PDA

View Full Version : Young children telling lies

AliceK
28-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi
I have a 3yr old and a nearly 4yr old. I was spying on them (observing) them playing when older child accidently tripped the younger child over. Younger child was not hurt but older child came and told me that he had accidently tripped younger child over. Younger child starts to cry and comes to me. She tells me "E hit me". I say "what happened?" She says "E hit me". I say "What really happened?" She says "E pushed me".
Now I know what really happened and I understand that at 3yrs old a child might not really understand what a lie / fib is but I'm slightly concerned that this child could say something untrue about either me or any of the other children. So what do I do about it? Write it up? Do I get parent to sign or just write it up for my records?

xxxx

smurfette
28-08-2012, 02:59 PM
One of my mindees aged 2.5 is very prone to lying,like that I saw her interaction with one of my kids and she said she had done something she hadnt! I looked it up and apparently its a sign of high intelligence! I would write it up and mention it to mum, I said to her mum in a jokey way 'you will never guess what happened' I softened it by telling her it was because she is bright, she said she had seen her do it at home saying her baby sister did something (aged 4 months!) so at least I knew it wouldnt be out of the blue if I denied something she said I had done! Bit scary eh?!

lynnfi
28-08-2012, 03:57 PM
It sounds as if the child did not really understand what happened to him.

He only knew that x was involved in his fall, and translated it into "hit", then seing your reaction he re-phrased it to "pushed".

Nothing to worry about really! I have had the case several times. This should not, imo, be classified as a "lie". Far from it.

Hope this helps.

AliceK
28-08-2012, 04:03 PM
It sounds as if the child did not really understand what happened to him.

He only knew that x was involved in his fall, and translated it into "hit", then seing your reaction he re-phrased it to "pushed".

Nothing to worry about really! I have had the case several times. This should not, imo, be classified as a "lie". Far from it.

Hope this helps.

I understand about the not really knowing what a "Lie" is bit and the child being young but I'm referring to safeguarding myself and others from other things the child may not understand and tell others.

xx

sarah707
28-08-2012, 04:59 PM
It is very important that you write it up and make sure parents are aware of the situation.

Lies about what other children do can easily morph into 'my childminder hit me' and that becomes worrying :(

Hopefully some stories about what happens when you tell lies / consequences role play etc will help the phase to pass xx

AliceK
28-08-2012, 06:05 PM
It is very important that you write it up and make sure parents are aware of the situation.

Lies about what other children do can easily morph into 'my childminder hit me' and that becomes worrying :(

Hopefully some stories about what happens when you tell lies / consequences role play etc will help the phase to pass xx

Thank you Sarah. This was my concern so I wrote it up as an Incident and got parent to sign :thumbsup:

xx