PDA

View Full Version : variation decision

JCrakers
31-08-2012, 03:02 PM
I can see the variation decisions are going to be a headache for me. I've already got one in place for Monday because I've got 3 EY and a schoolie who doesn't start school full time until Thursday so needs picking up at 1pm. She usually comes thurs/fri but Mums a teacher and needs to go into work for the new Year starting. Ive RA and filled out forms to show. Variation is only needed for 2hrs..that was straight forward

But I need your opinions on this. I think Im going to have to say no but its a real shame as I used to look after her other two children :(

I have been asked to take on a baby in Feb2013 part time (3 days a week) and full time in May. Baby will be 5-6months. At the moment I have space on weds and fri's but really want this baby as my full timer of 40hrs a week leaves mid July and will return in Sept as a schoolie.
So the baby will take the place of my full timer.

Here's my week as it will be in Feb:

Mon & Tues:
4yr old 8am-6pm
3yr old 9-3pm
13m old 11.30-5pm

Weds are fine:
4yr old 8am-6pm
3yr old 9-3pm

Thurs:
4yr old 8am-6pm
3yr old 9am-4pm
2yr old 8am-6pm

Fri's are fine:
3yr old 9-4pm
2 yr old 8-6pm

I can offer Mum two days definitely but she needs 3 days. :(
Is this definitely a No?

sarah707
31-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Can you be absolutely sure those children will still be with you next year?

it might be worth hanging on just a little longer - at least until Nov time - before making a final decision :D

JCrakers
31-08-2012, 03:39 PM
I know you can never say for sure but I can't see anything changing before then and now. They are all well established children. The only way things would change if parent loses a job and they've all got pretty good jobs. The 4 and 3yr old have both been with me since 8m old.

It's just a shame that I'll have to say no and then 2months later lose a full timer. :(

Bluebell
31-08-2012, 07:34 PM
you can't take child on 3 days if you only have 2 days as its new business - not continuity of care.
But it is a long time away and things change quickly. Perhaps - and this is perhaps a bit naughty (- I am not sure?) but if the child came to you a month earlier for 1 day a week for some 'settling in' sessions then it would be continuity of care because 1 - she would be settled with you and 2 - you would be able to assess how the child is and whether you could accomodate her needs and the children already in your care. I think this should really only be an option if there is no alternative care available in your area. Having said that I think because the overlap is for a short period it gives extra weight to your consideration.
It is a shame that Ofsted do not have an advice line for situations like this that are not clearly defined! Good luck x

miffy
31-08-2012, 09:46 PM
This is barmy to me - if mum only wanted two days then you could do it and then 3 months later when she goes full time you could have a variation under continuity of care for the other three days until your other full timer leaves in July but because mum wants three days not two to start with on the face of it you should turn it away.

The answer would be to start the baby one month before mum needs to return to work on the two days you have space, then grant yourself a variation for the extra day needed when she actually returns to work, but I didn't tell you to do that :panic:

Miffy xx

cupcake22
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
This is barmy to me - if mum only wanted two days then you could do it and then 3 months later when she goes full time you could have a variation under continuity of care for the other three days until your other full timer leaves in July but because mum wants three days not two to start with on the face of it you should turn it away.

The answer would be to start the baby one month before mum needs to return to work on the two days you have space, then grant yourself a variation for the extra day needed when she actually returns to work, but I didn't tell you to do that :panic:

Miffy xx

I thought that aswell but i didny tell you do that either :panic:

cupcake22

The Juggler
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Miffy xx

i would do this too but just think carefully if you really want 4 children 4 days per week once she does go full time.

Mummits
02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
I'd be tempted to ask Mum if there is any way she could get by with two days a week to start (maybe calling on friends/relatives to help out or herself and partner using up a few days leave) to cover February to May then think about a variation just for June and July.

~Grasshopper~
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
just start the little one on 2 days then once started grant yourself the variation simple :).

ofted told me to do it that way last year when i needed a variation for new business. they said sign contracts and email the variation form over on day 1. was granted no bother.

x

JCrakers
02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I did think about offering two days to start with. These variations rules don't include these scenarios but it's crazy as I went 15m last year without 1 single enquiry. If I was to turn this full time child away I could be waiting another 15m for another child. but it's only for a matter of a few weeks.

When mum returns full time I would only have 4 children for about 6-7 weeks. New baby is going to be term time only so that rules out a week in June too. So from may until July.
Mons and tues I would have 4 only between 1130 and 3pm (3.5hrs)
Thurs I would have 4 children between 9-4pm (7hrs)

Then on July 12th when school breaks up and my term time 4yr old stops coming she will return in September at full time school.