PDA

View Full Version : Panicking now!!

melco
29-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi,

Next week I have three new children starting. At the moment I have 9months Tuesday to Friday 7.45-4.45pm, a 19month old on a Wednesday 9.15-2.15pm and also a 4 yr old a couple of days a week who will be starting school in September and also an 8yr old and 6yr old a couple of days during the holidays.

From september I will be taking the 4 year old to school 3 mornings a week, he will be at my house for approx 45mins and having breakfast. From what was explained for the new EYFS I won't have to do any planning or EYFS for him as I will not have time. Is that correct? I may have him in the holidays and he turns 5 in October would I need to be doing any EYFS and planning for him then? :eek:

Then also next week I have a 14month old starting who will be 2.30pm-6.30pm so I know I will be doing EYFS for him, thats fine.

Then I have a 9 and 10yr old after school TTO 3.30-6.30pm, what should I be doing for them with regards to planning?

I am kind of wishing I was not taking on after school children as am worried about how stressed I may get, I always said that I would only take on under 5's but am too nice so when I received the phone call regarding the other children and the parents came round and within 10 mins they decided they wanted me I could not say no!! What have I let myself in for?

Thanks for your help and I hope the above makes sense

melco

jumpinjen
29-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi,

Next week I have three new children starting. At the moment I have 9months Tuesday to Friday 7.45-4.45pm, a 19month old on a Wednesday 9.15-2.15pm and also a 4 yr old a couple of days a week who will be starting school in September and also an 8yr old and 6yr old a couple of days during the holidays.

From september I will be taking the 4 year old to school 3 mornings a week, he will be at my house for approx 45mins and having breakfast. From what was explained for the new EYFS I won't have to do any planning or EYFS for him as I will not have time. Is that correct? I may have him in the holidays and he turns 5 in October would I need to be doing any EYFS and planning for him then? :eek: No - he is at school, some people keep scrap books of holiday photos for parents but you don't have to do a huge LJ as he is at school - remember though that we are supposed to work in partnership so keeping up to date with newsletters etc from the school might be useful so you know what he's doing

Then also next week I have a 14month old starting who will be 2.30pm-6.30pm so I know I will be doing EYFS for him, thats fine.

Then I have a 9 and 10yr old after school TTO 3.30-6.30pm, what should I be doing for them with regards to planning? nothing - just feed and provide entertainments, chat and care!

I am kind of wishing I was not taking on after school children as am worried about how stressed I may get, I always said that I would only take on under 5's but am too nice so when I received the phone call regarding the other children and the parents came round and within 10 mins they decided they wanted me I could not say no!! What have I let myself in for?
You will just have to see how it goes - make some groundrules with them early on to set the boundaries they cannot cross, ask them what they like to do - get them to help prep snacks and drinks for everyone etc.....
Thanks for your help and I hope the above makes sense

melco

I have added a few ideas but I get stressed with loads of after schools so not the best person to reassure you! Plenty on here love the after schoolies though and find them great fun so try it and see how you go! Jen x

melco
29-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much for your reply.

Sometimes I read threads on here and feel I am not doing things right or not doing enough.

I will see how things go. You never know I might enjoy it :D

jumpinjen
29-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I think you will find your way over time - the older ones often enjoy the crafts etc that you might plan for the younger ones and the younger ones can benefit from their company so if the timings work you could save some of those for after school and find that the older ones are very helpful!!!

Jen x

gegele
30-08-2012, 06:51 AM
having 1 or 2 bigger ones helps sometimes :)
girls tend to play the big sister, help little ones, creates games... they're a bit like little helpers
BUT they can try to carry children, be a bit bossy and control all games!!

younger boys love older boys to copy. so it can help your dynamic BUT you need to make sure that the older boy doesn't display too rough behaviour as a younger on ewon't have the same control...

All fun and game LOL

i have 6children between 1 and 7, 2girls 4 boys and it works well... most of the time:D

we spend a lot of time with other minder who also have 6 with older ones and we have fantastic time as they have a great dynamic, they go by group and there are baraly any argument.

when i had 1mindee i had more problem as it wasn't working with DD.

good luck:thumbsup: