PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice please possible concussion

smurfette
31-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Lo arrived this am with godmother having split his lip falling on way to the bus this am. Quite pale and tired which I put down to him just having had a fright (though would have been a good half hour before I had him) but he fell asleep then in the car. Seems kind of sleepy which could be cos I think he is getting a cold but could It be concussion from hitting his face? Or does that only happe hitting his head at the back or sides? Eating now, I didn't let him sleep in case! What should I do?

jelly15
31-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Lo arrived this am with godmother having split his lip falling on way to the bus this am. Quite pale and tired which I put down to him just having had a fright (though would have been a good half hour before I had him) but he fell asleep then in the car. Seems kind of sleepy which could be cos I think he is getting a cold but could It be concussion from hitting his face? Or does that only happe hitting his head at the back or sides? Eating now, I didn't let him sleep in case! What should I do?

Ring the parents and tell them to meet you at the doctors as he needs to be checked out. Best to be sure.

smurfette
31-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Bit tricky who to ring ... Should I ring godmother (who flaps and panics) and ask her exactly what happened or ring mum who won't have known it happened and maybe get her into trouble? Relationship between mum and godmother bit strained at the mo

The Juggler
31-08-2012, 08:56 AM
who has parental responsibility hon. doesn't matter who brought him you need to call mum.

say you weren't concerned this morning as it was just a cut lip but in hindsight you are now concerned that he might have bumped his head. Ask her to meet you at A&E.

Then I'd ring godmother in the interim and inform her that you are concerned and is there any possibility he might have hit his head as he seems sleepy etc. Tell her you are going to get him checked out at a&e and meeting mum there - that way at least she knows. Not your problem that they are not getting on.

It is probably nothign but you do need to check it hon.

JCrakers
31-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Ring the granny and ask her if he hit his head. My dd had concussion once.
She was pale, blue lips, sweaty and clammy.

I took her to the hospital and surprisingly they said she could sleep but to check her every 10 mins. I wouldn't recommend that on a mindee though :eek:

Conclusion can cause sickness. If he's sick at all you need to go to a&e

I would ask granny and also ring mum or dad.

smurfette
31-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks y'all... Couldn't get godmother, rang mum who said he was quite tired and lethargic last night and he is definitely stuffed up this am, she says not like him to be drowsy In the am and he slept well but it could be cold.. Asked me to watch him for a bit and contact her if I think he needs Checking out .. Happy wih this as he seems a bit brighter now.. Thanks for advice!

VeggieSausage
31-08-2012, 10:58 AM
when kids get a shock when they hurt themselves it can cause sleepiness, once took a child to casualty after bumping their head and going very sleepy, they said it was shock, let them sleep but watched and take their temperature, if it rises you need to go in to A&E....hope lo ok now x

smurfette
31-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you he seems very tired and sleepy and is sleeping now as it is his normal
Rest time .. Mum said it is probably the cold (she gave him medication this am but no one told me good job I didn't give him some grr!) will
Check his temp and see can I rouse him regularly .. His pupils seem fine