PDA

View Full Version : Policy wording question

VeggieSausage
31-08-2012, 11:25 AM
In my accident, injury policy I state:

'First, I reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe. This may mean strapping a baby in a buggy or sitting an older child somewhere safe where I can see them.'

now with the new legislation about informing parents if I have had to physically restrain/intervene how does this affect my policy on having to strap a baby in a buggy if I am tending to an injured child.....do I need to include something, or take it out totally, or is it enough to have written in another policy that if I need to physically intervene I will fill out form and get them to sign.....

sarah707
31-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Hmmm I can see what you are saying...

There is a difference between physical intervention in its true sense - grabbing a child's hood to stop them running in the road and them saying you tried to strangle them so it needs writing up for example...

And putting a child in a buggy because you are keeping them safe.

I don't personally feel that putting a child in a buggy is what physical intervention (especially as it is linked to behaviour management) means.

What do others think? :D

VeggieSausage
31-08-2012, 11:42 AM
just wondered if it would be viewed as restraint?

blue bear
31-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Surely putting a child in a buggy and strapping themin for whatever reason cannot be counted as physical intervention.
So if you put lo in while you see to a child with a cut head, how does that differ to putting them in buggy so you can walk to school to collect another child.

caz3007
31-08-2012, 11:57 AM
just wondered if it would be viewed as restraint?

But then wouldnt we have to log that every time we put a LO in a buggy. I can see where you are coming from and see why you are worried, but its all gone mad....and thats not directed at you in any way

You are just putting a LO in a safe place whilst you deal with a child that needs you more

Rubybubbles
31-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Def no, not needed! You are not putting the child in there to stop them from their behaviour

AliceK
31-08-2012, 12:19 PM
In my eyes physical intervention would be if I had to, like Sarah said grab a childs hood / coat, or restrain a child to stop them hurting themselves or others. Normal day to day actions I would not count as physical intervention and certainly not strapping a child in a buggy for the reason you have stated. I think I can only think of 1 situation in the past that I have done which I would class as physical intervention and that was to grab a 2yr olds hood when he didn't stop when I called him on a walk to school and we were nearing a road. Putting a child in a buggy is not restraint unless you have done it during a temper tantrum where a little more force than usual might have been used, that I would write up.

xx

VeggieSausage
31-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I suppose I was thinking of the situation as if maybe if there was a hurt child and I needed to put an upset child in a buggy to keep theme there and safe, while I tended to injured child etc. If they objected to the buggy would it be physical intervention.....I once asked NCMA advice about a screaming child who had major tantrums and I said if you strap them in a buggy they often calm down very quickly and they told me under no circumstances was I do that as this was regarded as restraint and unacceptable.....mmmm all very confusing and seems a bit OTT....

I see what everyone is saying tat no it isn't physical intervention, just wanted to check what everyone thought, incase Ofsted pulled me up on my policy.

caz3007
31-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I suppose I was thinking of the situation as if maybe if there was a hurt child and I needed to put an upset child in a buggy to keep theme there and safe, while I tended to injured child etc. If they objected to the buggy would it be physical intervention.....I once asked NCMA advice about a screaming child who had major tantrums and I said if you strap them in a buggy they often calm down very quickly and they told me under no circumstances was I do that as this was regarded as restraint and unacceptable.....mmmm all very confusing and seems a bit OTT....

I see what everyone is saying tat no it isn't physical intervention, just wanted to check what everyone thought, incase Ofsted pulled me up on my policy.

But surely the safest place for the uninjured child is in the buggy or they could run off whilst your attention is elsewhere. I suppose if the said child was upset it would be worth documenting it as intervention just to cover yourself, but if child was fine, then I dont think I would.

My priority would obviously be the injured child and the other one isnt going to be hurt by having to sit in the buggy for a while, even if its cross about it.

AliceK
31-08-2012, 04:02 PM

If it's any consulation mine says the same thing and Ofsted didn't pull me up on it :thumbsup:

xxx