides but still might not be any good for you

berkschick
16-06-2008, 08:07 AM
I have a Graco one and I have to say I am pleased with it. But then I had a useless cheap mothercare side by side before which was the worst pushchair I have ever owned. I normally have 2 22 months in it.

I have a triple 3 days a week so I guess the double would seem light to me :laughing:

Jinx
16-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I have a Phil and Teds Sport and its fantastic. :thumbsup:

So light and easy to push with 2 children in it. I have even managed to fit a buggy board on it for 3rd mindee in September!

I did have a cossatto duet lite and hated it. :panic: It was so heavy and difficult to get up and down pathments. Never again!!!

Jinx x

jaja
16-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi i have used both tandom and side by side, i found the tandom heavy but easy to get through doors! and side by side a pain to get through doors but more lighter, however i find the handles of mine quite difficult to hold in order to push it ( if you know what i mean!)

It depends on you and what u want, i would suggest going into different shops and trying them out, maybe borrow a friends first, dont rush in.

Good luck xxxx

MissTinkerbell
16-06-2008, 10:39 AM
OOOOoo my favourite subject. I've got twins, myself so have been resaerching double buggies over the last 2 years.

Started out with a side-by-side as couldn't have a tandem with 2 babbies!

Anyway as they got bigger I found my urban detour a tank and so heavy. It was great when they were tiny but wrecked my back as they got older.

Did loads of research and eventually decided upon Phil & Teds Sport Duo. It is fantastic. Its a 3-wheeler and a dream to push. It folds up the same size as my old single Urban Detour and I can manage to lift it easily into the back of the Galaxy. The good thing about it is that it can also be used as a single buggy too. Can be used for baby/toddler and toddler/toddler.

My only gripe is the lack of storage space for 'stuff'. DS will insist on emptying the contents of the shopping trolley if I put anything in there. My friend does have the panier bags which fit on the side but then this extends the width!

Angela234
16-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Thank you all for your great advice i don't know what to do if they are really heavy i have hills to walk up which ever way i go. i have look at some in shops not a lot in stores no more than 2 double/tandom in store.

In September i will have one just 2 year old (sept) one will be 2 in October and a 8 month but will be one of the older ones with baby or the 2 older ones, plus a 2 year 10 month old boy.

To get of my estate its either down 2 rows of 8 steps or a main road with no pavement.

I have a graco duo (side by side) got off ebay but brake keeps catching and locking as i go down steps and i can't move maybe i could look for another double. i would love a Phils and teds but they are expensive.

Angela

Twinkles
16-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Why don't you look in your local freecycle for a tandem. It might not be the most up to date one but at least you can get a feel for them. I have one from freecycle and don't find it heavy ( and I'm a bit of a wuss ). I find it much better for walking ' off road ' which is where most of my walking takes place.

Tatia
17-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Mine's from Mothercare (though I bought it for £35 second-hand from a friend). I find the tandem so much easier than a side-by-side. The problem with side-by-sides, for me, is that there is generally 1 child who is much heavier than the other and so one arm gets more of a work-out than the other and it makes cornering really tough!:D

Pudding Girl
19-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I used the tandem I got off Freecyle ( a Hauck one) the once and thought NO WAY! Have Refreecycled it now :D
I'd always go for a side by side over a tandem, in fact I rarely see a tandem now when I am out n around. It's always side by sides now.

I have got a Little Shield Meribel twin side by side, it fits through my front gate and front door, and also shop doors obviously. Great shopping baskets. It's nice high handles, roomy seats yet quite nippy. It was only £80 ish too so a bargain! A little heavy maybe, but I find it so easy to manouevre that I don't have to heave it about so don't notice. I really recommend it.

I borrowed the twins out n about 360 Nipper double and it was sooooooo light and could push it with just your little finger I reckon! I would have LOVED one but I couldn't get it through my door was just a cm too wide and of course the price.

jmoff
19-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I have an out n about side by side. It is really light to push, folds easily and it is not too heavy to put in a car boot, even though it takes up a lot of room.

How about jane slalom? Thats a 3 wheeler and looks really cool! I have been tempted and you can get a bargain off ebay!

Jx

Lottie
19-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I personally don't like Tandems. Far too heavy and cumbersome, well the one's I have used anyway! Instead this time I opted for a side by side one and it's fantastic. It fits through the average doorway in the house, it's light, really easy to push, really compact and will fold down really easily. It can also be free standing when folded down and it's so simple to put up and not at all bulky. Its called Graco Duo sport plus.