PDA

View Full Version : What do six year old boys like to play with?

jumpinjen
31-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I know they're all different but some general tips would be good thanks!

Jen x

sophia36
31-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Guns, swords, knives ......................;)

Now for the things you are allowed to let them play with
hot wheels/small cars -provide books + tubes so they can set up stunts
action figures
castles
puzzles
books- 'You Choose' is fab
dinosaurs
dressing up (my 5 nearly six year old walked around exeter dressed as dracula all day yesterday, complete with make up!)
board games
outdoor resources should include lots of balls,beanbags,hoops etc
We have a swingball set which gets a lot of use
basketball hoop

Not an exhaustive list but hopefully a few ideas for you

~Grasshopper~
31-08-2012, 06:45 PM
my own 5 year old boy loves small world, cars, traintrack, any craft, hama beads, reading, drawing, dolls, fireman sam, roleplay.

x

jumpinjen
31-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Thank you, some great tips there - I have lots of wooden train track and my blockplay is well stocked, dinosaurs, tick, puzzles and books and games and outdoorsy stuff, tick - not many cars round here though - might have to break my resources embargo for some hotwheels, they sound fun!!! What sort of action figures?

Jen x

kellib
31-08-2012, 06:51 PM
My own son has just turned 7 and he's just getting into the Power Rangers so he loves any action figure, he also loves any kind of lego just now too.

He says he's too young for Thomas but he still plays with all his trains and tracks as well as his toy cars etc.

He also especially loves the Happyland toys I have for the younger kids :D

samsstars
31-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Lego is a firm fave in this house :)

sophia36
31-08-2012, 06:55 PM
action man, power rangers, knights, transformers ect. I 'm always picking bits up at bootsales.

jumpinjen
31-08-2012, 07:01 PM
You guys are the best! Thanks so much! I have girls of five and seven and when I've had school aged girls they all didn't get along so great so I'm hoping that boys will mix better - my two are very tomboyish anyway!

I'm off to ebay now - to heck with the embargo!!!!!

Jen x

VeggieSausage
31-08-2012, 07:02 PM
playmobile, football, the odd dvd, I have a 6 year old boy who likes to do a scrapbook, he has his own and can draw anything etc to go in it, shows his mum with pride, games, yobbing about in the garden :rolleyes: , mine like empty boxes bricks etc and loads of cars and trains and they make stunts and stuff as was previously said about hot wheels, baking pizza's/cakes etc.....

Bluebell
31-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I've got a 7 year old son and thought I couild answer this but I think its all been covered!!
yes to cars, trucks, trains, yes to dressing up - mine was a cowboy through town today including red glittery 'jessie' boots!
dinosaurs, transformers. also bikes, scooters, magicicians, playdoh, junk modelling - big massive boxes to make robots and trucks. making secret code key pads and night vision goggles and so on!

jumpinjen
31-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Oh my word - HOW many different types of transformer are there? Which should I go for? Jen x

sonyach
31-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Sorry I know but I've noticed they love their own bogeys:eek:

Sorry:laughing:

jumpinjen
31-08-2012, 08:56 PM
:laughing: does that come under sensory play then? :laughing:

FussyElmo
31-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh my word - HOW many different types of transformer are there? Which should I go for? Jen x

Optimus, bumblebee, megatron, star screen, ironhide.

My ds 5 loves superhero toys, the batcave keeps him amused for ages.

The 7yo who i look after likes power rangers, star wars, ben 10, superheros, junk modelling any sort of craft, ball, sticks, nerf guns :D

(we dont let the nerf guns come out though there are ours)

jumpinjen
01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Optimus, bumblebee, megatron, star screen, ironhide.

My ds 5 loves superhero toys, the batcave keeps him amused for ages.

The 7yo who i look after likes power rangers, star wars, ben 10, superheros, junk modelling any sort of craft, ball, sticks, nerf guns :D

(we dont let the nerf guns come out though there are ours)

hahaha - I bought my nephew a nerf gun for Christmas just to wind my sister in law up -he loves it, wondering what I can get this Christmas to top it - cross bow maybe lol?!

I've never heard of ben 10 - most of the rest I have!!

Thanks! Jen x

gegele
01-09-2012, 07:35 AM
if you have to spend money in super hero stuff i would buy some spiderman as he's never out of fashion.

dinosaurs

dressing up,

scooter,

i have a box with monster looking, dragon thingy, mcdonald toys... I keep wanting to get rid of as i have too many given and picked up on boot sales but they're so popular it's difficult

oh and they love playing with balls ;)

FussyElmo
01-09-2012, 08:15 AM
hahaha - I bought my nephew a nerf gun for Christmas just to wind my sister in law up -he loves it, wondering what I can get this Christmas to top it - cross bow maybe lol?!

I've never heard of ben 10 - most of the rest I have!!

Thanks! Jen x

We have a crossbow :blush::blush:- its hawkeyes from the avengers. We have 15 nerf guns :blush::blush:

But really they have been brought for my dh we have a family shoot out - not sure what that says about us as a family though :rolleyes:

jumpinjen
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
We have a crossbow :blush::blush:- its hawkeyes from the avengers. We have 15 nerf guns :blush::blush:

But really they have been brought for my dh we have a family shoot out - not sure what that says about us as a family though :rolleyes:

My friend has four boys and a girl and all the boys and her husband had nerf guns for Christmas and were having massive wars round the house - so she got two more so they could defend themselves - I think the marines would be impressed by the nerf arsenal in that house!!!!!

Crossbow it is then lol........:D

Kiddleywinks
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Empty boxes and tubes
Glue
Paints

Even at this age boys still like crafty stuff

I'm sure there's a link somewhere to the original 'Blue Peter Tracy Island'

jumpinjen
01-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Empty boxes and tubes
Glue
Paints

Even at this age boys still like crafty stuff

I'm sure there's a link somewhere to the original 'Blue Peter Tracy Island'

Brilliant - we have loads of junk modelling and crafty stuff already set up so that should be good!

Jen x

jumpinjen
01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
So I've been looking around - how cool are ben 10? Love the names too!

Hot wheels just seem to be metal die cast cars, am I missing something or is that what they are?

Have Auction sniper on the case for a few joblots, will see what comes up!

Thanks again for your help! Jen x

FussyElmo
01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
So I've been looking around - how cool are ben 10? Love the names too!

Hot wheels just seem to be metal die cast cars, am I missing something or is that what they are?

Have Auction sniper on the case for a few joblots, will see what comes up!

Thanks again for your help! Jen x

Quite like watching ben 10 :blush::blush::blush:

Hot wheels are just some do have tracks. Must admit they have never seemed to work very well when I have brought them in the past

jumpinjen
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Hmmmm..... might relegate hotwheels to the carbooting list then, there's always the NCT sale coming up - I seem to remember my brother having micro machines or something similar when we were kids, are they still around?

Jen x

FussyElmo
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm..... might relegate hotwheels to the carbooting list then, there's always the NCT sale coming up - I seem to remember my brother having micro machines or something similar when we were kids, are they still around?

Jen x

Yes you can we have some power ranger ones somewhere :thumbsup:

mandy moo
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Micro machines - ours are ancient :)
Toys R Us used to sell them and Argos used to too, dont know if they still do.

Hot wheels always go down well Ive found
Knex
Magnetix <sp?> need to keep these away from very little ones tho