PDA

View Full Version : Craft storage

handeme
29-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't have the luxury of a play room but I have a large kitchen diner and living room with free access to the garden.

I have ordered myself a smaller table and I was planning on making a corner of my kitchen diner into a toy area.

I currently have expedit units in my living room with toys in and then a really big under the stairs storage that I have shelved for the toys. I rotate the toys and all the crafts are stored in there until we need them.

I was wanting to bring some of the crafts out and store them so the kiddies can see them bit I wondered how you all did it? I am not one for clutter so it needs to be neat and tidy too x

SandCastles
29-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I took photos of all my craft things and printed them out in a collage type of A4 - the children know how to ask for the items and can even point to them, so you can get them out for them.
If we find a craft that they would like to do e.g. from a kids magazine or online, we check the list of materials needed with my photo list, then if needbe make a shopping list and go craft shopping.
I give the older children the photo and ask them to do a stock check for me (counting and colours) especially of coloured felt tips (never any black and pink!)
I use to have a cat litter tray with all the pencils, scissors, glue, pens and paper chucked into it but it became a little too messy and unorganised, so now I only store the paper in it and the other items out of reach with lids on them in ice cream tubs (not see-through)

loocyloo
29-08-2012, 09:03 AM
you can get plastic drawer tower things! this sort of thing.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9064133/Trail/searchtext%3EPLASTIC+STORAGE.htm

i used to use one and have paint in one drawer, pens pencils etc in another one, paper in a third & glue/'collage' bits in another. ( all in their own little boxes within the drawers! ( i'm a bit OCD about craft stuff ;) can't bear it all getting mixed up, unless i mix it up! )

but i did find some children would just get everything out, so i ended up with a smaller set of drawers with just paper, stickers, a little bit of collage stuff, and colouring sheets ( my older ones love them ) in and then pens/pencils/glue in pots on a shelf that they had to ask to access!

i know LO should have access to mark making at all times, but i have some magna doodle boards out all the time and we often have the chalk boards or aquadraw out!

BucksCM
29-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I have simple craft items in my playroom that the older children can access themselves(a little too high for little ones!)...pens, pencils, paper, stickers, scissors, drawing templates...they are in plastic drawers in my bookcase...all neat and tidy!
I am lucky to have a back room("the shed") that holds the rest of my art stuff!!
Ask Rickysmiths...she's seen it!!
It's all boxed up in either larger boxes with themes...valentines, easter, mother's/father's day, chinese new year, halloween...
Or smaller "take away" boxes with pompoms, sequines, pegs, wobbly eyes, pipe cleaners...etc...etc...
Having been a cm for 18 years, I have collected A LOT of stuff!!

AliceK
29-08-2012, 09:17 AM

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9064133/Trail/searchtext%3EPLASTIC+STORAGE.htm

i used to use one and have paint in one drawer, pens pencils etc in another one, paper in a third & glue/'collage' bits in another. ( all in their own little boxes within the drawers! ( i'm a bit OCD about craft stuff ;) can't bear it all getting mixed up, unless i mix it up! )

but i did find some children would just get everything out, so i ended up with a smaller set of drawers with just paper, stickers, a little bit of collage stuff, and colouring sheets ( my older ones love them ) in and then pens/pencils/glue in pots on a shelf that they had to ask to access!

i know LO should have access to mark making at all times, but i have some magna doodle boards out all the time and we often have the chalk boards or aquadraw out!

I have the same sort of thing in the playroom with paper, card, pens, crayons, crafty bits, glue etc in but the paints I keep in a lockable kitchen cupboard. I will set the paints up at the kitchen table if the children ask but they're not having free access to them :panic:

xxx

handeme
29-08-2012, 09:37 AM
That's what I already have them in, they are all sorted under my stairs. I was wanted ideas of tidy storage for them I can leave out.

The plastic boxes are ideal but I wanted something more nicer looking, if you know what I mean.

For instance a friend of line has all her pencils in a big wooden fruit bowl x

Mouse
29-08-2012, 09:44 AM
I have a couple of these

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/new_just_arrived/Arts-&-Crafts-Carry-Caddy/10000002385

loocyloo
29-08-2012, 10:35 AM
i see,

i have my pens etc in wooden box/drawer thing from ikea now

kel1983
29-08-2012, 01:22 PM

we have something similar but with 6 drawers. Jammed full of crafts. They love it. especially the schoolies