PDA

View Full Version : help how to tell parent

mushpea
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I have a 4yrold mindee who was due to start school this week but because they are moving and child ddint get in to the school they wanted I will still have her , could be for 2 weeks could be for 3months they just dont know but they wont be sending her to school till they move and they have the school of their choice,,therefore she still counts in my under 5s, because I thought i would be loosing her in september i have been looking to fill the space, somone has just contacted me asking for an imdieate start but as I have 3 under 5's I cant do this so am going to give notice to the 4yrold but how do i tell mum,
Mum dosent work so I would also being saying that I would understand if they didnt want me to work the notice and if they decided they didnt want to send her for the notice period i wouldnt charge so the other lady could start asap.
so any ideas of how I can word this to mum face to face without it getting complicated ?

The Juggler
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
hon, i would tell her you possibly have a new under 5 startng as her LO was starting school. That you can't afford not to take her on as her LO will be starting school eventually.

However, what you can do is vary your conditions for continuity of care until she starts school. I would do this, because you don't know what will happen with the enquiry and at least keeping your 4 year old will tide you over financially.

I know you can't vary for new business, so keep the 4 year old on her planned school contract for the timebeing, then take on new child if parent signs as you will have the space. Then vary the contract for the 4 year old as she now needs full time care again.

:thumbsup:

mindingmummy
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I personally would do a variation for this as its continuity of care for the child who should have been leaving. Make sure the parents are happy with it but its only temporary anyway until they start school. :idea:

bunyip
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
TBH, the least complicated way is to tell it like it is. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's the consequence of having made a decision on business grounds.

I suppose the only thing you can say in mitigation is that you knew the child was leaving eventually, had to think seriously about filling the place, and the start of the school year is a very normal time for new starters - hence you don't want to turn away a long-term customer for the sake of a few more weeks continued care for her lo.

I don't quite get your point, "that I would understand if they didnt want me to work the notice and if they decided they didnt want to send her for the notice period i wouldnt charge so the other lady could start asap." It looks more as if she'd be doing you the favour if she waives the notice period.

Are you prepared to work the notice period? I don't exactly know what the consequences might be for breaking the contract. Perhaps someone else can advise.

mushpea
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I am only offering to wave the notice period fee if they choose not to send her I am fully prepared to work the notice period.
i thought we couldnt vairy for new children? the 4yrold has never changed to a school contract as she wouldnt have been going to a local school to me if she had stayed as shes from the next villlage,
I wonder if this could be extenuating circumstancs as the parent needs someone straigth away
Oh is sooooo bloomin frustrating,

The Juggler
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=mushpea;1151247]I am only offering to wave the notice period fee if they choose not to send her I am fully prepared to work the notice period.
i thought we couldnt vairy for new children? the 4yrold has never changed to a school contract as she wouldnt have been going to a local school to me if she had stayed as shes from the next villlage,
I wonder if this could be extenuating circumstancs as the parent needs someone straigth away
Oh is sooooo bloomin frustrating,[/QUOTE

ok so if I understand right she would have been leaving you had she got into the school parents applied for?

So you should have (or could have) a notice letter or letter confirming contract would end on 1st September (this could be created now ;).

Then you take on new child if they want the space. Then you vary to take back on your 4 year old. :thumbsup:

blue bear
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
You have two children plus a four year old who you expected to leave, parent has asked you to hold onto child until they move house as child no longer going to school as scheduled.

You have new enquiry.

My take is you cannot takeon new child as other child has not left and not attending 10 school sessions.

I would say to mum I could no longer keep her child on as another permanent child has been booked in as you were expecting child to move Onto school, I would be more than happy to not work the notice period as per contracts as it will save parent money for the move.

jumpinjen
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
If Mum isn't working then not sure why they want to send her to a minder full time anyway - so you aren't dumping them in it by not having the child - word it by saying that as you were expecting her LO to leave, you had advertised the space and that a full time permanent child has come along and you unfortunately have to give notice for business reasons, and say how much you have enjoyed looking after her LO. But wait until the contract is signed obviously!

Jen x

mushpea
01-09-2012, 08:58 PM
If Mum isn't working then not sure why they want to send her to a minder full time anyway - so you aren't dumping them in it by not having the child - word it by saying that as you were expecting her LO to leave, you had advertised the space and that a full time permanent child has come along and you unfortunately have to give notice for business reasons, and say how much you have enjoyed looking after her LO. But wait until the contract is signed obviously!

Jen x

would you belive the 4yrold came to me over 2yrs ago with mum not working, she does 8-1pm was 5 days a week when reciving funding but has dropped to 3 days a weeks since the holiday, child is no problem when with me other than the ususal niggles for that age but with mum is a total nightmare cause mum has no 'voice' and lets child get away with murder therefore her coming to me is easier for mum i suppose.
if other parents signs I will be giving notice but 4yrold could still come 2 days a week, just different days to what she comes now so I think I will give notice for the days I cant do and give her the choice of a new contract with the days I could do

bunyip
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Jen x

Some parents do recognise the positive benefits of placing their lo with a CM, rather than it just being somewhere to deposit the lo whilst they get on with their career. She's obviously very pleased with the OP if she actually wants her child to be there. :clapping:

The Juggler
02-09-2012, 08:15 AM
if parent is not working hon, then I would def. give notice but offer her the free days - good idea.
:thumbsup: