PDA

View Full Version : age of assistant?

migimoo
30-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know the minimum age for someone to be registered as my assistant?
Also what checks/training do they need to have under the new rules?

sarah707
30-08-2012, 08:06 PM
The minimum age is clarified in the Eyfs as 17... and they need the normal CRB check.

They should, by rights, be treated as staff and have a staff handbook, policies (whistleblowing and others) and ongoing training ... but it really depends on who they are and how long they are working with you.

You probably wouldn't do all that, for example, for your teenage son who was helping out for a few hours.

however, they do need to know the basics - safeguarding, emergency procedures, how not to lose a child etc.

hth :D

tamsin
30-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Under 17s are fine if you want more of a helper (they aren't banned completely), it's just you can't count them when working out ratios and they must always be supervised. It would be your responsibility to ensure they were suitable though and you'd have to check laws on how many hours they could work - I know when I was a kid there was a limit on how many hours we could volunteer per week whilst still in school.

As Sarah says, a lot depends on who they are and the exact arrangement. They'll need a first aid cert. too if they are going to be in sole care at any point.

tammys-tots
30-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Its 16 I registered my daughter last year but you are not allowed to increase your numbers until the are 17

sarah707
31-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Its 16 I registered my daughter last year but you are not allowed to increase your numbers until the are 17

Now... see... this is where I get cross with them.

I tried to register my 16 year old at the start of the summer holidays and was told I had to wait until he is 17 :rolleyes:

I don't want to change my numbers, just get a letter in place for parents to say he is ok as my assistant.

Ah well only 3 more weeks to go! :D

tamsin
31-08-2012, 01:03 PM
That doesn't seem fair, to me the EYFS implies you can have under 17's as staff (when supervised) so you should be able to register him:

3.28 Only those aged 17 or over may be included in ratios (and staff under
17 should be supervised at all times).

I was registered as an assistant at 15, but that was quite a while ago now ;)

tammys-tots
31-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Now... see... this is where I get cross with them.

I tried to register my 16 year old at the start of the summer holidays and was told I had to wait until he is 17 :rolleyes:

I don't want to change my numbers, just get a letter in place for parents to say he is ok as my assistant.

Ah well only 3 more weeks to go! :D

yeah well my daughter had her crb done at 16 asked several times if i could increase my numbers they all said yes once it was done and she was ok to be my assistant, about 8 weeks later they confirmed her as my assistant, sent form off few weeks later got phone call saying cant increase your numbers until jan 2012 when shes 17. I told him i was told several times that i would be allowed more children his reply was 'yes i have had alot of cm complain about being given the wrong info on assistants age lol and they grade us they cant even do their job right!

migimoo
02-09-2012, 05:14 PM
That is annoying-I just want my 16yr old neighbour to help out on Tuesdays for 3 hours as this is the only time I am at full capacity for under 5's.

In other words-if she helped me I thought i'd be able to offer 1 more full time space....oh well!