PDA

View Full Version : How long do you keep paperwork?

primula
30-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi all, what do you all consider to be a 'reasonable period of time' to keep paperwork of children that have left?

rickysmiths
30-08-2012, 12:57 PM
You have to keep any Accident/Incident/medication paperwork until the child reaches the age of 21yrs. This is because they have a 3 year period form when they reach 18yrs to make a claim against you in their own right. So in fact it is recommended we keep the paperwork for a few months after the 21st birthday.

I choose to keep the child's file with all the copies of contracts etc because I'm sure I would remember all the details years on of every child and the insurance details are recorded on the Contract in case I ever decide to change my insurer.
I also keep my attendance Registers so I have proof that if a claim was made that the child was or wasn't in my care at the time, this is one reason i have always got my parents to sign it as well.

I now add photos of the child and parents to this record when a child leaves. Again for the memory thing.

I have been childminding for 18yrs and last year I shredded my first files :laughing:

Accounting records need to be kept for 6yrs I am just about to shred all my stuff from 2005-6.

sarah707
30-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Ricky knows her stuff :D

rickysmiths
30-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Thank you Sarah :blush:

sarah707
30-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Thank you Sarah :blush:

Waiting for a 'like' button.... :D